Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CAN'T DOWNLOAD WIN 8.1

• Please log in to reply

barneyhelper

barneyhelper

• PipPip
  • 87 posts
Have new Dell Inspiron 15 laptop with Win 8.0 installed and having trouble downloading Win 8.1 update. I have downloaded all windows updates but when I go to the "Store" from start screen and click on the 8.1 update tile, I get a message that "you must be logged on as an administrator to download update". The account I'm using is an administrator account. I even added another user account with administrator privledges and when I switch to it I still get the same message when trying to download the Win 8.1 update. I even tried turning on local administrator through command prompt and then I wasn't allowed to enter the "Store". Can anyone tell me what's going on?

Advertisements

VzAcnY

VzAcnY

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Open cmd as administrator and type the below command and enter.

net user administrator /active:yes

Then try again.

barneyhelper

barneyhelper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
I've already tried that and Win 8 won't allow you to open the "Store" after doing same.

VzAcnY

VzAcnY

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Ok do one thing
Open run type
lusrmgr.msc

click on users
Double click on Administrator
uncheck the " Account is Disabled"

Reboot your system and try it.

If doesn't work then open local group policy
Open run and type
secpol.msc
Select Local Policies > Security Options
On right side Double click on Administrator Account Status and enabled it.

reboot and try it out
:D

barneyhelper

barneyhelper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
These commands are not available in Win 8.0

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
Please go to this link and follow the multistep directions to download and install 8.1

VzAcnY

VzAcnY

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

These commands are not available in Win 8.0

This is strange I am also using windows 8 and these commands works.

Its windows 8, pro or enterprise ?

barneyhelper

barneyhelper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
This laptop is only a month old (Dell Iinspiron 15) and came with Win 8.0 installed (not Pro or Enterprise). There is no Product Key code sticker on it for Win 8.0 as I believe it is embedded in the newer BIOS version coming on new laptops with Win 8.0.

To follow "CompCav's" instructions in previous post, I think I have to have the Product Key for the Win 8 installed software on this laptop and I don't have a clue on how to extract it.

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
1. Download and install the free Belarc Advisor program.

2. Run the program. When it displays the results in your default web browser, scroll down until you see your Windows 8 product key like below.

Posted Image

barneyhelper

barneyhelper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
Hi CompCav,

The Belarc Advisor program worked just fine to identify my product key, BUT this OEM product key will not work for the retail version of win 8 on the CNET web link you advised previously. Any other suggestions?

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
Since it is a Dell we can try this Dell process:

1) Uninstall KB2871389 and reboot.

2) Download the KB2871389 update from Microsoft --> Here
3) Install the KB2871389 update manually and reboot.

4) You should now (hopefully) see the 8.1 upgrade in the Windows Store and be able to download it.

barneyhelper

barneyhelper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
Hi CompCav,

I contacted Dell Support chat line and they did a remote access to my computer and did a reset of my "Store" tile. After that they were able to start the download of win 8.1 which is still downloading at this time. Hopefully will complete within the next two hours and I'll have win 8.1.

Will let you know the results.

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
:thumbsup:

barneyhelper

barneyhelper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
Hi CompCav,

Now running Win 8.1 but lost my address book for OUTLOOK. Outlook was installed from Microsoft 2000 SR-1 disk and now when I open Outlook it can't find the WAB DLL file for address book. Get an error message when I try to run import/export in Outlook. Any ideas?

Edited by barneyhelper, 23 January 2014 - 06:58 AM.