Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Connection keeps reseting?

• Please log in to reply

Aukake

Aukake

• PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
My desktop is directly connected to the router via Ethernet, but my connection keeps resetting. I will be playing a game or doing something online and i will lost connection/internet for 5secs and it comes back on. Anything i can do to stop it from doing that?

Advertisements

tk3608

tk3608

• Pip
  • 9 posts
What kind of environment are you in? I mean are you at home or at a business? Is the ethernet cable in a place where it is getting pinched or kinked somehow? Intermittent internet problems are some of the hardest to fix, because there are a number of different factors that can affect connectivity. I am currently in the Information Technology course at Clinton Community College. I am in my last semester before obtaining my Associates Degree. My major is computer networking. I do computers on the side now, but I used to own my own business, SCS Tech Inc. in Wisconsin where I did desktop and laptop support and repair. Here is a list of what I would do until you post further about the information that I need to help you identify the problem that you are experiencing:

1. Check the cable for kinks, bends, overstretching, tears, etc. Also check cable ends to make sure the ethernet cable is set securely into the plastic connector. Improperly terminated cable ends can be a major contributor to intermittent connectivity.

2. Check the power cable to make sure that it is all the way plugged in.

3. Check the modem lights. Are they green or amber? Are they blinking or steady?

4. Try resetting the modem using the reset button.

5. Try hard reset by unplugging the modem.

6. Call your internet service provider and have them check the connection or even reset the connection from their end.

7. Swap out the modem for a new one from your internet service provider.

8. Check your computer for malware.

9. Check for Interferences. Do you have any power cables located next to your ethernet cable? Is there flourence lights, microwaves, or electrical appliances that have electrical motors that may be causing EMI (Electromagnetic Interference) in your environment?

10. Check the power outlet with a circuit tester to make sure that the right amount of current is coming through the socket. If you have a surge protector hooked up to your computer and electrical components in the area this is good. Over-voltage and under-voltage can cause issues with electronics.

11. Do one of these steps at a time so you know which solution was the fix for your situation.

Aukake

Aukake

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
Im directly connected to my router/modem. Its like 2 feet away from my tower. It runs through all my cables of the computer, not sure if that has anything to do with it. Im using a Cat5e not sure if a cat6 would help at all, but mainly i notice it when im playing a game and the internet on my computer would reset and reconnect 1sec later which i lose connection from my game and have to log back in. I did all those steps now and waiting to see if i get a hiccup.

Edited by Aukake, 25 January 2014 - 10:11 AM.

tk3608

tk3608

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Cool. I hope that one of these things work for you. Also try replacing the cable if none of the above stuff works. What game is it that you are trying to play, and does this loss of connection happen with any of the other games that you play? Does this loss of connection occur when you simply surf the internet too? What Internet Service Provider are you using - Comcast Cable, Mediacom, AT&T? Cat 6 means Category 6. Its a cabling standard that is for shielded twisted pair cable. The cable has more protection from "crosstalk" and "EMI." Your Cat 5e cable should be good enough for your purpose.