Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Black screen w/ white blinking underscore

• Please log in to reply

Woeful

Woeful

• Pip
  • 1 posts
The computer is a Dell Dimension E510, running Windows 7 and Windows XP (it's dual built).

I do not have discs for either Windows type.

When I power the computer on it goes directly to a black screen with a white, blinking underscore. BIOS does not load, I do not see the Dell loading screen nor do I get to the Windows loading screen. I don't know a lot about computers, so I'm stumped. F2, F8, F12 do nothing. Please help? :c

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,744 posts
:welcome: Woeful

If you normally see a Dell BIOS splash screen but you are not getting one now but you do get a white "blinking underscore" there may be an issue with the BIOS chip itself.

Please answer the following questions for us;

Had you made any hardware or software changes previous to this happening.
Have you tried tapping the Tab key when you restart the computer (this is how some MBs turn off/on the BIOS splash screen).
Do you have an add on video card fitted.
Would you be ok with opening up the computer if it is necessary.