Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No boot device available

• Please log in to reply

seryanna3113

seryanna3113

• Pip
  • 2 posts
this is a new build. with a Dell motherboard and bits and pieces from other computers that all worked prior to being put in this new case and put it all together. I was getting 3 error messages after turning on computer the first one was no diskette found, which I solved in bios. The second one is about my fan which I will fix by installing a new fan. However my main problem is the no boot device available and when you go into bios it doesn't recognize the hard drive at all. I have made sure all cables are in correctly and even tried new cables. Right now I have it down to just the usual things on the motherboard and the one hard drive. Nothing else. I am really hoping that I don't have to reinstall the OS because my soon to be Ex husband left with all of that stuff. Thanks

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
:welcome: seryanna3113

this is a new build. with a Dell motherboard and bits and pieces from other computers that all worked prior to being put in this new case and put it all together.

Not wishing to appear pedantic here but what you have is a new configuration, this in itself has potential problems, for example if the HDD that you are using was not previously used with the Dell MB that you have and it was used let us say with a HP computer then not only will the MB drivers be missing but you will be trying to use an OS that has previously been registered with Microsoft with a different MB, this will result in you being unable to update your OS and leave you vulnerable to malware attack when you go online.

To best be able to help you we will need to know the details of the hardware that you have assembled, this includes the brand and model name or number of the motherboard, hard drive, Ram and any add on cards.

Which fan is it that you are having issues with, if it is the CPU fan you should put it right before doing anything else so as to avoid frying the CPU.

seryanna3113

seryanna3113

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
the motherboard and hard drive have previously worked together in a different tower. as for all the specs that will have to wait until I can get home I'll post them later

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Good that the MB and HDD have previously been paired together, if the HDD is the SATA type is it connected to the same port on the MB as it was previously, this to make sure that it is not connected to a SATA port #3 which a HDD are not able to boot from.