Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

"Threshold" to be Called Windows 9, Ship in April 2015

• Please log in to reply

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Microsoft tries to put Windows 8 in the rear-view mirror
Paul Thurrott - Jan. 11, 2014

In some ways, the most interesting thing about Threshold is how it recasts Windows 8 as the next Vista. It's an acknowledgment that what came before didn't work, and didn't resonate with customers. And though Microsoft will always be able to claim that Windows 9 wouldn't have been possible without the important foundational work they had done first with Windows 8—just as was the case with Windows 7 and Windows Vista—there's no way to sugarcoat this. Windows 8 has set back Microsoft, and Windows, by years, and possibly for good.

:(

Advertisements

KiwiProbie

KiwiProbie

• PipPipPip
  • 464 posts
Awesome do you know what type of security windows 9 will have on it?

Is it going to be a free upgrade like windows 8.1 is?

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
From the article:

Microsoft will not be providing developers with an early alpha release of "Threshold" at BUILD, [April 2-4, 2014 at the Moscone Center in San Francisco] and for a good reason: The product won't even begin development until later that month. Right now, Microsoft is firming up which features it intends to deliver in this release.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
So skipping 8.1 and 8.2 is the way to go for me, just hang in there until 9.

I hope they do have a few pre-releases to play with.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Also from the article:

Three milestones. Microsoft expects to deliver three milestone releases of "Threshold" before its final release. It's unclear what these releases will be called (Beta, Release Candidate, etc.) or which if any will be provided to the public.

Meowware

Meowware

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
I really hope they bring the Start Menu back in Windows 9.

KiwiProbie

KiwiProbie

• PipPipPip
  • 464 posts
They recon that they are going to have a classic thing like windows 7 but still be able to use "Metro applications" from what I read today they are going to be showing the windows 9 in there presentation thinggy this April.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Microsoft tries to put Windows 8 in the rear-view mirror
Paul Thurrott - Jan. 11, 2014

At the BUILD developer conference in April 2014, Microsoft will discuss its vision for the future of Windows, including a year-off release codenamed "Threshold" that will most likely be called Windows 9.
No bits at BUILD. Microsoft will not be providing developers with an early alpha release of "Threshold" at BUILD, and for a good reason: The product won't even begin development until later that month. Right now, Microsoft is firming up which features it intends to deliver in this release.

KiwiProbie

KiwiProbie

• PipPipPip
  • 464 posts
Jsut thought to share a bit of something that I got from an app that I have in windows 8.1:

Microsoft employees refer to Windows 8 as "the new Vista"
Sun Jan 19 2014

If you don't like Windows 8, don't worry, you are not alone. Even the employees at Microsoft aren't very excited nor are they particularly proud of it. In fact, they like to refer it as "the new Vista" within the devices and services giant, at least according to a new report.

When Microsoft released Windows 8, a herd amount of its users didn't like it. The software giant had put so much emphasis on touch and swipe that the operating system became very hostile for regular desktop users. This wasn't the first time an operating system from Microsoft had received such bad reviews and negative feedback. The other operating system which shared the same fate was Windows Vista, which was a train wreck. So when Microsoft employees refer to Windows 8 as "the new Vista", it doesn't really come as a big surprise.

Microsoft watcher Paul Thurrott revealed on Twitter that this is exactly what's happening inside the firm. In follow up tweets, Paul explains how from the sales standpoint, this actually makes sense, since Windows 8 might not have sold as many copies as Windows Vista.

History suggests that Microsoft learns from its past failures and makes strong comebacks, as we saw in the case of Windows 7. The operating system fixed everything that was wrong with Windows Vista, and did it so well that Windows 7 is now the most used desktop operating system in the world. So can we expect the same from Windows 9?

SOOOOOooooooooo microsoft don't like there own version of windows 8?????? No supprises there, but what are they really thinking when they release things like this? Cause as it stands windows 8.1 does have some good stuff, like better security for files (the security tab im refurring to) but if they don't even like it why release it?

Also, is windows 8.1 a beta for windows 9????? It's really starting to make me think, cause I found out last night or the night before that IE 11 is a beta :confused: :ph34r: :ph34r:

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

SOOOOOooooooooo microsoft don't like there own version of windows 8?????? No supprises there, but what are they really thinking when they release things like this? Cause as it stands windows 8.1 does have some good stuff, like better security for files (the security tab im refurring to) but if they don't even like it why release it?

Apparently it didn't really matter what Microsoft's other 99,000 employees thought, as long as the Windows Development Team liked it. ;)

Also, is windows 8.1 a beta for windows 9?????

Microsoft is still firming up which features it intends to deliver in the next release of Windows.

It's really starting to make me think, cause I found out last night or the night before that IE 11 is a beta :confused: :ph34r: :ph34r:

The last developer preview release of Internet Explorer 11 was on July 25, 2013. The final version was released on October 17, 2013 for Windows 8.1 and on November 7, 2013 for Windows 7.

Edited by SpywareDr, 18 January 2014 - 08:02 AM.

Advertisements

KiwiProbie

KiwiProbie

• PipPipPip
  • 464 posts

Microsoft is still firming up which features it intends to deliver in the next release of Windows.

Hopefully it will be a [bleep] of a huge improvement, and hopefully with less crap, and still will allow local login, screw the email address login for logging into windows (I personally use Local Logins, I personally feel is more secure, since I use longer passwords on it).

Apparently it didn't really matter what Microsoft's other 99,000 employees thought, as long as the Windows Development Team liked it. ;)

I recon that sucks, because I think that they need to have a voice, I mean, at the end of the day they are human to, and a few of them would know if some of us would like it or not. :ph34r:

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
1) There were already many more than a "few of them" involved.

2) Many like Windows 8, but, so far many more don't. (Like Windows Me and Vista).

3) Many didn't like Windows XP when it was released either. They loved their Windows 9x. :)

KiwiProbie

KiwiProbie

• PipPipPip
  • 464 posts
Windows 9 hasn't been released yet, so how can they love it?

23red

23red

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,797 posts

Windows 9 hasn't been released yet, so how can they love it?

Windows 9x is prior to the Windows 2000 upgrade itself, I'm pretty sure. Started up as Windows 98 ~ Waaaaay back.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Correct, "9x" meaning Windows 95 (August 1995) and Windows 98 (June 1998).

Edited by SpywareDr, 19 January 2014 - 08:18 AM.