Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard drive issues and can't run OTL

• Please log in to reply

Biscuithd

Biscuithd

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,573 posts
Do you use USB/Flash or Thumb drives on your computer? Just wondering if those shortcuts are Malware shortcuts. Let's try this..
(If you have recently used any flash drives with your computer they will need to be scanned.
Note: If you have used multiple flash drives they will all need to be scanned!)

Download McShield to your desktop and install
It will initially run a scan and show the result as a toaster by the system clock. Open that.

Then in the control center select scanner and tick unhide items on flash drives

Plug in the drive and McShield will start a scan

Then get the log which will be here :

Start > all programs > MCShield > logs > all scans

Advertisements

Nanee5_08

Nanee5_08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Yes I do; downloaded (the link you put up didn't work, had to find it on my own) and scanned. Both computer and flash drive was clean.

I am in the process of putting everything on my flashdrives that are important. I think I'm gonna have to wind up recovering it after all if I can't find what is eating up the HD. I had a computer guy tell me once that he recovered his once a year or so. What do you think?

Nanee5_08

Nanee5_08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
>>> MCShield AllScans.txt <<<

-----------------------------

MCShield ::Anti-Malware Tool:: http://www.mcshield.net/

>>> v 3.0.4.27 / DB: 2014.2.2.1 / Windows Vista <<<

2/5/2014 1:14:30 PM > Drive C: - scan started (no label ~101 GB, NTFS HDD )...

=> The drive is clean.

2/5/2014 1:14:30 PM > Drive E: - scan started (RECOVERY ~11 GB, NTFS HDD )...

>>> E:\autorun.inf > Legitimate file.

=> Elevation of privileges...

2/5/2014 1:14:51 PM > Drive E: - scan started (RECOVERY ~11 GB, NTFS HDD )...

>>> E:\autorun.inf > Legitimate file.

>>> E:\desktop.ini - Malware > Deleted. (14.02.05. 13.14 desktop.ini.197750; MD5: ff0799d89628fff26ef5d2cdb9ac1afb)

>>> E:\folder.htt - Malware > Deleted. (14.02.05. 13.14 folder.htt.68885; MD5: 5d6c83d08a839687a8de416de3be1b4a)

=> Malicious files : 2/2 deleted.

::::: Scan duration: 1sec ::::::::::::::::::

MCShield ::Anti-Malware Tool:: http://www.mcshield.net/

>>> v 3.0.4.27 / DB: 2014.2.2.1 / Windows Vista <<<

2/5/2014 1:16:41 PM > Drive D: - scan started (KINGSTON ~988 MB, FAT flash drive )...

=> The drive is clean.

Biscuithd

Biscuithd

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,573 posts
I spoke with my instructor and his recommendation is to reset Vista every two years (XP every year).

As I look at your space issues, you have "roughly" 27gig with user files (music and pictures), and 26 gig for VIsta and layered products. Which gives you about 25-ish gig free. Even if you reset, you'll have the same free space, unless you put your pics and music on external drives.

Also, the post you showed with the access issue is because that is a shortcut to a thumb drive. if the proper drive were inserted, you'd not get the error.

Does all this make sense? Any questions? I think it's safe to say that we've removed all the Malware.

Nanee5_08

Nanee5_08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Yes, it makes sense, I had just never heard of that before..LOL. I took all my pics and important files (tax returns, etc.) and put them on a flash drive, so now I have like 35 gig. free. I really didn't want to recover it, so I am glad that you think my space really wouldn't free up that much. I really appreciate the time and effort you gave to help me clean this thing up. You are awesome. :)

Biscuithd

Biscuithd

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,573 posts
Hi there,

I really appreciate the time and effort you gave to help me clean this thing up. You are awesome. Posted Image

You are very welcome!!

However, don't leave yet as I have some clean up to do and a piece of Prevention software to run.

A good workman always cleans up after himself so..The following will implement some cleanup procedures as well as reset System Restore points:

Download and run Delfix

Posted Image

Now that you are clean, to help protect your computer in the future I recommend that you get the following free programmes:

CryptoPrevent install this programme to lock down and prevent crypto ransome ware

Posted Image

Next:

Any questions?