Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ad ware, weather alerts, redirections, survey pop ups

• Please log in to reply

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

SD,
OK, sorry I was confused by the question about "testing the CD media on another computer." I will do that but almost certain that CD is blank since I can read files on other CD's but nothing on that CD one.

That is what I need you to check because if the CD was burned correctly and the CD/DVD drive is working properly you should see some files inside.

I'm not sure if I asked this before, did you burn to a CD or DVD media? The ISO was created for a CD and most likely will not work if burned to a DVD.

When the computer is up everything is good - no more ad ware, malware or bugs when surfing the internet.
The issue now is that it won't restart, go into stand by mode or reboot correctly.

When powered off the only way to get it back up is from the boot menu. I've left it on for the past week because it wouldn't go into stand by mode. I powered off from start menu last night & this morning power button was orange instead of the green. I unplugged & tried restarting but got the same thing - immediately after pressing power the green light comes on, the CD drive lights green for a second, it starts to boot and dies.

I have to pull power cord, go to boot menu and got it working by selecting SATA hard drive. While booting up, the CD drive hummed loudly for 10 seconds and once it gets to start menu it operates fine.

Seems like it's always trying to boot from the CD drive now because immediately after powering on the CD drive lights up and dies. Is this because it's still looking for the CD we tried to burn?

The BIOS is probably set to start first from the CD drive and that should not be a problem, normally it will add two or three seconds of delay to the boot and nothing else. If the CD drive is Bad sometimes strange things can happen, one way to test is to open the computer case and completely disconnect all cables from the CD drive.
If you decide to do this make sure you disconnect the PC from the power outlet first.

Can something be reset to boots up as before we tried testing the hard drive or Is failing to power on / off a symptom of the hard drive failing?

A more conclusive test is to disconnect the drive. Yes those problems could be a symptom of a drive failing or a bad Power Supply.
More tests are needed to find out.

thanks again for your help & patience

Your are welcome.

Advertisements

kolchak

kolchak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
OK, just realized the CD I was using for the Imgburn had music on it! (sorry).
I loaded a blank CD and tried again. After opening the program I got two pop up windows - one was a "burn log" ((below)

Burn log -
I 09:18:51 ImgBurn Version 2.5.1.0 started!
I 09:18:51 Microsoft Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 3)
I 09:18:51 Total Physical Memory: 3,659,844 KB - Available: 2,154,268 KB
I 09:18:51 Initialising SPTI...
I 09:18:51 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...
I 09:18:51 -> Drive 1 - Info: HL-DT-ST DVD-ROM GDR8084N 1.02 (D:) (ATA)
I 09:18:51 Found 1 DVD-ROM!

The main pop where the write speed is selected says "no writers detected" under the drop down for destination, so I can't figue out how to start the burn.
Should I even try to restart the computer as described in post #45?

Also, can the Bios be reset so the computer will go into stand by mode and restart as it did before?

thank you

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

OK, just realized the CD I was using for the Imgburn had music on it! (sorry).
I loaded a blank CD and tried again. After opening the program I got two pop up windows - one was a "burn log" ((below)

Burn log -
I 09:18:51 ImgBurn Version 2.5.1.0 started!
I 09:18:51 Microsoft Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 3)
I 09:18:51 Total Physical Memory: 3,659,844 KB - Available: 2,154,268 KB
I 09:18:51 Initialising SPTI...
I 09:18:51 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...
I 09:18:51 -> Drive 1 - Info: HL-DT-ST DVD-ROM GDR8084N 1.02 (D:) (ATA)
I 09:18:51 Found 1 DVD-ROM!

The main pop where the write speed is selected says "no writers detected" under the drop down for destination, so I can't figue out how to start the burn.
Should I even try to restart the computer as described in post #45?

The Imgburn log show that the CD-ROM drive you have on the machine can't burn CD's it's only a reader.
To execute the steps from post #45 you need to have the ISO burned to a CD.

Also, can the Bios be reset so the computer will go into stand by mode and restart as it did before?

I don't know of any BIOS settings that will make the system behave like that.
It seems more likely to be a hardware problem.

kolchak

kolchak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Sleepy Dude,

Do you have any suggestion I can try to reset it so it isn't trying to access the CD drive when it boots up? I did something during the process changed how it restarts - maybe in the run command of the start menu?
It sure seems like all the original problems are fixed perfectly - thank you!

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

Sleepy Dude,

Do you have any suggestion I can try to reset it so it isn't trying to access the CD drive when it boots up? I did something during the process changed how it restarts - maybe in the run command of the start menu?
It sure seems like all the original problems are fixed perfectly - thank you!

Hi,

Maybe you have changed the boot order according to my instructions?

[*] Restart the computer with the CD on the drive and make sure the BIOS is set to boot from CD.

If you did this repeat the steps but this time select the Hard Disk as first boot device.

kolchak

kolchak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
OK - does this mean the computer will always boot from hard disk?

thanks

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

OK - does this mean the computer will always boot from hard disk?

Yes. After the change to boot from another device you need to change the boot order on the BIOS or use the F12 key to access the BIOS Boot menu where you can select a different device to boot from.

kolchak

kolchak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
OK -
could I try using a different malware program since I can't get Malwarebytes to run?

I've uninstalled and re installed it several times but after finishing set up I get an error message from Malwarebytes anti-Malware saying -

"run time error 2147417848(80010108)automation error object invoked has discontinued from it's client"

thanks again

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts
Hi,

I suggest you try to remove Malwarebytes completely by following the instructions in this page.

Use the normal Uninstall from Control Panel and then the tool mbam-clean.exe available on that page.

Based in your last logs It seems your machine is clean and most likely the problem is related to some disk corruption.

kolchak

kolchak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

removing the program didn't seem to be a problem - just getting it to run.Do you think it won't run because it wasn't completely gone?

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

removing the program didn't seem to be a problem - just getting it to run.Do you think it won't run because it wasn't completely gone?

You need to run the mbam-clean tool to make sure everything is gone, reboot and then download a fresh copy of Malwarebytes there is a new version available.