I am using Win XP, AVG 2013 free edition
I have something strange new phenomenon occurring here, which I suspect is related to my primary problem
First off,windows task bar shows an unknown task as gort! klaatu barada nikto!. On it, there is a Firefox logo, and the words; "about:memory - Mozilla Firefox" "Porn" etc
The words on this button intermittently changes to different strange websites.
When I checked the Windows Task Manager - it listed "about:memory - Mozilla Firefox" as a running application. When I right clicked on this application, a drop down menu appeared. One of the options was "Go to Process". When I clicked this option it took me to the Processes window in the Task Manager, and highlighted "dwm.exe"
I went back to the Applications tab in the Windows Task Manager and right clicked on the "about:memory - Mozilla Firefox" running application and killed hte process but with no luck. It sneaks back in each time. its looks like harmless but each time I try to type anything in a window, I loose focus and it is irritating to gain the focus back for each word.
I tried re-booting the computer to see if the task bar button appeared again. It did. When I maximized the button, I briefly saw a window that was titled; "Welcome Humans". When this window was open, the name on the task bar button was; “Gort! Klaatu barada nikto!”
Here is the website that I found when I did a web search for this name. This webpage shows the same window that I saw, titled; “Welcome Humans”
I don't know if this specific site has significance, but I wonder if a "Mozilla Links" application may be implicated?
- Then, a few mins later, the “about:memory” button/application kept changing to the names of different porn sites (unknown to me), but now Firefox web pages also opened – with a new tab opening each time the tab name/application changed.
Could I have opened the door to these connections being able to open Firefox web pages when I maximized the “about:memory” button, or the “Download” button, using the Windows Task Manager?
As I typed this post, I noticed that additional (usually porn) websites were opening with other names. My AVG antivirus free edition did not identify the problem nor restricted this to run on the system.
Here are a few other things I noticed:
- After I would “End Task” in the applications window of the Windows Task manager (to get rid of the button, and close the website), the first spontaneous re-appearance of the application (with a corresponding opening web page)was usually the about:memory button.
- If the button/application changes and other actual web pages begin to open, it is usually either the Gortu page, or, a porn page that is not animal sex porn (and that AVG does not block), but if I do not “end task” for the application
- One of the names of the porn sites in the Applications window of Windows Task manager is “Yes Porn - Mozilla Firefox”
- Sometimes the task bar button name & web pages change quite quickly. Other times, the about:memory button stays the same for significant periods. Sometimes, a porn site name appears, and then the button name changes back to “about:memory - Mozilla Firefox”, all by itself. I have no idea what dictates the frequency or order of the changes.
- Seemingly related, my entire screen now “blinks” quite periodically.
- When I clear all my TEMP files and shutdown the wireless for few minutes and kill the process of the malware, It will not return back for some while until it finds some files in the TEMP folder and re appears.
This mechanism could seemingly explain the background connection mechanism to the Internet, but what is directing my computer to make these connections? And how or why are these particular websites (non-malicious, and malicious and not blocked by AVG) being selected for connection?
And, what next?