Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

BIOS Password Screen?

• Please log in to reply

rhymin

rhymin

• PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
My cousin booted up his PC after being gone for a week, and all of a sudden he had an "Enter Password" screen. The BIOS would load up for less than a second, then this screen would pop up:

Posted Image

He can't even enter anything from his keyboard and has no idea why that screen popped up. He has never had a BIOS password or anything. I told him to reset the CMOS battery, but didn't work. Any ideas why this is happening?

Advertisements

rhymin

rhymin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
He said his friend started it while he was gone and it brought up the Windows password screen, but he didn't know the password so he turned it off. Now the "Enter Password" screen pops up, but he can't type anything. He did say the light doesn't come on for the keyboard, but I'm not sure it would at this point?

rhymin

rhymin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
Problem solved. I told him to clear the CMOS using the jumper. Worked like a charm. :thumbsup:

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,006 posts
Good call rhymin :thumbsup:

rhymin

rhymin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
Thanks Phill. I'm curious if anyone knows why this happened? I've never seen this screen or problem before.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,006 posts
You are welcome rhymin :thumbsup:

I have not experienced this first hand but I have heard of instances where a computer that uses the ML 2032 BIOS type battery as opposed to the CR 2032 type when left unused for a while it can zero the time and date and the password settings, this because the ML 2032 type battery are rechargeable and rely on being topped up regularly, these batteries however are not commonly used in most computers (mainly notebook types) so it is most likely not the case here, ask your cousin to keep a check on the time and date as a precautionary measure, just in case the BIOS battery is flaky.

ML 2032 battery and another specification/type the ML 1220

rhymin

rhymin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
Thank you for that. Can the CR2032 replace this battery, or are they not interchangeable?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,006 posts
The MB would need to be capable of recharging the battery by regulating the voltage to it, most MBs do not have this function so the answer would be that they are not interchangeable, a topic on CMOS batteries