Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

laptop screen (sometimes) white

• Please log in to reply

joshua1970

joshua1970

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi there!

I have an Acer Extensa 5230 laptop which sometimes gets a white screen. Let me explain what it does, and what I already tried...
Sometimes I start it up and the screen goes white immediately even before the post screen.
Sometimes I start it up and I get the post screen and windows welcome and desktop, and it works fine.
Sometimes it goes white after being on for a while.
I've tried... when the screen is white, connected it to an external monitor, and on there I could see my desktop. And when I switched back to the laptop screen, my desktop appeared there.
I've tried... when the screen is white, closing it and reopening it, but it stayed white.
I've tried... when the screen is white, shutting down and restarting, but it stayed white.
I've tried... when the screen is white, opening the screen all the way open and all they way closed, but it stayed white.
I've tried... when the screen is working, to reproduce the white screen problem, by moving the screen around, back and forth, but it stayed working.
I don't see any other strange things about the screen itself. I'm thinking more along the lines of the LCD inverter perhaps.
Since it works fine on an external monitor, that would rule out the graphics chip.
Since the screen does work sometimes, I'm thinking it's not a faulty screen.
Any advice, tips, ideas, or suggestions please? It would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Edited by joshua1970, 21 January 2014 - 08:46 AM.

Advertisements

jjam04

jjam04

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
from the sounds of it the lcd inverter is ok, but seems to be an issue with the cable connection from the motherboard to the screen. all the inverter does is control screen brightness, i have notice that when i don't have the display cable in all the way it does the samething.

joshua1970

joshua1970

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

from the sounds of it the lcd inverter is ok, but seems to be an issue with the cable connection from the motherboard to the screen. all the inverter does is control screen brightness, i have notice that when i don't have the display cable in all the way it does the samething.

ok thanks for the info... i'll take a look at that cable and connector then.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

The video data cable is a possibility but just so that you are aware the inverter actually controls the amount of power that goes to the backlight/screen, too much power and the screen can go white and not enough power the screen can go black.

joshua1970

joshua1970

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

The video data cable is a possibility but just so that you are aware the inverter actually controls the amount of power that goes to the backlight/screen, too much power and the screen can go white and not enough power the screen can go black.

yeah thats what i was thinking too... so just to be safe i'll check out both.
thanks!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Over voltage from the AC adapter or the battery can also cause this as can a system short.

Have you tried using battery power only and vice versa removing the battery and using only the AC adapter, if so what was the outcome in both instances please.

Is the AC adapter power jack port secure, can you also check the centre pin as they can sometimes become damaged and cause all sorts of issues, an example of what I refer to here