Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Looking for a program to quickly swap audio/video output settings

• Please log in to reply

AniDanny

AniDanny

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
My current setup - I have a long HDMI cable to plug my computer into my HDTV on the other side of the room. I have an HDMI splitter so I can also have my PS3 plugged in, rather than having unplug one and plug the other in every time.

My current procedure - To use the PS3, I have to unplug the PC HDMI cable. The TV gets confused and tries displaying both simultaneously (ie, keeps refreshing about every three seconds, clearly switching between which input it's trying to pull from). Then to use the PC, I have to go to my Display settings, change the settings from "only display on (monitor)" to "extend desktop across both screens". Then I have to go to the audio settings to tell the audio to output to my TV instead of my computer's speakers. And if I have the PS3's HDMI cable still plugged into the splitter, there's a bit of "snow" over some of the screen (not as bad as full-screen static, but there's a couple hundred or so pixels that are flickering white).

My ideal procedure - Have a program that I can set have a couple of "preset" configurations for my outputs. One that's "audio/video only to monitor", another that's "extend display across both, audio to TV", maybe another that's "duplicate display on both, audio to TV". And I'm not sure if anything can be done to make the display ONLY recognize the PC input if the PS3 is in standby mode, or make it ONLY recognize the PS3 if the PC is displaying solely to the monitor... but if anyone has any suggestions, I'd love some help. Thanks!

P.S. I would think there might be a configuration option along the lines of what I need in the Catalyst Control Center, but I'm not sure where in that program I would find such a thing.

Advertisements