Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No WiFi in Vista

• Please log in to reply

Shady

Shady

• PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
Had Linux Mint on this laptop previously and the wifi worked flawlessly. Decided I no longer need the laptop so I was going to re-install Windows Vista. After I finally got that done, now the wifi does not work. Can't even find a network. Looked in 'Device Manager' and it shows the card working properly (go figure). It's a "Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller" I don't have a network cable to try and hook it up to the router, otherwise I would just update Windows Vista and go from there. Appreciate all the help soon to follow.

Advertisements

KingdomSeeker

KingdomSeeker

• PipPip
  • 80 posts
Let's try resetting your IP

You can can reset your IP address by :

1. Opening the Windows Command Prompt located in Start -> Accessories or

Start -> Run -> Type in either "cmd" or "cmd.exe" (without the quotes)

2. Type in "ipconfig /release" (without the quotes)

3. After releasing the IP, typie in "ipconfig /renew" (without the quotes)

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Check the computer manufacturers web site and see if there is a newer driver for the wireless card. If so download, put on a flash drive and install on hte Vista system, see if that helps.

Some of the older drivers are not WPA capable, just WEP so a newer driver is needed to work with routers using WPA (almost all now).

Shady

Shady

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
Thanks guys. I'll give it a shot when I'm home for lunch then post back w.results!

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
What is the make and complete model number of the computer?

Shady

Shady

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
I know its a Toshiba Satellite. Don't have the model # with me.

Shady

Shady

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

What is the make and complete model number of the computer?

Toshiba Satellite A215-S7437
Model #: PSAFGU-00L002

Shady

Shady

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Let's try resetting your IP

You can can reset your IP address by :

1. Opening the Windows Command Prompt located in Start -> Accessories or

Start -> Run -> Type in either "cmd" or "cmd.exe" (without the quotes)

2. Type in "ipconfig /release" (without the quotes)

3. After releasing the IP, typie in "ipconfig /renew" (without the quotes)

none of it works because I don't have an internet connection

KingdomSeeker

KingdomSeeker

• PipPip
  • 80 posts
I think it must be spreading, I lost my internet connection trying to respond. The purpose of doing the IP reset is to try to establish a connection. I think the next step is to try to reset your winsock..

The reset command is available in the IP context of the NetShell utility. Follow these steps to use the reset command to reset TCP/IP manually:
1. To open a command prompt, click Start and then type CMD in the Search programs and files.
2. Right-click CMD.exe icon in Programs and choose Run as administrator.
3. When the User Account Control box pop up, click Yes.
4. At the command prompt, copy and paste (or type) the following command and then press ENTER:
netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt
Note If you do not want to specify a directory path for the log file, use the following command:
netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt

5. Reboot the computer.

When you run the reset command, it rewrites two registry keys that are used by TCP/IP. This has the same result as removing and reinstalling the protocol. The reset command rewrites the following two registry keys:
SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\
SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\DHCP\Parameters\

To run the manual command successfully, you must specify a file name for the log, in which the actions that netsh takes will be recorded. When you run the manual command, TCP/IP is reset and the actions that were taken are recorded in the log file, known as resetlog.txt in this article.

The first example, c:\resetlog.txt, creates a path where the log will reside. The second example, resetlog.txt, creates the log file in the current directory. In either case, if the specified log file already exists, the new log will be appended to the end of the existing file.

Shady

Shady

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
did what you asked KingdomSeeker to no avail. still no wireless. went to wal-mart and bought a network cable so i could hook it up to the router. it's updating Windows now.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
What type of wireless device do you have? Look in Device Manager under Network Adapters. It will be a Realtek or Atheros.

There are several available on the Toshiba web site for your computer: http://support.toshi...reeText=1852728

ToshibaWLAN.jpg

Shady

Shady

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
I actually tried their website, but kept getting a 404 when I clicked on the link(s) to download a driver. I'll try this link when I get home from work in the AM. Thanks!

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
I just tried a couple of them and they seem to download okay.

Shady

Shady

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
Guess what! I'm typing this from said laptop via wireless :) I would say case closed. Thank you again for the support. This site never fails me.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Great, good news indeed.