Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

General Lag n' Load

• Please log in to reply

Spooli

Spooli

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello all,
I didn't quite know where to topic this, but I'm really hoping to find some help. I'll try to prevent the wall-o-text, but it's difficult to explain!

In December I replaced my hard drive to a 250gb SSD 2.5" SATA blah blah blah. I had a fresh format, fresh install so I didn't bring any crap over I didn't want to. I have next to nothing on my computer except for my anti-virus/spyware. Microsoft Word and Excel, Google Chrome, and my Steam account with several games. After that, nothing else of extreme importance. I have weekly maintenance for my computer for scans, monthly defrags, etc.

My problem is this: Everything I do on my computer, EVERYTHING, suffers from random 15-30 seconds of freezing or loading time before it gets going. It could be loading gmail or random webpage, to starting a video on vlc player, to starting up Skyrim or other game. It doesn't happen every time, but when it does, my computer will just sit there. I can click on things, move my mouse, look at other windows, but I cannot open folders or interact with anything. Then after the period of time mentioned above , it will all load and get going. Once any of the above actually start, I have no further problems for the remainder of my time browsing, watching, playing. It's just weird, and frustrating at times when I'm trying to quickly get the weather or write a quick e-mail before walking out the door, ya know?

Anyhow, I'm no super techie, but I've run RAM tests, those seem to check out fine, I have no viruses or malware according to scans, and I don't have anything that really eats up my memory. I've noticed my last few times I've tried to watch a movie my VLC uses a pretty big chuck of RAM, but outside of that, I'm really out of ideas as to what's wrong, defective SSD maybe? Thanks for your help everyone, looking forward to a fix!

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel® Core™ i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40GHz, 3401 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 1003, 2/11/2011
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 12.0 GB
Total Physical Memory 12.0 GB
Available Physical Memory 8.95 GB
Total Virtual Memory 24.0 GB
Available Virtual Memory 20.3 GB

Advertisements

KingdomSeeker

KingdomSeeker

• PipPip
  • 80 posts
Hello spooli and welcome to G2G. This isn't uncommon when switching Hdds. I don't think it is causing your woes but you can stop the defrag scan as an SSD should nee defragged. If you could do the following so I can see your temps and what confilcts may be going on I'd appreciate it.

Download and run Speccy http://www.piriform.com/speccy. copy the provided link and post it in your next post.

Spooli

Spooli

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi, and thanks for replying, I'm still scratching my head over this! Here's just the summary, let me know if and what categories you would like detailed descriptions of. I'll be home later this afternoon/evening and can post them for you.

Operating System
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
CPU
Intel Core i7 2600K @ 3.40GHz 31 °C
Sandy Bridge 32nm Technology
RAM
12.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 668MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK Computer INC. P8P67 LE (LGA1155) 28 °C
Graphics
SAMSUNG (1920x1080@60Hz)
2048MB ATI AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series (ATI) 42 °C
Storage
223GB Crucial_CT240M500SSD1 ATA Device (SSD)
Optical Drives
DTSOFT Virtual CdRom Device
HL-DT-ST BD-RE BH10LS30
Audio
AMD High Definition Audio Device

KingdomSeeker

KingdomSeeker

• PipPip
  • 80 posts
If you are able to run the Speccy report it gives us most of what we need to see. It's very detailed as you will see. Thank you.

Spooli

Spooli

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Isn't that what I just posted? This was the "summary" it gave me, do you want the detailed info on each section?

KingdomSeeker

KingdomSeeker

• PipPip
  • 80 posts
There was a blooper somewhere lol. try getting it from this link. http://www.piriform....file-to-the-web It will give you a long report. I apologize for whatever happened there. It will create a link for you to post.

Spooli

Spooli

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Gotcha, here's the link! Thank you for your help.
http://speccy.pirifo...nMuuxDUkXlgFq17

KingdomSeeker

KingdomSeeker

• PipPip
  • 80 posts
Your SSD status reports as "unknown" which means there could be some issues. I'd like yu to run a HDD test.

Download the following, after reading the instructions...burn the .iso file to CD...then run the long/extended generic diagnostic, please. Do not attempt any "fixes", just run the long diagnostic and post the results.

Guide, SeaTools For DOS - http://www.seagate.c...olsDOSguide.pdf

SeaTools for DOS Download - http://www.seagate.c...ols-dos-master/

Windows 7 and 8 have a built in ISO burner.

1. Insert a recordable CD, DVD, or Blu‑ray Disc into your disc burner.

2. Open Computer by clicking the Start button , and then clicking Computer.

3. In Windows Explorer, find the disc image file, and then double-click it.

4. If you have more than one disc burner, from the Disc burner list in Windows Disc Image Burner, click the burner that you want to use.

5. (Optional) If you want to verify that the disc image was burned correctly to the disc, select the Verify disc after burning check box.
If the integrity of disc image file is critical (for example, the disc image file contains a firmware update), you should select this check box.

6. Click Burn to burn the disc.

Spooli

Spooli

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I can't seem to pull up the log results as the instructions say, but there wasn't much to show. My drive passed both the short and long tests. Something called SMART Support is enabled, and has not been Tripped. I'll keep trying to pull up the logs, but in my dos prompt typing DIR *.log as it said too simply tells me the serial number and that the volume in drive C has no label.

Tyskie

Tyskie

• PipPip
  • 58 posts
Hello. I'm fairly new to this forum and I happened across your post. I had the exact same problem a few years back and I thought I'd share what little knowledge I have of this issue: when it happened to me, I couldn't fix it. I put up with it for a couple of weeks and it went away by itself. As far as I am aware I made no changes to make this happen, it just seemed to have sorted itself out with no outside influence and it never came back.

Obviously this may not be the case for you but I hope that you get it sorted one way or another and if you can't - don't worry too much as it may sort itself out! :thumbsup:

Sorry to have potentially been of no use :lol: