Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Laptop cannot connect to wifi

• Please log in to reply

Kristin51505

Kristin51505

• PipPip
  • 70 posts
Hello,
This afternoon I turned on my laptop (Inspiron 1545, Windows Vista) only to find that I am unable to connect to our home wifi. I know our wifi is working because my iPhone (which I'm currently using) and Kindle can connect. When I hover over the network icon on my desktop it reads: Connection: unknown, The dependency service or group failed to start. I checked my network adapters under the Device Manager and a bunch of them have the yellow "!" signs next to them, which doesn't seem like a good thing. I'm not sure why how this happens since I was able to connect to the wifi just last night! Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Hello,

A common resolution to this is to reinstall the wireless drivers for your computer. You don't mention if Vista is 32-bit or 64-bit, but Dell have a great support website to find the drivers.

Naturally if you can't connect, you may have to download the drivers on someone else's PC and copy them across by USB.

Cheers

Kristin51505

Kristin51505

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
Hi Troy,

Thanks for your help😀 I went onto Dell's site and saved the network drivers for Vista (64-bit) onto a USB. I was able to download a couple, but to no effect, and the others all aborted for some reason. I've also been trying to run Network Diagnostics, but I get an alert saying that the Diagnostics Policy Service isn't running. I've tried to start it in the Service Control Manager, but my access is denied each time.

I have an old OS restore Cd (but I believe it was for my old Windows XP desktop). Would using that work as a last resort? Ideally I'd have used System Restore, but I don't have any restore points for some reason 😕

Thanks again!

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
It's very weird that services aren't running that should be. I would think it's possible that the laptop may have been infected. Head on over to the malware department http://www.geekstogo...cleaning-guide/ and get them to work with you in making sure it's clean - I understand it will be a small mission by copying things (like logs) over USB, but if it saves you from restoring, it'd be worth it.

Also the OS Restore discs are usually only meant for the PC that it came with - so the disc you've find is likely not going to work with your laptop.

Kristin51505

Kristin51505

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
Ok, thanks Troy, I'll give that a try! I don't mind going back and forth from computers if it keeps me from having to do a restore. I'm sure a restore would be a lot more work!

Thanks for taking the time to answer my posts, you've been a great help 😀

-Kristin

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
No problem. If they give you a clean bill and you are still having problems, come back to this thread and we can try a few more things.