Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hp pavilion g7 black screen

• Please log in to reply

curtis0922

curtis0922

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
And kingdom I really appreciate all the help and advice you have given me today!!!

Advertisements

KingdomSeeker

KingdomSeeker

• PipPip
  • 80 posts
You're right. Let me rethink this.

Edited by KingdomSeeker, 19 January 2014 - 05:17 PM.

curtis0922

curtis0922

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I pulled the bezel off of the monitor and to be honest it looks like a fairly new LCD screen all wires are connected and seated properly I have tried disconnecting the rtc battery wire and holding the power button for 30 seconds to try and reset it I'm just dumb founded at this point something keeps telling me it's bad ram so I'm going to pull the ram out of my computer compare and give it a try if they are in deed the same

KingdomSeeker

KingdomSeeker

• PipPip
  • 80 posts
Do you get any beeps when you try to start it? The RAM stick you mentioned is DDR3. Did it come out of another laptop or a desktop?

curtis0922

curtis0922

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
The ram stick in the computer doesn't say what DDR it is on it, there are zero beeps when turning the computer on, and the ram I used is out of a functioning desktop

Edited by curtis0922, 19 January 2014 - 06:03 PM.

curtis0922

curtis0922

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
This is the ram that is the original for the computer and I don't think the pic posted lol

Edited by curtis0922, 19 January 2014 - 06:07 PM.

KingdomSeeker

KingdomSeeker

• PipPip
  • 80 posts
Desktop RAM isn't compatible with laptops. I don't think RAM would effect the monitor. I have asked for help from more experience hardware techs. Hopefully they can help. It's beginning to look more like a graphics card issue.

curtis0922

curtis0922

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Okay I don't know if it helps but the desktop is a acer all in one running the same style ddr3 ram, the all in one that I have came with 2 gigs of ram and I upgraded it to 4 with a 2 gig out of a laptop. So I assumed that it would be fine but obviously could be wrong also I tried a stick of 4 gig that was no good and the acer turned on but no picture so that's why I jump to it being a ram issue. And once again I appreciate all and every pointer/advice anyone can give me!!!!

Edited by curtis0922, 19 January 2014 - 08:12 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hello curtis0922 and KingdomSeeker respectively,

Having read through the topic I feel that first and foremost hooking the notebook up to a suitable external computer screen via the notebooks VGA port as opposed to the HDMI port should be tried first, this because there could be incompatibility issues between the TVs HDMI port and that of the notebook, there may also be settings on the TV and/or the notebook that need a working screen in order for HDMI settings to be configured first.

If you still have a black screen when connected to an external display via the notebooks VGA port then it suggests a bad MB (which includes the MBs integrated video chip) or a bad CPU.

A blog regarding the difference between desktop and notebook Ram

curtis0922

curtis0922

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Okay so if the VGA connection still does not work then with that model laptop the video/graphics card is no good which In turn means the mother board is useless correct?

Advertisements

KingdomSeeker

KingdomSeeker

• PipPip
  • 80 posts
The motherboard does appear to be shot. I wish there was a happy ending but maybe there is. You didn't pay for the computer or the help so you do win.