Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can other hardware destroy a GPU? +other confusing issues

• Please log in to reply

Scrawny_

Scrawny_

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I recently decided to upgrade my PC. Did my research and ordered the parts (Everything but the PSU, RAM and a secondary hard drive were brand new). After trying it out for a bit, I ran into a complete system freeze during gameplay (Nothing too fancy, just Mirror's edge on high graphics). After restarting the system the same happened during a YouTube video, but this time the PC couldn't restart and had several strange colors and shapes during boot-up, including large squares and horizontal lines. It booted, but around the point where the windows loading screen should've been, it rebooted again in an endless loop. Starting the PC in safe mode would get me to the desktop, but the screen was filled with horizontal lines which would disappear as if being erased in MS paint if I moved anything such as the mouse cursor over them. After disappearing, they'd just reappear somewhere else on the screen. The PC worked perfectly with an older GPU (Which I'm using now), so I sent the new one in for repairs.

Now, it's on it's way back, and I just want to be sure that it won't just blow up again when I put it back in. Any help as to how to make sure it won't happen again or what the weird lines mean or how a GPU managed to prevent the PC from booting would be much appreciated. I think the company I bought it from might get a little curious if I send the same product back twice in a short period of time.

GPU: GTX 780 (Blew up. Currently using Radeon HD 4850 as a replacement)
CPU: AMD FX-8320
Mobo: Asus M5A97 LE R2.0
RAM: A single Kingston 8Gb HyperX Blu, 1600MHz DDR3
PSU: SilverStone STT-ST70F-ES (700W)

Thanks in advance,
Scrawny

Advertisements

KingdomSeeker

KingdomSeeker

• PipPip
  • 80 posts
According to my source http://pcpartpicker....compatibilities your Motherboard and CPU aren't compatible without a bios update. You may have done this already. I'm not sure if such an incompatibility coudl cause damage to your GPU but I will do some reserach for you.

Scrawny_

Scrawny_

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

According to my source http://pcpartpicker....compatibilities your Motherboard and CPU aren't compatible without a bios update. You may have done this already. I'm not sure if such an incompatibility coudl cause damage to your GPU but I will do some reserach for you.

A CPU incompatible with a motherboard causing damage to the GPU does sound rather strange. Then again, I've given up on all logic when it comes to hardware problems.
The CPU and Mobo are working together fine while using this older Radeon card though, so unless there's some seriously weird crap going on, I'd guess that it shouldn't be a problem. I'll make sure to update before I try popping the 780 in again though, just to be sure.

I'll check back every once in a while in case you found something. If not, you've already been a great help, cheers.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.
As you are able to use your computer now without problems, I would say the CPU FX-8320(FD8320FRW8KHK,3.5GHz,8C,125W,rev.C0,AM3+) and MB, are compatible, Asus M5A97 LE R2.0 CPU support list, > https://www.asus.com...s/M5A97_LE_R20/
Your card could have been defective or may be due to a PSU or drivers problem.