Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD - atikmpag.sys was named in most of WhoCrashed report - Help plea

• Please log in to reply

Tungsten72

Tungsten72

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
Sorry forgot to include those temps. This is basically at rest with only this IE page open, 42 degrees C is not too horrible is it?...

Operating System
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
CPU
AMD Athlon II X4 645 63 °F
Propus 45nm Technology
RAM
4.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
Acer Aspire M3410 (CPU 1) 92 °F
Graphics
ASUS VS247 (1920x1080@60Hz)
1024MB ATI AMD Radeon HD 6700 Series (XFX Pine Group) 108 °F
Storage
931GB Western Digital WDC WD10EADX-22TDHB0 SCSI Disk Device (RAID)
Optical Drives
HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH60N SCSI CdRom Device
Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio

Maybe you'd rather see it in Celsius:

Operating System
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
CPU
AMD Athlon II X4 645 17 °C
Propus 45nm Technology
RAM
4.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
Acer Aspire M3410 (CPU 1) 33 °C
Graphics
ASUS VS247 (1920x1080@60Hz)
1024MB ATI AMD Radeon HD 6700 Series (XFX Pine Group) 42 °C
Storage
931GB Western Digital WDC WD10EADX-22TDHB0 SCSI Disk Device (RAID)
Optical Drives
HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH60N SCSI CdRom Device
Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio

Advertisements

Tungsten72

Tungsten72

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
Ok. I attempted to uninstall the Catalyst Suit. The computer crashed right in the middle of it. I have it set so that the BSOD stays onscreen. Tried to restart. Windows would not restart, it crashed again while trying. SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION was on the BSOD, a WhoCrashed report will follow this explanation. Anyway... Tried one more time to restart, tried to get it into Safe Mode but either I didn't do it right or it was not an option. Screen finally came up giving me two options, either choose "Startup Repair" or "Start Windows Normally". I chose the Startup Repair. It analyzed for a minute then offered me to restore back to a restore point "where windows was working normally". Now I did create a restore point before I attempted to uninstall this AMD Catalyst. It went through the restore point repair, completed that, it did give a Repair Log Report, & I looked that over & even tried to highlight the whole thing & copy. So anyway, after it was done doing it's repairs, it said to click finish & either the Restore would work or it would not & if not that my computer would need another run at Startup Repair. But the Restore did work. Although I don't think it restored it back to the point that I created just minutes before attempting the uninstall because some minor changes I'd made to the desk top were undone. So What now? Should I try the uninstall again? I feel that another crash would be likely. Should I try it in Safe Mode? If so how do I get it into safe mode? I followed that old advise I used to read on here of pressing F8 repeatedly until that option came up, but that was back on a Windows XP that I used to do that.

Here's the WhoCrashed report.

On Wed 1/29/2014 12:49:40 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\012814-30513-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0xA27FC)
Bugcheck code: 0x1000007E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000002, 0xFFFFF800032ED7FC, 0xFFFFF88009BE0DA0, 0xFFFFF88009BE0E40)
Error: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that a system thread generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Wed 1/29/2014 12:49:40 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: atikmdag.sys (atikmdag+0x7C2DE9)
Bugcheck code: 0x7E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000002, 0xFFFFF800032ED7FC, 0xFFFFF88009BE0DA0, 0xFFFFF88009BE0E40)
Error: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\atikmdag.sys
product: ATI Radeon Family
company: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
description: ATI Radeon Kernel Mode Driver
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that a system thread generated an exception that the error handler did not catch.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: atikmdag.sys (ATI Radeon Kernel Mode Driver, Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.).
Google query: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Though it still shows the ATI as the culprit I want to look at the memory first.

A If you have more than one RAM module installed, try starting computer with one RAM stick at a time.

NOTE Keep in mind, the manual check listed above is always superior to the software check, listed below. DO NOT proceed with memtest, if you can go with option A

B. If you have only one RAM stick installed...
...run memtest...

1. Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip). If you prefer to use the USB version then use this link USB KEY
2. Unzip downloaded /memtest86+-4.20.iso.zip file.
3. Inside, you'll find /memtest86+-4.20.iso file.
4. Download, and install ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/
5. Insert blank CD into your CD drive.
6. Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc
7. Click on Browse for a file... icon:

Posted Image

8. Locate memtest86+-4.20.iso file, and click Open button.
9. Click on ImgBurn green arrow to start burning bootable memtest86 CD:

Posted Image

10. Once the CD is created, boot from it, and memtest will automatically start to run. You may have to change the boot sequence in your BIOS to make it work right.

To change Boot Sequence in your BIOS

Reboot the system and at the first post screen (where it is counting up memory) start tapping the DEL button
This will enter you into the Bios\Cmos area.
Find the Advanced area and click Enter
Look for Boot Sequence or Boot Options and highlight that click Enter
Now highlight the first drive and follow the directions on the bottom of the screen on how to modify it and change it to CDrom.
Change the second drive to the C or Main Drive
Once that is done then click F10 to Save and Exit
You will prompted to enter Y to verify Save and Exit. Click Y and the system will now reboot with the new settings.

The running program will look something like this depending on the size and number of ram modules installed:

Posted Image

It's recommended to run 5-6 passes. Each pass contains very same 8 tests.

This will show the progress of the test. It can take a while. Be patient, or leave it running overnight.

Posted Image

The following image is the test results area:

Posted Image

The most important item here is the “errors” line. If you see ANY errors, even one, most likely, you have bad RAM.

Tungsten72

Tungsten72

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
Hey I can only see 2 of your 5 posted images, the other 3 are just x's saying Posted Image.

But maybe I won't need them... I do have 2 RAM sticks... 2 GB each. So take one out, start computer with just one & wait for what? Something to happen, nothing to happen? Then try the other, yes?

One note:

Since the attempted uninstall of the Catalyst Suit, I've not had any BSOD's... BUT... minecraft is constantly crashing, one of the worlds is corrupted, has a huge hole in it. May have nothing to do with BSOD problem, but thought I'd mention it since its a new symptom.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Sounds more like Minecraft then the ATI driver.
Yes try one memory for a day and then try the other. I would like you to run the memtest though to be sure.