Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 8 keeps going to auto repair

• Please log in to reply

Frustratedmomagain

Frustratedmomagain

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
I have looked and looked and cant find anything to help. I am trying to get my sons Gateway laptop running again. I have tried suggestions of F8 and that leads me no where. We do not have a disk. This laptop already had the win8 downloaded when he bought it. I tried disabling the automatic restart to no avail. He is not worried about saving anything, just wants his computer running again. I am computer illiterate and I know basics but thats it. Help!!!

Advertisements

Biscuithd

Biscuithd

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,573 posts
Can you describe what functions (if any) your computer does have? Does it boot at all? Is the screen dark, light, any writing on the screen? Blinking lights, etc?

Frustratedmomagain

Frustratedmomagain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
The Gateway emblem comes on, takes a bit for it to get to a blue screen that says pc ran into a problem needs to restart goes straight to automatic repair, runs diagnosing repair, Says automatic repair could not repair PC/ Logfile c;\Windows\System32\Logfiles\Srt\SrtTrail.txt then gives options shut down or advanced options.
I have gon to the advanced options before to try to disable the automatic repair but it wont work.

Frustratedmomagain

Frustratedmomagain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
He did not have a restore point either.

Biscuithd

Biscuithd

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,573 posts
Hopefully someone smarter than me will weight in here, however, it seems like you are going to need the Windows 8 DVD (or perhaps it is already on your hard drive?) in order to repair the installation. Can you reach out to whomever you bought if from for the media or perhaps Gateway?

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

The Gateway emblem comes on, takes a bit for it to get to a blue screen that says pc ran into a problem needs to restart goes straight to automatic repair, runs diagnosing repair, Says automatic repair could not repair PC/ Logfile c;\Windows\System32\Logfiles\Srt\SrtTrail.txt then gives options shut down or advanced options.
I have gon to the advanced options before to try to disable the automatic repair but it wont work.

Hi,

From the Advanced Options screen can you access the Startup Settings like the options on the image bellow?

Posted Image

If it's the case press F9 to disable the Auto restart, this should make possible to see the error code generated when the system try to start, please post the error code.

Edited by SleepyDude, 14 January 2014 - 04:20 PM.

Frustratedmomagain

Frustratedmomagain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Thanks for trying.

Frustratedmomagain

Frustratedmomagain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Hi,

From the Advanced Options screen can you access the Startup Settings like the options on the image bellow?

Posted Image

If it's the case press F9 to disable the Auto restart, this should make possible to see the error code generated when the system try to start, please post the error code.

It says inaccessible boot device

Frustratedmomagain

Frustratedmomagain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Hi,

Posted Image

It didnt restart. It did say Inaccesible Boot Device

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts
Hi,

Can you post the exact model of the laptop? Usually is written on the back.

Advertisements

Frustratedmomagain

Frustratedmomagain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
NE56R31u

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts
Hi,

Faster solution because you don't need to recover nothing from the machine is to Restore...

Recovering from the hard drive during startup

1. Turn on your computer and press <Alt> + <F10> during startup. A
screen appears asking you to choose the keyboard layout.
2. Several options are now presented. Click Troubleshoot.
3. Click either Refresh your PC or Reset your PC.
Note: "Refresh your PC" enables you to restore your computer to the
default factory condition with files intact. "Reset your PC" completely
removes all your files and resets your computer to factory settings.

4. Click Next. The process will take several minutes.

Frustratedmomagain

Frustratedmomagain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I have tride that. It says there was a problem resetting your PC. Says the same for refresh PC

Edited by Frustratedmomagain, 14 January 2014 - 04:42 PM.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

I have tride that. It says there was a problem resetting your PC. Says the same for refresh PC

Try to access the BIOS during boot by pressing F2 can you locate the settings for the Hard Disk drive and tell me the options you see there.

Frustratedmomagain

Frustratedmomagain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Cant get into the BIOS. Tried a couple times and it takes me straight into automatic repair. It just keeps going to here.