Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ad ware, weather alerts, redirections, survey pop ups

• Please log in to reply

kolchak

kolchak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
will do this tomorrow - thanks

Advertisements

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts
Hello Kolchak,

About your problem with the instructions...

Please try to insert the CD on the drive and then power off the computer, wait 1 minute and power on the machine but start pressing the F12 key can you access a boot menu with options like Hard Disk, CD Rom, etc. similar to this?

Posted Image

kolchak

kolchak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Yup, that sounds familiar - thanks.
I'll likely have to unplug the computer to power it off because it wouldn't shut down when the disk was in - is this ok?
Also, to get the computer to restart from "stand by" mode, I had to unplug it. The green light was on but it would not power up from stand by mode by pressing a key or moving the mouse as usual.
thank you!

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

I'll likely have to unplug the computer to power it off because it wouldn't shut down when the disk was in - is this ok?

That is strange unless the disk is a bad burn and windows is trying to access it. Try inserting the disk but don't close the drive and order the system to reboot, the cd drive should auto close when the computer starts.

Also, to get the computer to restart from "stand by" mode, I had to unplug it. The green light was on but it would not power up from stand by mode by pressing a key or moving the mouse as usual.
thank you!

What happens if you press only one time the Power button?

kolchak

kolchak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
SD,
I think the disk drive is bad. Tried playing an audio CD and after closing drive it vibrates loudly for 5 seconds a pop up message appeared saying that windows media player needs to update. After agreeing to update get another pop up saying window media player encountered a problem and needs to close.
Could I try hooking up an external disk drive?

kolchak

kolchak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
I just tried -

"Try inserting the disk but don't close the drive and order the system to reboot, the cd drive should auto close when the computer starts."

the system rebooted without closing the CD drive.....

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

SD,
I think the disk drive is bad. Tried playing an audio CD and after closing drive it vibrates loudly for 5 seconds a pop up message appeared saying that windows media player needs to update. After agreeing to update get another pop up saying window media player encountered a problem and needs to close.

It could be CD drive! Insert the CD with the diagnostic tool and try to open it in windows. Can you see some files inside?
If you have access to another machine try to open the CD on the other machine to see if the disk is read successfully.

Could I try hooking up an external disk drive?

You can but not all the machines will boot from an external CD/DVD drive.
To test connect the external drive and then access the Boot menu using F12 if the BIOS recognize the drive it should be listed there.

kolchak

kolchak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Now the computer shuts down..

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

Depending on the Windows settings the system will shutdown normally or will show a screen to choose if you want to shutdown, restart, etc. like this:
Posted Image

Now the computer shuts down..

Abnormally or by your order?

Advertisements

kolchak

kolchak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
sorry, my last post was quoting & answering the questions in the post from 3/4 (at bottm)

It shut down & restarted normally earlier today. When leaving I did "turn off" from start menu & Tonight after pressing power button the disk drive hummed loudly and power button turned orange. Wouldn't reset after pressing start so I Pulled power cord. After replugging the Power button turned Green & disk drive lite green for a second, it started to boot and it froze or died. Tried again and got same thing. Seemed like it was trying to boot from disk drive so I loaded the CD you had me burn & pressed F12 for boot menu. Got a black screen & then highlighted the Samsung hard drive and it booted up as usual instead of the screen for tools & self diagnose.
I tried to open the burned disk from My Computer but it's empty. Tried another audio CD and it can read the title but windows media player won't play it.

So disk drive is a problem?

thank you for bearing with me.

Posted 04 March 2014 - 01:13 PM
View Postkolchak, on 04 March 2014 - 09:34 AM, said:

That is strange unless the disk is a bad burn and windows is trying to access it. Try inserting the disk but don't close the drive and order the system to reboot, the cd drive should auto close when the computer starts.

thank you!

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts
Hi,

It seems the computer isn't working as it should but let's see if we can get some conclusions...

From what you describe it could be a bad cd/dvd drive. Any chance of testing the CD media using another computer?

kolchak

kolchak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
how would I do that? I have a laptop to use..
everything else seems to be functioning fine now - should I set up anything besides the microsoft security?

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

how would I do that? I have a laptop to use..

Insert the CD on the laptop, open the drive and you should see some files if the disk is readable.

everything else seems to be functioning fine now - should I set up anything besides the microsoft security?

If I'm not mistaken you have Microsoft Security Essentials already installed!

From time to time your log's show errors related to the Hard Disk and that could be an indication that the drive is falling. It would be important to run a disk check with the tool provided by the manufacturer.

kolchak

kolchak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
SD,
OK, sorry I was confused by the question about "testing the CD media on another computer." I will do that but almost certain that CD is blank since I can read files on other CD's but nothing on that CD one.

When the computer is up everything is good - no more ad ware, malware or bugs when surfing the internet.
The issue now is that it won't restart, go into stand by mode or reboot correctly.

When powered off the only way to get it back up is from the boot menu. I've left it on for the past week because it wouldn't go into stand by mode. I powered off from start menu last night & this morning power button was orange instead of the green. I unplugged & tried restarting but got the same thing - immediately after pressing power the green light comes on, the CD drive lights green for a second, it starts to boot and dies.

I have to pull power cord, go to boot menu and got it working by selecting SATA hard drive. While booting up, the CD drive hummed loudly for 10 seconds and once it gets to start menu it operates fine.

Seems like it's always trying to boot from the CD drive now because immediately after powering on the CD drive lights up and dies. Is this because it's still looking for the CD we tried to burn?

Can something be reset to boots up as before we tried testing the hard drive or Is failing to power on / off a symptom of the hard drive failing?
If it could power on / off as before I'd be fine this computer is only used for word processing and surfing the net.

thanks again for your help & patience