Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is my laptop broke?

• Please log in to reply

saraveza408

saraveza408

• PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
A angry man made a fist & brought it down hard on top of my closed HP Pavilion DV6000 purposely intending to break it. When I turn it on the screen shows no pic but it does turn on. All the lights on it blink as it usually did yet after a few minutes it restarts, then after a few it turns off again,restarts & same thing over & over. Has the angry man achieved his goal & my laptops broke or can it be saved? Please & thank you.
PS I'm prepared to take it apart if needed.

Advertisements

saraveza408

saraveza408

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
So I tried hooking a external monitor up to it. I've never done this before so I don't know if I even did it right. Nothing happened however.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,764 posts
Hello saraveza408

Do you at any time see anything flash on the screen.
Do you hear the Windows welcome sound before the computer shuts down (unless it is muted).

Not all notebooks will automatically toggle to an external display so you may need to press the Fn and one of the F1 to F12 keys down both at the same time, Fn + F4 and Fn + F5 are often the two keys used.

I will hold off suggesting anything further until we have read your update.

saraveza408

saraveza408

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Do you at any time see anything flash on the screen.
Do you hear the Windows welcome sound before the computer shuts down

No, nothings on the screen.& i tried the fn +f4 & f5 thing.
No i dont hear the windows noise either

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,764 posts
Try removing and then reseating the Ram securely, a guide to help with this here

saraveza408

saraveza408

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
Ok so i tried connecting an different external monitor & i pushed a bunch of different keys trying to get somekind of display on the monitor. Now the laptop is no longer continueously rebooting. It stays on. All the lights & sounds are the same as when it worked. I just cant get any display on the laptop screen nor a external monitor.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,764 posts

Try removing and then reseating the Ram securely, a guide to help with this here

Did you try the above.

Does the notebook normally emit a single beep when it boots up successfully.

jjam04

jjam04

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I would also check the model number of your laptop against this list, if you can't see any video and if your model number is on the list, then i say that your out of luck and have a nice paper weight

Edited by jjam04, 29 January 2014 - 04:52 AM.

saraveza408

saraveza408

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

I would also check the model number of your laptop against this list, if you can't see any video and if your model number is on the list, then i say that your out of luck and have a nice paper weight

Oh no! My computer is on that list i think. Its a hp pavillion dv6000.
So am i really totally out of luck?

saraveza408

saraveza408

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
So when i look at the laptops screen at an angle i can clearly see its broke. I cant help but think i can hook it up to a external monitor & it will work. Maybe im not connecting the other monitor right or maybe the monitor is not compatible with my laptop?

Advertisements

saraveza408

saraveza408

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
Oh & it doent make a beep sound but it never did

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,764 posts

Have you tried reseating the Ram.

How are you connecting the notebook to the external display as in are you using the notebooks VGA port.

What type of external display are you connecting to including the type of display port it has, VGA port, DVI port or HDMI port.

Tip

If you have something to add while waiting for a reply use the edit tab – bottom right of the dialogue input box and this will ensure that no information that you provide is overlooked (this can happen if your topic has more than one page) thank you for understanding.

saraveza408

saraveza408

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
Yes i reseated the ram. And im trying to connect the monitor via VGA

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,764 posts
It does not sound too promising for the notebooks MB and possibly a failed video chip.

What type of external display are you connecting to including the type of display port it has, VGA port, DVI port or HDMI port.

saraveza408

saraveza408

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
Oh well thats disappointing.Thanks 4 your help guys!