Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

2008 system upgrade

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts
Apart from the present system requirements keep in mind that the better the new software of the future is the more demanding it will be on system hardware,, multi core is best as it covers both bases.

A very good read for you here

Advertisements

Crunchy6409

Crunchy6409

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Phillpower-

I really appreciate your opinion, and I'm just curious why you selected the 8150 over the 8320?

Thanks!

Crunchy6409

Crunchy6409

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
great article link. Been searching around but hadn't seen that yet. Thanks!

Crunchy6409

Crunchy6409

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
I guess my hesitation is that the 8320 and 8150 actually perform worse on single thread processes than my current Intel 6750. Will I ever notice that or is that something that won't really matter moving forward?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts

Phillpower-

I really appreciate your opinion, and I'm just curious why you selected the 8150 over the 8320?

Thanks!

The performance of both CPUs is very similar but the 8150 is marginally faster, that was the only reason.

great article link. Been searching around but hadn't seen that yet. Thanks!

You are welcome :)

I guess my hesitation is that the 8320 and 8150 actually perform worse on single thread processes than my current Intel 6750. Will I ever notice that or is that something that won't really matter moving forward?

Can I ask from where you read this please.

Benchmarks for your present E6750 CPU place it at #842 in the rankings, the 8320 at #96 and the 8150 at #106, suggesting that the 8320 is the better CPU of the three, benchmarks here

Tip

If you have something to add while waiting for a reply use the edit tab – bottom right of the dialogue input box and this will ensure that no information that you provide is overlooked (this can happen if your topic has more than one page) thank you for understanding.

Crunchy6409

Crunchy6409

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
This site is so awesome! haha!

I've used it before but couldn't seem to login on my old username, thus the reset posting stats. Thanks for the great help (and the tip about editing the post instead of putting a bunch up in a row... yeah... good call).

I guess the single core performance benchmark I was worried about was from this site. I am definitely thinking the 8320 is the way to go for me. Would your originally suggested motherboard still be the way you would go?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts
I must be missing something :)

Reasons to consider the Intel Core2 Duo E6750

Much more l2 cache per core
2 MB/core vs 1 MB/core 2x more l2 cache per core

Significantly lower typical power consumption
52.81W vs 101.56W Around 50% lower typical power consumption

Significantly lower annual commercial energy cost
56.94 $/year vs 109.5 $/year Around 50% lower annual commercial energy cost

Significantly lower annual home energy cost
15.66 $/year vs 30.11 $/year Around 50% lower annual home energy cost

Yes the same MB is all good, amended list

Crunchy6409

Crunchy6409

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Ok... good point!!

Can I re-use the cpu cooler that I have now?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts
Even if you could you would be ill advised to use anything other than the stock heatsink and cooling fan that is provided with the CPU, please see my canned text below;

Your aftermarket cooler, a very important thing I must make you aware of is that you do not need the additional heatsink and CPU fan and if you did use it you would void your CPU warranty both AMD and Intel are clear on this, see below;

AMD;
This Limited Warranty shall be null and void if the AMD microprocessor which is the subject of this Limited Warranty is used with any heatsink/fan other than the one provided herewith.

Full AMD article @ http://support.amd.c...earLimited.aspx

Intel;

damage to the Product due to external causes, including accident, problems with electrical power, abnormal electrical, mechanical or environmental conditions, usage not in accordance with product instructions, misuse, neglect, alteration, repair, improper installation, or improper testing;

Full Intel article available @ http://www.intel.com...b/cs-009862.htm

Crunchy6409

Crunchy6409

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
oh wow. Ok, so I'm kind of stuck with what it comes with I guess. That is good to know!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts
The stock HS and cooling fans that are provided by both AMD and Intel are tested over and above a CPUs safe thermal footprint and they will only fall down if they are malfunctioning or they are incorrectly fitted.

Crunchy6409

Crunchy6409

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
What do you think about this?

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2OFT3

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts

What do you think about this?

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2OFT3

Very good Ram is the GSkill Aries :thumbsup:

NB: I don`t see any obvious shipping costs included at OutletPC (the CPU price listed says $154.93+)

Crunchy6409

Crunchy6409

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
ok thanks. Kind of holding out to see if I can catch the 8320 on sale sometime in the near future. Itching to get it done though!!

Once I purchase I would really appreciate the help you mentioned previously regarding the switch over while maintaining my windows installation and HDD data

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts

ok thanks. Kind of holding out to see if I can catch the 8320 on sale sometime in the near future. Itching to get it done though!!
Sensible approach and trust me the wait will be worthwhile :)

Once I purchase I would really appreciate the help you mentioned previously regarding the switch over while maintaining my windows installation and HDD data
I will be more than happy to do this, all that you will need is your 25 digit Windows product key for registration with MS