Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wifi/access point trouble, help appreciated.

• Please log in to reply

DjFonti

DjFonti

• PipPip
  • 98 posts
Hi all.

I have a wifi black spot in my home, and have set up an old router as an access point outside the troublesome room to remedy this problem. It is connected to the main router via ethernet. I have set it to have the same password and SSID as the main router so all devices can be used seamlessly throughout the house.

It worked well for a while but now I have run in to some trouble. When the second, access point router is turned on, it messes up the internet connection on the main router, which has a PC connected to it via ethernet cable. Most or all websites will not load. Disconnecting the ethernet that goes to the AP and restarting the router remedies the problem.

Another thing is every now and then, on the aforementioned PC, I will get a pop up as follows

Posted Image

I don't know if this is related to the above problem or a separate one, it only comes up sometimes.

Can anyone give me some advice on how I can get the AP and main router running properly again, as it is really beginning to bug me?

Perhaps a different device than the a second router would be better? I have been reading up on travel routers being set up as access points and this might work?

I appreciate any feedback, thanks for reading. :thumbsup:

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there,

I think that you have setup two networks exactly the same is causing the issue. I would try setting up the 2nd router in repeater mode. http://en.wikipedia....reless_repeater

Cheers

DjFonti

DjFonti

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Hi. Thanks for the reply. I have it set up as an AP because I have a wired ethernet connection available and wanted to use it to have a better connection. Also, I think to set it up as a repeater you have to flash the firmware which you can't do on my old router. I think repeating the signal really degreades it as well. I would like to fix the problem I'm having with the AP as when it was working fine it was perfect for what I need.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Does this help?

http://www.labnol.or...-network/19716/

DjFonti

DjFonti

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Does this help?

http://www.labnol.or...-network/19716/

Hi mate, thanks for the reply.

That is the coincidentally, the original guide I used to set up the access point. It worked fine for a year it's only now I'm having trouble. I was looking more for troubleshooting help to locate the problem.

I have now bought a mini T-Link router and hopefully that will clear up the problem.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Generally I find starting from the beginning and re-setting it up from scratch usually does the trick. If it was working fine, and then it suddenly stopped (without anyone touching it), then chances are it isn't just one setting that's wrong somewhere.

DjFonti

DjFonti

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Thanks Troy.

I have actually done this in the past. Yet it still stops working after a while. Even more worrying is the access point loses it's security and becomes open. I hope the new TP Link router will fix all the issues, if not I will report back here, thanks for your help.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Yep sounds like a faulty router, definitely a worry that the security settings are lost.

DjFonti

DjFonti

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
My only concern is the popup I sometimes get on my PC about an IP address conflict with another device. Maybe that has something to do with all this? Do you know how I would go about checking all the addresses on the devices that use the network and changing them?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Do you have DHCP running on both routers or only one? Depending on how many computers you have, you could assign static addresses to each device, although usually I'm not a fan of this method if it can be avoided.

I would login to each router and note down the DHCP list, usually each router will have it. Then compare with each PC/device.