Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No signal on HDMI, Dupicating desktop from DVI

• Please log in to reply

Roëll

Roëll

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Hiya!

I'm currently writing this in normal mode on the pc that is having the following problem:
Windows loads up, i hear the distinct sound of it being at the login screen (password protected account).
Screen tells me "no signal".

As to what happend and what i've done until now, the story below should help out a bit with that.

Yesterday I was online and played some games before I left the house. As per usual I has shut off all programs and then did the routine Start > Shut down..
The pc turned off properly, no hickups nothing.

When I came back home I started up the PC then logged onto a game and when I recieved a message about something I was doing ingame from a friend, a repeated graphics driver crash happend.
As per usual I thought that it was just another driver problem that would be fixed by rebooting the graphics driver, then about 5 seconds later it happend in rapid succession and poof... there went my baby into the hole of darkness...

I've had this issue before so I figured it would be oke to redo the entire process of removing drivers from safe mode and apply older / newer drivers cleanly.
So I booted up into safe mode, and started getting to work and removed the nvidia drivers and utilities and so on manually in the "program and features" part of the config screen.
After this I booted back into the normal mode without a problem and applied 332.21 Nvidia drivers for 500-series cards. Upon which it went and did its job succesfully and I restarted the machine.
Needles to say the problem recurred and i was staring at a black screen again.
Restarted into safe mode and made a backup of everything and exited.

Tossed in my Bootable windows 7 x64 USB-drive, fully formatted my HD and reinstalled windows.

Somehow, I don't know why, everything worked properly after the reinstall... until windows update decided to toss on Nvidia drivers....

Now I'm pretty [bleep] sure that something is going horribly wrong with Nvidia drivers for me...
I went back into safe mode and kicked off the drivers, manually downloaded the newest drivers again and installed em. Noticed my screen got switched to a "extended" mode instead of it being the main screen (implying it had found another screen when I only have one). About 2 minutes in the screen went and did what it did before. As such I removed the entirety of the Nvidia software package and started with the disk I had and from there upgraded the software and so on.
Now the problem persisted again... Leading me to believe that the graphics card was faulty.

Today I went out and bought an identical graphics card with the same specs.
When I got home I opened up the machine, removed the old card and inserted the new card.
Everything worked except for the HDMI port (again)

So I hooked up my DVI cable to my screen and it worked aside from it being slightly off with the centering of the screen.
After this I hooked up my HDMI cable and checked if another screen was detected and it was, the same screen...

Anyways, I'm now stuck with a DVI and an HDMI cable to 1 screen where the desktop is duplicated to both. So I'm stuck in this mode for a bit since I've got no clue as to what to do and whats causing it.
I know the HDMI cable isn't the problem because it works for my brothers PC.

As per usual I've followed the default process of elimination:
[x] Test cable on different PC with same screen
[x] Revert windows to previously known working config.
[x] Get rid of graphics drivers all together
[x] Re-install all graphics related drivers
[x] Re-install windows 7 x64
[x] Buy new graphics card with same specs. fresh from the store

This is my setup:

Windows 7 64 bit
Nvidia GTX 560 (Mini HDMI and 2x DVI ports)
Ram : 4gb (still need 2 upgrade it, poor student is poor)
Motherboard : MSI Military class 2
Core i7 processor

Last time I had this problem, I removed and re-inserted the graphics card and it somehow worked again. This time I've got no clue as to what to do.
Programs installed currently are skype, firefox and newest Nvidia drivers & utilities, winamp and comodo premium (fullproof defense basicly).

Hope any1 can help me out ^.^;

Edited by Roëll, 19 January 2014 - 02:09 PM.

Advertisements

johnny_r

johnny_r

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I had a very similar issue on Windows 7 with my 560Ti from EVGA (superclocked edition). I am using a BenQ XL2411T monitor with what I never had problem. I recently upgraded my CPU and motherboard and suddenly after the re-install of windows I would just get "no signal" from the DVI connection after the windows logo on the boot screen.

After trying about a gazillion different things I narrowed it down to the graphics driver causing the issue. I just used a driver a few versions back and suddenly I could not reproduce the problem anymore.

I found some other people on other forums having the same issue as well and being able to fix it by reverting to an older driver. There is also the warning of Windows Update installing this new driver automatically if you update before installing the older driver so this issue could come up even without you installing any nvidia driver in the first place.

I just picked up a new graphics card today (MSI Twin Frozr GTX 770 2GB) which I will install later today and will give the newest WHQL a shot.

P.S.: Have not tried the newest beta driver on the nvidia homepage yet.