Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

can't boot into windows! Don't know what else to try

• Please log in to reply

Kman4488

Kman4488

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
I think I have a multitude of issues going on so I'm kinda scatter brained and new to the world of forums so bare with me. SO!, I dont even know where to start. First off the machine im using is a ASUS K55N Db81, Hiachi 444gb hard drive AMD A8 Trinity Atipio 8gb RAM running Windows 8.1 but came with Windows 8. I first had problems with potential malware/spyware/virus's. well at least thats what someone in another forum adviced me, he had guidied me through the removal process and said i was all clean. Shortly after i upgraded from win 8 to win 8.1. since i did the update i was unable to use system restore, system refresh ,and the factory reset option. I had read this can be due to errors on my hARDdrive or corrupt files. So I ended up rebooting into recovery mode and using command prompt i did a chkdsk , it asked to dismount drive and i was told to type Yes. The chkdsk did find errors on the upper file case and it repaired the drive i did this for bolth my C: drive and X: drive CDROM. bolth had errors and bolth came back clean. Since then i cant boot into windows , i have tried ( bootrec /fixmbr } { bootrec /fixboot} bootrec /rebuildbcd} when it scans for windows installations it says finds 0? long story short i had a Kapersky Recovery Disk and it allowed me to boot into the Rescue Disk mode . It also found infections that the previous software( malwarebytes/ESET online scan/Mcafee/and Kapersky internet Protection) Did not! Find. Now that im able to see files due to the Kav-Rescue -Disk ,im able to peek at some diff logs, and could use some help with what to do next. I attached a log of my current disk layout below. thanks

Kal

Can anyone tell me if they can spot the issue by looking at this diskpart log???? Please im starting to get really burnt out trying to figure this out. thanks!

Microsoft DiskPart version 6.2.9200

Copyright © 1999-2012 Microsoft Corporation.
On computer: MININT-RDPTRS1

Disk ### Status Size Free Dyn Gpt
-------- ------------- ------- ------- --- ---
Disk 0 Online 465 GB 0 B *

Disk 0 is now the selected disk.

Hitachi HTS545050A7E380
Disk ID: {E805A24A-C0ED-4E17-B852-352C5CD6A9F7}
Type : SATA
Path : 0
Target : 0
LUN ID : 0
Location Path : UNAVAILABLE
Current Read-only State : No
Read-only : No
Boot Disk : No
Pagefile Disk : No
Hibernation File Disk : No
Crashdump Disk : No
Clustered Disk : No

Volume ### Ltr Label Fs Type Size Status Info
---------- --- ----------- ----- ---------- ------- --------- --------
Volume 1 C OS NTFS Partition 444 GB Healthy
Volume 2 FAT32 Partition 300 MB Healthy Hidden
Volume 3 Recovery NTFS Partition 900 MB Healthy Hidden
Volume 4 NTFS Partition 350 MB Healthy Hidden
Volume 5 Restore NTFS Partition 20 GB Healthy Hidden

Volume 0 D Repair disc UDF DVD-ROM 295 MB Healthy

Volume 1 is the selected volume.

Disk ### Status Size Free Dyn Gpt
-------- ------------- ------- ------- --- ---
* Disk 0 Online 465 GB 0 B *

Hidden : No
No Default Drive Letter: No
Shadow Copy : No
Offline : No
BitLocker Encrypted : No
Installable : Yes

Volume Capacity : 444 GB
Volume Free Space : 443 GB

Disk 0 is now the selected disk.

Hitachi HTS545050A7E380
Disk ID: {E805A24A-C0ED-4E17-B852-352C5CD6A9F7}
Type : SATA
Path : 0
Target : 0
LUN ID : 0
Location Path : UNAVAILABLE
Current Read-only State : No
Boot Disk : No
Pagefile Disk : No
Hibernation File Disk : No
Crashdump Disk : No
Clustered Disk : No

Partition ### Type Size Offset
------------- ---------------- ------- -------
Partition 1 System 300 MB 1024 KB
Partition 2 Recovery 900 MB 301 MB
Partition 3 Reserved 128 MB 1201 MB
Partition 4 Primary 444 GB 1329 MB
Partition 5 Recovery 350 MB 445 GB
Partition 6 Recovery 20 GB 445 GB

Partition 1 is now the selected partition.

Partition 1
Type : c12a7328-f81f-11d2-ba4b-00a0c93ec93b
Hidden : Yes
Required: No
Attrib : 0X8000000000000000
Offset in Bytes: 1048576

* Volume 2 FAT32 Partition 300 MB Healthy Hidden </pre>

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts
Hi Kal,

Can you describe what happens if you let the system boot normally?

Do you have the Windows 8 install DVD?

Kman4488

Kman4488

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
When it is set to default it doesn't boot black screen and then send me to bios set up. I made a install DVD but now I'm getting an error saying a,required media driver is missing to do clean install .

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

When it is set to default it doesn't boot black screen and then send me to bios set up. I made a install DVD but now I'm getting an error saying a,required media driver is missing to do clean install .

Booting from the Windows 8 DVD after choosing the Language and Keyboard can you click Repair your Computer?
Tell me the options presented next.

Kman4488

Kman4488

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
It gives the standard options Restore / Reset / Refresh - automatic repair and command promt . The issue is that almost none of these work. Automatic repair says it can not fix computer, reset says I'm missing a partition , the refresh option says the drive where windows is installed is locked . Also there seem to no longer be any system restore points, basically I'm stuck with the only option which is command prompt. I can start windows 8 set up for clean install but then receive a error about missing a required download so I'm unable to start install . One other thing it looks as if my C drive is empty ? Yet the x: drive labeled boot has windows dir and other folders that should be on C : the OS drive. I'm stumped at is point

Kman4488

Kman4488

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
When I looked at disk layout log that I posted it shows both recovery and reset volumes listed as healthy so I don't know how it could not be located on system reset.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

It gives the standard options Restore / Reset / Refresh - automatic repair and command promt . The issue is that almost none of these work. Automatic repair says it can not fix computer, reset says I'm missing a partition , the refresh option says the drive where windows is installed is locked . Also there seem to no longer be any system restore points, basically I'm stuck with the only option which is command prompt. I can start windows 8 set up for clean install but then receive a error about missing a required download so I'm unable to start install . One other thing it looks as if my C drive is empty ? Yet the x: drive labeled boot has windows dir and other folders that should be on C : the OS drive. I'm stumped at is point

Can you access the Command Prompt? If you can try the following:

When you boot into the Windows Recovery Environment the drive letter for your Windows installation may not be the same. For example, if your Windows installation is normally on the C: drive, it may not be located at the D: drive. To determine what drive letter your Windows installation is located on, you can type this command press enter:
bcdedit | find "osdevice"

This command will display output similar to : os device partition=D:. The drive letter after partition= is the drive that your Windows installation is located.

Check the disk by typing the command:
chkdsk /f /x D:
Note: replace D: with the drive returned by the command above.

After check disk try to check the system files integrity:
sfc /scannow

Kman4488

Kman4488

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
We'll i tried what you said , and I got a error saying " the boot configuration data store could not be opened . The system can. Not find file specified. Do I have to list the disk before that command ? I was running in c: drive

Edited by Kman4488, 29 January 2014 - 10:12 PM.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

We'll i tried what you said , and I got a error saying " the boot configuration data store could not be opened . The system can. Not find file specified. Do I have to list the disk before that command ? I was running in c: drive

Are you referring to the fist command? How about the others?