Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I need help! Vista Home Premium,Black Screen

• Please log in to reply

Sbipitchick

Sbipitchick

• Pip
  • 3 posts
On a computer that is not mine I installed System Mechanic to quickly get rid of some anoying-ware like FixZilla. I got stuck on 60% completed and never went any farther. The result was a black screen, it won't go past Acer at the begining and a little box after that, it says no signal. I have tried for a week to fix this. I would like to factory reset, a lot of the fixing it I see on line thinks it is my computer and I am worried that if I download from mine it will go on mine like new version Of Windows Vista. I am not super experience so I need a lot of easy instructions. Thanks for your time, the broken one is a Dell Optiplex 380 with Windows Vista Home Premium, 32 bit, monitor is Acer(black)????

Advertisements

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
On the broken Acer computer,

1 Turn it off.

2 Turn it back on and keep tapping the F8 key.

What we are trying to do here is get to the Advanced Boot Options menu That's a black screen with white letters on it.

Try it a few times. Hopefully you can get there!

If you do get that far, to the Advanced Boot Options menu use the "arrow" keys and select Safe Mode then hit enter on the keyboard. Let the computer boot to Safe Mode.

Please let us know if you can get that far, and we will provide more instruction, if you can get into Safe Mode we want to try a "System Restore".....

PS-- We should refrain from using programs like System Mechanic there registry cleaners and can make matters worse.

Do you have any discs for the computer ? Or do you have your own Vista disc by chance.

Thanks
Joe :)

Sbipitchick

Sbipitchick

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for the suggestion, I tried and got nothing but I did notice a new symptom, if I only turned the computer off and back on nothing happened (it just stayed black) but when I turned the monitor only off and back on that is when I got the same on the screen with Acer and the no signal box. Also on the software for the computer, there is none, I have searched some, and this came to my mind- if I find the right program for windows vista how can I be sure that the program won't think it is for my computer instead of loading onto my external drive to make a disc for the Dell? Thanks again!

Edited by Sbipitchick, 13 January 2014 - 09:16 AM.

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
Maybe we better check the monitor, by trying a different one. It's possible. Do you have a monitor or can you borrow one? Re- check your connections to the monitor too, I bumped mine the other day and the screen went black, cable was loose in the back of the monitor :)

No. The reason I asked about the disk is you can boot from a Vista disk not install anything, but you can try a repair with a Vista disk.

What is the make and model of the broken computer Acer______?

Thanks
Joe :)

Sbipitchick

Sbipitchick

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I have confused you, the broken computer is a Dell Optiplex 380 with Windows Vista Home premium, an Acer monitor is being used with it. The computer that I am using now and to search for information and downloads for repair is my Acer Aspire one netbook. I did wonder if the Dell could be hooked up to mine some how to test if it would work on my screen. What other I said about downloads and repair disk is I was worried that a download would think that it is supposed to work on my computer instead of the Dell because it was dowmloaded onto mine so it can be burned onto a disk with the external drive. I hope this clears up what I was trying to say. thank you.