Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Machine upgrade recommended combination: i7-4771+z87-pro or not?!?

• Please log in to reply

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.
BIOS. As each is different, best to have a stable running system, then look at the BIOS, RAM settings. as the Intel CPU natively supports 1600MHz, it should be set, if not, enable XMP. There should be no other special configurations or setting to do, unless specified in a manual. e.g. RAID drivers.

This is how I build, and a few basic tips. If you have any problems, please stop and post.
Safety, Turn of the PSU and unplug, take Anti Static measures, even when only handling parts, by briefly touching a bare unpainted part of the case.
Install the I/O shield from the MB box, > PSU. > OD.
Check that the standoff on the MB mounting plate match exactly the pattern and number of screw holes in the board, no extra ones.
Lay the MB on a piece of cardboard a little larger than the board, > instal the CPU, check the back of the board to ensure the locking tabs are fully engaged.
Remove any protective films from the heatsink base and confirm that TIM is present, > install the cooler, > connect the CPU fan plug to the CPU fan header on the MB.
Install the RAM. Refer MB for correct slots.
Trial the MB in the case checking the standoffs are correct. > loosen the screw/s of the expansion slot/s where the GPU will be installed. > Note the drive bay/s opposite the end of where the GPU will be installed.
Remove the MB. > remove the expansion slot cover/s, > install the MB.
Install the SATA Drives and where possible leave the noted bay/s empty.
Connect the two power cable to the MB,
Install the GPU, > connect the PCI-E cable/s.
Connect the OD.
Important. If you have installed more than one SATA drive?? connect only the drive you are using for the operating system. You can connect and configure the others after installing the OS.
Connect a display, case fans, keyboard/mouse and when used, a system beeper, ensure the + positive matches the + symbol on the front header panel socket.
Check the CPU fan plug is still securely seated.
Turn on the display and PSU, if present, a LED should light on the MB. If present, press the power on button on the MB. If not,
With a small bladed screwdriver, briefly short out the two power on pins on the front panel socket.

All fans should spin up, POST will start, LEDS on the keyboard should flash, monitor should display info and end with "No OS detected" or such. and hopefully just one beep was heard. > switch of the PSU and display.
Connect all the rest of the wiring except to additions SATA drives.

Install the **OS, read instructions if using RAID) > use the MB disc ( I do not install the trial virus/firewall/security protection or free software) > update OS and drivers, > install virus software, I use Avast Free.
If additional SATA drives are installed, turn off, connect cables, switch on and configure.
Create recovery media.

Good luck, and don't rush.

Advertisements

Faina

Faina

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
Iammykyl,

I'm reading the MB user manual. Quick question: do I need to put any paste between the CPU and the fan? Looks like no but just for be sure...

I will put all together this weekend :-)

thanks

regards

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.
No, there is a pad of TIM already present, just make sure to remove any protective film.

Faina

Faina

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
Iammykyl,

I've finished to read all the mb instructions and I have another question. My RAM support the XMP profile. The manual (here) at page 92 says (can't copy here because the PDF is protected....)

Ai Overclock Tuner:
- Auto (Default): Load optimal settings
- Manual: Allows you to automatically optimize the CPU ratio and BLCK frequency
- X.M.P.: Allows your system to automatically optimize the CPU ratio, BLCK frequency, and memory parameters.

If you select XMP, you will have 2 configuration options: Profile #1 and Profile#2. There aren't any more details on what the 2 profiles do

Can you please recommend what is the best setting here?

Thanks!!!

regards

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.
Looked through the manual and it really is not all that clear. The manual refers to the IA suite software manual on the CD I hope it has a little more info than the only one I can find on the site, > https://docs.google....7_AI_Suite3.pdf let us know if it makes things clearer.
I can't give you a direct answer. Best would be to get the system up, running, fully updated and patched, then, to see if your RAM is running at the correct speed, check in bios under advanced mode, DRAM timing. if not correct, we can work out if you can directly engage XMP or need to enable OC then change RAM timing.

Faina

Faina

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
Iammykyl,

good news: I finish to mount everything. Bad news: the system won't start....

I got "A0" on the mb display, all the fans spinning.

My monitor keep telling me "no signal" and won't move from standby mode.It's connected to the DVI port.

Do you have any idea what I did wrong?

Thanks

Regards

Edited by Faina, 01 February 2014 - 12:01 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.

good news: I finish to mount everything.

Is that outside the case or installed inside the case?

My monitor keep telling me "no signal" and won't move from standby mode.It's connected to the DVI port.

Are you connected to the
integrated Graphics or a discrete GPU installed in a PCI-E slot.
Did you install a Beeper? any beeps?
Have you connected any OD or SATA drives?

Faina

Faina

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
Iammykyl,

is everything inside the case now.

I don't connect any graphic card because it's integrated in the mb. Do I need to do anything?

Yes I install the beeper and it does one beep at the start and that's all.

I'm using my old hard drive but this should not be a problem right?

thanks!

regards

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.

is everything inside the case now.

Posted Image That's what I asked you, are the parts still on the cardboard, or installed inside the case?

I don't connect any graphic card because it's integrated in the mb. Do I need to do anything?

That should be OK, just check that the plugs are securely seated.

I'm using my old hard drive but this should not be a problem right?

Are you using the intel SSD 160Gb - boot and programs?

P#38 MB user manual, SATA connections. Please connect the SATA Signal cable of the drive to be used for the OS, to SATA #1. Connect the Optical Drive Signal cable to SATA #6. Check that the SATA power cables are correctly seated.

Pa$42 MB user manual, Onboard LEDs. are any LEDs lit.?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.
Don't know if you have reached the BIOS yet but possible AO error can be, a HDD that has an OS installed from a different build. The hardware drivers will not match the new build, the BIOS sees the HDD but fails to initialize it and move on to the graphics.
Let us know if this works,
Disconnect the OS SATA drive, > power on and press the Del key to enter the BIOS.

Advertisements

Faina

Faina

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
Iammykyl,

sorry for the delay in my answer but I was with my head inside the case trying to find a solution :)

The issue was generated by the DVI port that is not working on the MB: I connected the video to the VGA and I can access to BIOS.
Even after installing all the drivers, the DVI port still doesn't work: do you have any idea why?

No problem with the old disks connected to the new mb: windows start normally and I just installed the new drivers.

To make the RAM works, the XMP need to be enabled: I think that the "profile #..." is something written inside the RAM (I had only one available). As far as I turned on XMP, the mb loaded RAM custom setting (speed, voltage, etc.). Now is properly recognized.

One thing that I discovered that could be useful to newbie like me: the genius at Intel roll up the fan wire around its body, under some plastic clamps. Looks like a neat solution, but the fan will NOT spin because the wire is too short between 2 clamps and it's in interference with the fan....
I discover after 20 minutes sweating against a "general HW failure"...

The PC looks awesome now: if we can solve this DVI issue just become perfect :):)

thanks

regards

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Not a problem, pleased you got it sorted. I could have given more instructions but did not want to possible make things confusing.
Please read about the DirectKey Button, MB manual P#27.

To see if the DVI port on the MB is faulty, you may have this adaptor already, or very cheap to buy. Example of adaptor to use from the MB DVI to the monitor VGA
> http://www.techexpre...products_id=495
If it does work, the DVI port on the monitor is faulty, or the DVI cable is faulty.

No problem with the old disks connected to the new mb: windows start normally and I just installed the new drivers.

I am surprised that using a HDD that had a OS installed, tied to different hardware, went well, most times there are stability problems. If you do start to get software issues, I would do a clean install of windows.

Faina

Faina

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
Iammykyl,

Please read about the DirectKey Button, MB manual P#27.

I read and I think I understand the directkey button.

If it does work, the DVI port on the monitor is faulty, or the DVI cable is faulty.

This is a minor issue, no problem at all.

I am surprised that using a HDD that had a OS installed, tied to different hardware, went well, most times there are stability problems. If you do start to get software issues, I would do a clean install of windows.

I uninstall all the previous drivers and install the newer. Looks fine now but I'll follow your recommendation in case I will see any problem.

Thanks very much for the time that you dedicate to my support, I really appreciate your patience: for my needs, we did an excellent machine :thumbsup:

regards

P.s.: I don't know how do that, but we can close this post :)

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Your welcome Faina, it has been a pleasure to help you Posted Image
We don't actually close posts, so you can come back here at any time if you need more help, and Your topic has already had over 400 people viewing it, which will help many more to gain confidence in building their own rigs.

Just a bit more on the DVI. Though a minor inconvenience, if it is a faulty port on the MB, I would want to do a RMA
When using the DVI port, if you can enter the BIOS but, when windows loads, the display gives the "no signal" I would say the port is OK but there is a drivers issue
Look in device manager for yellow or red flags.
Try connecting to a different display.

Good luck, Posted ImagePosted Image

Faina

Faina

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
Iammykyl,

I think is the mb, because I don't have the signal even from POST... tomorrow I will take a cable from the office to double check. I will try later tonight to see if the HDMI port works.

If I have to return the mb and mount a new one, do I need to put something between the CPU cooler and the CPU, since what was there from the factory has already been used?

thanks

regards