Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System shutdown due to overheating

• Please log in to reply

chickmazta

chickmazta

• PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
Good day guys. I've been dealing with this problem for about 5 days now and I'm really messed up and cannot think of more solution.

I recently upgraded an old desktop system for office use but I kept experiencing shutdowns which points to overheating. I can see the temperature in bios rising to 92c. I have already checked every component and none of them is faulty even the power supply. Windows is not the issue because its newly installed. Biostar website clearly states that the processor is supported.

These are the solutions I have tried:

-change processor with good one
-change memory
-cleaned heatsink and fan
-change different heatsink and fan
-re-applied thermal paste
-update bios
-change power supply
-remove motherboard from case
-disabled virtualization
-disabled fan control to run at full speed

I have 2(two) sets of unit with the same specs and both of them have same result auto shutdown.

Here are the specifications:

Amd Athlon 64X2 5000+ (AD05000IAA5D0) (this was an upgrade previous is Sempron LE-1250)
MCP6PB M2+ Ver. 6.0 (updated bios to latest)
2Gb DDR2 memory (upgraded from 1GB to 2gb)
Palit GT610 2gb ddr3 64-bit (newly installed and brandnew just for typing)
80GB sata Hdd
550watts power supply

hope you guys could add some other troubleshooting guides. Thanks very much

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts
Hi,

I don't have extensive experience with AMD processors but I could add some ideas because you see the temperature raising on the BIOS
- make sure you are not overclocking the processor, the BIOS could be using wrong voltage values for the processor you have now
- try to confirm if the heatsink and fan are appropriated for the new processor, if the processor work normally at a higher thermal power than the old one you may need a new heatsink and/or fan
- the thermal paste could be of bad quality or not applied properly, don't be offended about this it could happen it's not easy to apply, it must be the correct amount and disposition...

chickmazta

chickmazta

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
Thanks for the input, I'm not offended at all. I used every heatsink available here from sockets am2 am2+ and even used am3 stock heatsinks but still the same issue. Regarding thermal compound, at first I used and ordinary paste. But then I realized that I need a more good compound so I purchased from coolermaster. But same issue. With regards to overclocking, processor is on stock speed. I have not change any values in bios.

Processors voltage requirement is 1.3v, Is there any significant change if I drop it to let say 1.25v? There are some options which I can modify from 1.375, 1.350, 1.325, 1.300, 1.275 and so on...

I am really puzzled about this situation, I have been poking around computers for almost 7 years now and this just makes me a noob.

One thing I have observe, when processor reaches at least 60c and it goes idle temperature won't go down it stays there. It should have gone low because it was idle but no change.

Thanks again

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
Hello chickmazta

Have you tried restoring the MBs factory default settings in the BIOS.

What is the brand and model name or number of the PSU.

Do the following for us please;

Go to Start then to Run/Search
Type in compmgmt.msc and click Enter
On the left side click on Disk Management
On the right side you will see your hard drive.
Now I need you to take an expanded screenshot and attach it to your next reply.

Download Speedfan and install it.
Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows. The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.
If you are running on a vista machine, please go to where you installed the program and run the program as administrator.

Posted Image
(this is a screenshot from a vista machine)

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Depending on the results we may need to run further software for comparison http://www.cpuid.com.../hwmonitor.html

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

chickmazta

chickmazta

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
Sorry for the late reply, I had to rebuild electrical wires here at my house because of transformer explosion.

I'm still having the same problem. I have tried 5 different power supplies including 1 generic type. 1 korean brand which I know is true rated because of its very heavy 400watts. Hec raptor 550watts. Cougar CMX 700watts and Thermaltake toughpower 850watts, all with same result.

I will post images on my next reply. I need to reformat the drive to rule out program related problems. But I'll be using different processor because if I use the dual core it turns off at 35%. I'll keep you guys posted. Thanks!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
We will look out for your next update :thumbsup: