Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop running slow. constantly locking up 2-5 minutes into startup.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

rockitout

rockitout

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
It is a paid version.

Advertisements

rockitout

rockitout

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
I just noticed something in my start menu. Listed there are three folders for McAfee. One is McAfee Online Backup. The other two is what concerns me. One is just McAfee and it has McAfee Internet Security in it. The other is McAfee Security Scan Plus. Are these two different products and is it possible that they are conflicting each other? Just a thought.

rockitout

rockitout

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
I did some more investigating and found that McAfee Internet Security was installed on 1/19/14, which was about the time she started having problems with her computer. McAfee Security Scan Plus was installed on 11/17/13.

23red

23red

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,797 posts
Hi rockitout :)

Thank you for the information. Did a little investigating myself and that is a possibility. Either way it is not needed. This is what I'd like you to do:

1. Download a fresh copy of McAfee from here selecting the trial of the version you have to your desktop.

2. Download the McAfee removal tool from here to your desktop.

3. Disconnect from the Internet and make a note of the McAfee license.

4. Go to Control Panel > Programs and Features and uninstall both McAfee Internet Security and McAfee Security Scan Plus then reboot.

5. Run the McAfee removal tool and reboot

6. Install the trial McAfee that you downloaded to your desktop, inserting the license file when asked.

7. Reconnect to the internet, see if it behaves any better.

rockitout

rockitout

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
I completed your instructions above. I had a little trouble with re-instillation of McAfee. I was able to re-install it though. One weird thing that happened was when I installed McAfee, It made me uninstall Malwarebytes. I've never had that happen before. Then again, I don't use McAfee on any of my computers. The computer hasn't locked up once since completing the instructions.

23red

23red

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,797 posts

I completed your instructions above. I had a little trouble with re-instillation of McAfee. I was able to re-install it though. One weird thing that happened was when I installed McAfee, It made me uninstall Malwarebytes. I've never had that happen before. Then again, I don't use McAfee on any of my computers. The computer hasn't locked up once since completing the instructions.

Great! Glad it worked out! I do not use McAfee myself either, but I do know Antivirus programs can be finicky. Let's make sure all is well before you return it:

Step 1.

SecurityCheck by Screen317:

Please also download Security Check by screen317.

•Save it to your Desktop.

•Double click SecurityCheck.exe and follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box.

•A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt; please also post the contents of that document.

NOTE: If SecurityCheck aborts and you get the following message: UNSUPPORTED OPERATING SYSTEM! ABORTED! Try rebooting the system and then run SecurityCheck again.

Step 2.

Go ahead and reinstall Malwarebytes, it should be fine.

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here or here. Or free from here Double Click mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • Make sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
  • If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
  • Once the program has loaded, select "Perform Quick Scan", then click Scan.
  • The scan may take some time to finish, so please be patient.
  • When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When disinfection is completed, a log will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart.(See Extra Note)
  • The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy & Paste the entire report in your next reply.
If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts, click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process, if asked to restart the computer, please do so.

When you return please post:

SecurityCheck log
Malwarebytes log
Please advise how the computer is running, now.

Thank you :)

rockitout

rockitout

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
Here are the 2 logs you requested. Still no lockups with the computer. Everything seems to be running ok.

Results of screen317's Security Check version 0.99.79
Windows 7 Service Pack 1 x64 (UAC is enabled)
Internet Explorer 11
``````````````Antivirus/Firewall Check:``````````````
Windows Firewall Enabled!
McAfee Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware
WMI entry may not exist for antivirus; attempting automatic update.
`````````Anti-malware/Other Utilities Check:`````````
JavaFX 2.1.1
Java version out of Date!
Adobe Flash Player 12.0.0.44 Flash Player out of Date!
Adobe Reader XI
Mozilla Firefox (26.0)
Google Chrome 32.0.1700.107
Google Chrome 32.0.1700.76
````````Process Check: objlist.exe by Laurent````````
`````````````````System Health check`````````````````
Total Fragmentation on Drive C: 3%
````````````````````End of Log``````````````````````

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 1.75.0.1300
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: v2014.02.16.05

Windows 7 Service Pack 1 x64 NTFS
Internet Explorer 11.0.9600.16518
MaryDudzinski :: MARYDSPC [administrator]

2/16/2014 1:17:39 PM
mbam-log-2014-02-16 (13-17-39).txt

Scan type: Quick scan
Scan options enabled: Memory | Startup | Registry | File System | Heuristics/Extra | Heuristics/Shuriken | PUP | PUM
Scan options disabled: P2P
Objects scanned: 401231
Time elapsed: 8 minute(s), 14 second(s)

Memory Processes Detected: 0
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Detected: 0

Registry Keys Detected: 0

Registry Values Detected: 0

Registry Data Items Detected: 0

Folders Detected: 0

Files Detected: 0

(end)

23red

23red

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,797 posts

Awesome. Looking good :thumbsup:
Couple more things to tend to:

One

Lets update Java and Adobe Flash as old versions pose a security risk. Then it should be all good.

Posted Image Java

WARNING: Java is the #1 exploited program at this time. The Department of Homeland Security recommends that computer users disable Java
See this article and this article.
I would recommend that you completely uninstall Java unless you need it to run an important software or to play games online.
In that instance I would recommend that you disable Java in your browsers until you need it for that software and then enable it. (See How to disable Java in your web browser and How to unplug Java from the browser)

If you do need java, then you should follow the direction below update to the latest version.
Your version of Java is out of date. Older versions have vulnerabilities that malicious sites can use to exploit and infect your system. Please follow these steps to remove older version of Java components and upgrade the application.

• Download the latest version of Java SE Runtime Environment (JRE) JRE 7 Update 51 .
  • Under the JAVA Platform Standard Edition, click the "Download JRE" button to the right.
  • Check the box that says: "Accept License Agreement.".
  • Click on the link to download Windows Offline Installation 64 bit ( jre-7u51-windows-x64.exe) and save it to your desktop. Do NOT use the Sun Download Manager.
  • Close any programs you may have running - especially your web browser.
  • Go to Start ~> Control Panel, double-click on Programs and Features and remove all older versions of Java.
  • Check any item with Java Runtime Environment (JRE or J2SE) in the name.
    You have: JavaFX
    Java Auto Updater
  • Click the Remove or Change/Remove button to in turn remove each.
  • Repeat as many times as necessary to remove each Java version.

*** While you're in there, please uninstall Adobe Flash, if found.
  • Reboot your computer once all Java components are removed.
  • Then from your desktop, right click on the jre-7u51-windows-x64.exe and select Run as an Administrator to install the latest version. And you're good to go.

*Note: If offered to install a Toolbar, just uncheck the box before continuing unless you want it.

Two

Adobe Flash ~> Be sure to keep it updated. Download site is here. Make sure you uncheck the box for "Yes, install Chrome as my default browser and Google Toolbar for Internet Explorer ".

Three

1. Let me know if you were able to update Adobe.
2. Let me know if you were able to update Java.
3. Let me know if any issues remain.

rockitout

rockitout

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
I was able to update both Java and Flash as per your instructions. It appears that everything is still running smooth.

23red

23red

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,797 posts

Great! I'm glad all is well! The malware issues were very minimal. The main issue appears to have been having both of the different McAfee programs atop each other. Otherwise, everything looks good now :thumbsup:

A few things to help keep things going ok:

1. We need to remove the tools we've used during the cleaning of your machine

• Download Delfix from here
  • Ensure Remove disinfection tools is ticked
    Also tick:
    • Create registry backup
    • Purge system restore

Posted Image
  • Click Run

The program will run for a few moments and then notepad will open with a log. Please paste the log in your next reply.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

2. Windows Updates

It is critical to have both a firewall and an anti virus to protect your system and to keep them updated, and to keep your operating system up to date make sure Windows Updates are kept current:

A major essential is to keep your computer updated with the latest operating system patches and security fixes. Windows Updates are constantly being revised to combat the newest hacks and threats, Microsoft releases security updates that help your computer from becoming vunerable. It is best if you have these set to download automatically.
If they are not already or if you need to check:

1. Open Windows Update by clicking the Start Posted Image Orb. In the search box, type Update, and then, in the list of results, click Windows Update.

2. In the left pane, click Change settings.

3. Under Important updates, choose the option that you want. Recommended setting: Install updates automatically

4. Under Recommended updates, select the Give me recommended updates the same way I receive important updates check box, and then click OK. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Your Antivirus and Firewall are set. You have Malwarebytes on your computer ~ Use it often it's a great tool to have. Update and run weekly to keep your system clean.

When installing\updating ANY program, make sure you always select Custom installation, so you can UN-check any possible "drive-by-install" (foistware), like toolbars etc., which may try to install along with the legitimate program. Do NOT click "Next" button without looking at any given page.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

3. CryptoLocker Warning

There is a particularly nasty infection out there at the moment.

Go to this link ~> here for information about CryptoLocker Ransomeware.

Download CryptoPrevent free for home use.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

4. When you return:

Post the Delfix log
Please advise if all went well an how the machine is doing.

Advertisements

rockitout

rockitout

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
Computer is still running good. Here is the latest log:

# DelFix v10.6 - Logfile created 20/02/2014 at 13:30:40
# Updated 11/11/2013 by Xplode
# Username : MaryDudzinski - MARYDSPC
# Operating System : Windows 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1 (64 bits)

~ Removing disinfection tools ...

Deleted : C:\_OTL
Deleted : C:\Users\MaryDudzinski\Desktop\OTL.Txt
Deleted : C:\Users\MaryDudzinski\Desktop\OTL(1).exe
Deleted : C:\Users\MaryDudzinski\Desktop\SecurityCheck.exe
Deleted : C:\Users\MaryDudzinski\Downloads\Extras.Txt
Deleted : C:\Users\MaryDudzinski\Downloads\OTL.Txt
Deleted : C:\Users\MaryDudzinski\Downloads\OTL.exe
Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\OldTimer Tools
Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\AdwCleaner

~ Creating registry backup ... OK

~ Cleaning system restore ...

Deleted : RP #152 [Scheduled Checkpoint | 02/13/2014 23:47:56]
Deleted : RP #153 [Windows Update | 02/14/2014 04:14:47]
Deleted : RP #154 [Removed JavaFX 2.1.1 | 02/18/2014 04:37:43]
Deleted : RP #155 [Installed Java 7 Update 51 (64-bit) | 02/18/2014 04:46:33]
Deleted : RP #156 [Windows Update | 02/18/2014 05:03:06]

New restore point created !

########## - EOF - ##########

23red

23red

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,797 posts

Computer is still running good

Great! You did excellent :D All looks to be well, you are good to go. Your friend will be very happy :yes: Thank you for YOUR help. Just a reminder for your friend: One antivirus only. More will definitely cause problems.
We'll leave this thread open for a couple days just in case you need anything else.

Take care and Surf Safe :thumbsup:

rockitout

rockitout

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
I will be sure to pass along the advice. Thank you very much for all your help.

23red

23red

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,797 posts
:thumbsup: You're very welcome :)

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.