Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BLUE SCREEN, (Solved)

• Please log in to reply

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Nothing we can do on the computer until the parts arrive.

As we are going to the next step in resolving the issue and the post being quite long, a refresh would not go amiss.

What is the brand/model of the computer?

What discs do you have?   Installation?   Recovery?   MB driver disc? (picture would be useful)

Your Window version and product code?   Should be on a label affixed on the CD, under/back/inside panel of the case. 

Advertisements

Lexy610

Lexy610

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts

I have a Dell Intel Pentium D Processor 830 (3GHz) w/Dual Core Technology. 2GB DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz 500 GB Serial ATA II Hard Drive (7200 RPM)

Dell ... Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 .... Model number Dell XPS 400

Thought I wasn't suppose to post any product key on here ...

These the discs I have::

IMAG0828_1.jpg

Edited by Lexy610, 01 April 2014 - 09:06 AM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Exactly what we nee.

No, not to post your product key, just confirming you had it.

Lexy610

Lexy610

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts

Really those are the exact cd's we needed? I got lucky bc I didn't think these were it.

I think I have it ... somewhere lol. Will look for it.

Edited by Lexy610, 01 April 2014 - 06:09 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

I think we can do a couple of test while waiting for the parts.

Please download UBCD from the link below, burn to a bootable CD, let us know when done.

http://www.majorgeek..._cd_(ubcd).html

Lexy610

Lexy610

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts

OMG My apologies .. I had no idea you posted 6 days ago!! I never got the email notification alert ...  I have been waiting for the two pieces to arrive. I received the PS/2 to USB adaptor already but not the PCI cards of yet.

I logged on to the desktop computer I was using to fix mine and I got an alert saying "windows xp support ends today" .. so I now gotta follow the steps to upgrade it in order to continue to use it  ....

Once that is done I will do as you suggested on your last post.

Thanks you 

Edited by Lexy610, 08 April 2014 - 02:18 PM.

Lexy610

Lexy610

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts

Its not letting me upgrade to a windows 8 bc i only have 512mb of ram and it requires 1GB ...  can I still use it? Going to try to burn that dvd now ..

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

You actually cannot upgrade from XP to Win8 from what I have read. You would have to do a full format and fresh install but I wouold recommend using at least the Win7 upgrade advisor to make sure there will be no issues. If Win7 advisor shows no issues then you can do the steps I mentioned for a fresh install of Win8.

Lexy610

Lexy610

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts

It appeared as tho it was going to let me upgrade but couldn't bc I didn't have enough RAM ... don't know. Can I still use my xp?

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

You can continue to use XP. Just continue to be careful what you click on and what E-mails you open, things you should be doing anyway.

If you are using Microsoft Security Essentials Anti-virus you can continue to do so as definition updates for XP will continue to be released until May of 2015.

Advertisements

Lexy610

Lexy610

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts

iammykyl .. I made the bootable cd as you equated on post #305 ... I am ready to continue ... will wait for your next set instructions.

Ztruker .. Im actually using Avast ..... 

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

You do need to start the process for moving off of XP as soon as you can though. If you can't aford to move, think about going to one of the Linux distributions like Linux Mint or Puppy Linux. They are free and very good. There is a learning curve but the basic stuff like E-mail and web browsing is the same, just different names.

I'm looking to see what I will replace MSE with. So far decided no on Avira because it requires .NET 4 which I don't want to add to XP systems.

Avast forces Chrome on you so not much in favor of that one and I hate the voice stuff it has.

I think I'll take a look at Eset (Nod) next.

Lexy610

Lexy610

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts

I am actually using a xp desktop computer until my computer is fixed and thats why I am here ... But I do have xp on that one too. Im not sure how much it is to upgrade to 8 but Ive heard lots of bad things about it ... and have heard many recommend 7 instead of 8. I am not are what is best for me .. I prefer to stay with windows if possible. I am actually using Puppy Linux on the computer that I am trying to fix and Im not to crazy about it lol ....

As far as AVAST .. I was told on here that AVAST is what I should download so I did and its been great, the voice really doesn't bother me, think it can be shut off.

I am still waiting for iammykyl to give me further instructions on how to continue from post #305

Edited by Lexy610, 09 April 2014 - 08:31 PM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

Windows 8 is fine once you tame it :) Looks and feels just like Windows 7.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

G2G has a new Skin and some notifictions are not being delivered.

I think we will not use the UDCD but keep it in reserve in case the PCI card does not give access to windows, it can not be far away for delivery.

For installing the card,

Unplug the PSU and monitor from the Mains.

Take anti static measures.

Remove the slot blanking plate opposite the end of the PCI slot. (save the screw)

Line up the notch on the card with the bar in the slot.

Firmly push down on the card.

Screw the end of the card into place, (use the saved screw.

Plug in the PS/2 to USB adaptor into the purple port.

Plug the keyboard into the USB adaptor.

Connect up the monitor, switch on, > connect up the PSU, start the computer.

Does the keyboard work?