Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win XP slow start up crakling skipping audio

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Create a new restore point first.

Go to Start, click Control Panel, click Performance and Maintenance, and then click System

Select Turn off automatic updating; I want to update my computer manually.

Advertisements

mj12687

mj12687

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

okay i updated IE8 and turned off the automatic updates but it made no change in its running condition still showing high interupts using most of the cpu.

mj12687

mj12687

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

okay so i decided to defrag the disk this morning just to see if it would help its been a little while since i have done it. i analyzed the disk with auslogics disk defrag and it says that there are 300+ regisytry errors and 900+ junk files. i downloaded their auslogics boost speed but i would have to purchase the full program to fix everything. is their a free verson of a program that will do the same thing or should i bite the bullet and purchase theirs. ive attached screen shots of both programs scan results. also IE8 seems to be running smoother with the last update you provided which makes work much easier thank you

Attached Thumbnails

• ausl1.jpg
  • ausl2.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

The Auslogic defrag program is very good and I for one recommend it`s use but steer clear of the so called system performance boosting software, read the blog of respected author miekiemoe here and you will see why not only me but no one else at GTG will suggest the use of such software.

Next suggestion is to tidy up the data on your HDD, please follow the directions provided below starting with Autoruns http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902

1: Extract the Autoruns Zip file contents to a folder.

2: Double-click the "Autoruns.exe".

3: Click on the Hide Microsoft and Windows Entries tab

4: Go to File then to Export As or Save in some versions.

5: Save AutoRuns.txt file to known location like your Desktop.

6: Attach to your next reply.

Autoruns Tutorial

2nd: Download and run TFC from http://www.geekstogo...er-by-oldtimer/ the computer should automatically re-boot on completion but if not do it manually.

3rd: Would have been to defrag the HDD but it has already been done  :thumbsup:

To speed up your boot times find any unnecessary programs linked to start up "how to" below;

START -> RUN

type MSCONFIG in the RUN box

then click OK

Click on the start-up TAB

Look at each line that has a check in the box, these are start-up items, with the exception of Windows programs and your AV software uncheck the ones you do not want to run at start-up.

You are welcome btw  :)

mj12687

mj12687

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

okay here is the txt file you asked for. i looked in msconfig but i dont know what is what i didnt see anything obvious to turn off and i dotn want to just go trial and error. should i screen shot you what is selected?

Attached Files

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Yes provide an expanded screenshot of MSCONFIG please.

Create a new restore point.

Autoruns is not too bad but there are a few things that should be disabled/

X "AVG_UI" "" "" "File not found: C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG2013\avgui.exe" Delete this.

Disable the following

All Adobe entries

All Apple/bonjour/ipod/Itunes entries

All Sun/Java entries

All Mozilla entries

There are entries that I am not familiar with, do you know what they are.

+ "ISUSPM" "FLEXnet Connect Software Manager" "Flexera Software, Inc." "c:\documents and settings\all users\application data\flexnet\connect\11\isuspm.exe" "5/21/2010 2:39 PM"

+ "TM_BHO Class" "TabMan Control Browser Helper Object" "Bosch Automotive Service Solutions" "c:\program files\ford motor company\ids\runtime\tmc

+ "REY PSCVersionService" "REY PSCVersion Service" "The Reynolds and Reynolds Company" "c:\rey\bin\pscversionservice.exe" "3/5/2014

mj12687

mj12687

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

okay ive attached the ms screenshots and unchecked what you said in the autoruns. the tree progrtams you didnt know are part of the programs i use for work fords scan tool program and update service and reynolds and reynolds is a automotive repair document program i dont know much about them other than how to use them but i do know they have caused issues with other programs for a billion dollar company fords programing isnt always the best but my comp has worked fine with them so before i started having issues

Attached Thumbnails

• ms1.jpg
  • ms2.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Update acknowledged and nothing untowards on the list  :thumbsup:

Please feel free to uninstall any testing software that we have used.

I note the uTorrent icon on your desktop, are you aware of the risk of malware infection when downloading torrents, this has always been a problem but with support for XP now ended computers running XP are more likely to become infected as they will be targeted by the bad guys, this is such a concern that it is suggested that computers that are running XP should not be connected to the internet.

mj12687

mj12687

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

okay im still having audio issues. i was looking around and noticed that i no longer have the little volume icon in the task bar. so i went to the audio control clicked add to  task bar and was given a error message. i followed some steps on microsofts website and checked the sndvol32.exe by trying to open it in run programs box and it gave me another error message. according microsofts website they say this file is missing. where can i go about getting this or what do you reccomend i do with it.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Do you have an XP installation disk.

Have you applied the emergency update released for IE, it also applies to XP, see here

Advertisements