Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Avast! GrimeFighter

• Please log in to reply

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• PipPipPip
  • 567 posts
Just curious if anyone else using avast! Free Antivirus has been getting popup windows advertising avast! GrimeFighter? It popped up for the first time this evening and indicated there were 4 instances of bloatware that "slowed the launch of my PC" and 1 registry tweak that could "speed up my PC".
I have always considered programs that make changes to the registry in order to improve performance a Pandora's Box. In other words, DON'T OPEN IT, DON'T USE IT! I must admit however, that I was tempted to click the "Optimize My PC" button for about .05 of a nanosecond (because this is avast! and they wouldn't steer me wrong, right?), but I did not.
So even though this is avast!, is it best to treat GrimeFighter like any other PC registry performance program and avoid it at all costs? Here's a screen capture of it and a link to avast! that explains what GrimeFighter does.

Posted Image

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
It was recently called Jumpshot prior to purchase by Avast http://www.jumpshot.com/

Gillric

Gillric

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I've been looking around to see if it's worth it to get it and it seems most people are getting pretty close to the same message including me. I hate programs to try to suck you in by telling you you have these problems and they will clean it right up for you. It looks like I won't be getting it. From what I've read on other forums it's more like a nanny service once it starts you don't get any notifications on what it's doing which I really don't care for personally.

Just my .02 cents

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

I've been looking around to see if it's worth it to get it and it seems most people are getting pretty close to the same message including me. I hate programs to try to suck you in by telling you you have these problems and they will clean it right up for you. It looks like I won't be getting it. From what I've read on other forums it's more like a nanny service once it starts you don't get any notifications on what it's doing which I really don't care for personally.

Just my .02 cents

I have read over and over again on GTG that you do not use programs that mess with the registry on your PC. That's what annoys me the most about this Avast's GrimeFighter.

Loweja

Loweja

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi I am a new member here and I also have received this same message.
My question is this, if this popup on the Avast page and our messages seem similar in nature then do we actually have a virus or slow pc THAT I do have and have had for mths on end. Does this also mean we do need to download some type of cleaner etc and if so what. I to have been told that NEVER to touch the registry or use any program to clean it?..Just wandering and lost in this tech world of STUFF lol.
Kind Regards
oweja - Laymans terms please. I have read your info and think I can follow simple instructions lol.