Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Compaq 7120 Desktop Quick Restore

• Please log in to reply

flobiwan

flobiwan

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have a Compaq Presario 7120. It is rather aged now, but it was in good operating condition, until I caught a bad virus. I am at a moderate level of understanding, not a novice not an expert. It runs Windows ME.

I have already done a Quick Restore about two months ago, when I acquired the computer from my husband, who upgraded. So, I know my disks are good, at least they were then.

When I realized I had the virus, I tried to Quick Restore, it didn't work. I thought the virus was messing with it, so I "mopped up" the virus with my antivirus software and doing some manual deleting (and emptying trash can too). I had about 30 programs running in the background, got it down to a few necessary ones and when I had windows up and running, without a plague of blue screens, I decided to try my Quick Restore disks again. Same problem occurred.

The problem is this: The Quick Restore screen comes up, it runs a bit, you see numbers and symbols rapidly changing at the bottom of the screen, as though it is scanning through something, and then the screen goes blank, it restarts itself, and it does the same thing, up to the restart. The second time, the screen goes blank and nothing happens. I hear a quiet "whir" of something going on inside, but nothing happens. My husband suggested that I leave it alone and see if it is just taking a while. I did that, left it for about a half hour or so, came back and there was no change.

If you need to see any of my computer information, please give me instructions as to how to go about retrieving it.

My two questions are:

1) Is there anyone out there who can help with this Quick Restore thing?
2) Can I bypass the Quick Restore, go to the DOS prompt and give the Format command and still be able to load Windows Me and my other programs and have it work o.k.? In other words, did Compaq set it up so that we could only use Quick Restore and if that doesn't work then we are screwed??

Thanks so much in advance.

Flo

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. I suspect you took a giant step backwards when you tried doing system restore and it made your situation worse. There is help available here. First, turn off system restore. I found this on M$ knowledge base:
http://support.micro...kb;en-us;264887
Then you will need to do some serious malware/trojan/virus cleanup. Work your way through the malware removal guide at the top of this forum where it says" Do you suspect a malware (Spyware, Virus, Trojan) infection? Please start here. " This enables folks to solve most problems on their own. If you still have trouble after that, post a hijack this log in the malware forum at
http://www.geekstogo...o_Here-f37.html
Our trained experts are over there and will assist you with whay could not be resolved on your own.

Once you get it all cleaned up, you can turn system restore back on and create a new restore point, which will be without virus infection.

flobiwan

flobiwan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks so much for the reply. I finally did the correct sequence of search words on Google to find out whether I can some how get the Quick Restore disks to work or if I can by pass using the Quick Restore and go right to the C: prompt and Format through DOS. I found a site that suggested using the numlock buttons and the caps lock buttons at specific times in the start up of the Quick Restore. Why? Unfortunately, I don't know, there wasn't a clear explanation. But whatever the reason - it worked. I am now working on a sqeaky clean computer again.

Thanks so much for your reply.

Flo