Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Java for yahoo games

• Please log in to reply

trs4594

trs4594

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
While trying to get into yahoo games I suddenly got an error box saying my security settings have blocked an application from running with an out-of-date or expired version of java. I added the update but got the same error box.

I have tried uninstalling java and then reinstalling different versions but I get the same message. I made no changes to my computer to cause this.

Please help!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
Hello trs4594

Have you checked to see if any updates were installed previous to the issue starting.

Have you tried restoring the computer back to a date before the issue began, go to Start and then enter rstrui.exe in the search field, restore the computer to an appropriate date.

trs4594

trs4594

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
The problem began after I updated per a java notice. After several unsuccessful attempts to get into yahoo euchre, I did do a system restore back to a few days prior. Same problem.

I then did some googling and experimenting with the java control panel. I found if I lowered the security level to a medium, java would allow me to enter the game after clicking on the 'run' prompt on a different security warning box, which acknowledged it was an unsigned application.

So after I got into the game lounge chat, I asked people about it and they all said they had the same experience. So I guess my question is answered, at least for now.

Thanks for responding and if you have anything further to offer, please feel free to do so.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
Thanks for the update trs4594 :thumbsup:

It is not ideal lowering your security settings, it is however recommended that you do so in Internet Explorer, please see here

SomeOneElse

SomeOneElse

• Pip
  • 1 posts
HELP! I'm having the same problem. I am using Windows Vista, updated to latest Java version
and then went into the Java control panel, configure java and added websites to the exceptions
list (and lowered security to medium).
It gets further than before but I still can't get the game app to open because it says the game
is on another site (or something) and the JAR file at that web address is not on the exceptions
list. But I have no idea what the 'address' is for the JAR file, so can't add it.
HELP? I'm going through withdrawal without my Yahoo games!! :)
Thanks!

trs4594

trs4594

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
I lowered my security to the lowest level. As you go to the games a box pops up that you have to click to acknowledge there is a risk but it's standard procedure for java. Once I got into yahoo euchre the people in the lounge said they had the same problem and they all did the same thing. I have had no issues since then so good luck.