Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My desktop computer keeps disconnecting from the internet.

• Please log in to reply

spikeypikey

spikeypikey

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have a desktop computer in my bedroom which I enjoy to play games on. Ever since I brought it quite a few years back it has had a weird problem with the internet. For example I use to play world of warcraft and when downloading the game the speed would change from 400 KBS slowly dropping down to ) KBS after a while. Then it would shoot up to 400 KBS again and slowly fall. I don't play that game any more but I feel that is the root problem I am still experiencing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks

edit: sorry I forgot to mention I am using an adapter which plugs into my computer via Ethernet cable and the same on the other side at the modem.

Edited by spikeypikey, 29 January 2014 - 07:46 AM.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
What do you mean by adapter? Is it a Powerline Adapter that uses house wiring for Ethernet? Please explain a bit more.

Also make and model (complete) of computer.

spikeypikey

spikeypikey

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
System Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model H55M-UD2H
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel® Core™ i3 CPU 530 @ 2.93GHz, 2926 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)

That is the information about the computer.

The adapter is: 85 MBPS powerline Ethernet adapter

Model: NL-HPDUAL

Sorry for the lack of information the first time!

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
I installed a set of Powerline adapters for my daughter and grandson a few years ago. They worked well but suffered from loss of connectivity. I don't remember speed fluctuations though.

Do you have another computer you can try in the bedroom for testing purposes. If it has the same problem then it's the adapters.

You could also try moving the adapters to different power sockets.

spikeypikey

spikeypikey

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
In the past I have tested the adaptors on my laptop which still seems to work perfectly fine. I have changed the plug socket and at the moment it seems to be running better but it has done this before and then started playing up again. I have a feeling I may need to replace something inside my computer as it is faulty but need to find out what it is! Thanks for this help :)

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
If you are using the on-board network connection, consider installing a PCI Network card. That may help.

spikeypikey

spikeypikey

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I have just tried plugging my computer straight into the back of the modem getting rid of the wireless but the problem is still occurring? Do you think this could be something like a faulty motherboard?

THanks

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Yes, that's why I suggested.

If you are using the on-board network connection, consider installing a PCI Network card. That may help.