Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Crash: nv4_disp caused infinite loop. Now Nothing

• Please log in to reply

Herkimer33

Herkimer33

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Event line:
1) a couple 1x1" squares were off color
2) Computer crash, Blue screen message: (paraphrased obviously)
" Prob w/ nv4_disp
If this is first time, restart. If it happens again, yer in an infinite loop,
so, check w/ hardware mancft and drivers. "

Same thing happens second time. I restarted in safe mode, couldn't fix it. I have pictures of both Blue screens when it crashed.

Next restart, screen was very scrambled, tried a few more restarts in safe mode, not possible to do anything due to screen. Now, I get one short been just after turning on, and nothing on screen. So, I can't figure out how to do anything with computer as it is.

Comp is Dell Vostro 400 OS: WIndows XP

I use avast-free and run scans at least weekly w/ Mbam, SASpyware, and the Avast scanner. I did all three in between the crashes, and I don't think there were any suspicious items found.

THANKS in advance!
-Herkimer

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
:welcome: Herkimer33

The Dell Vostro 400 was shipped with various Nvidea add on video card options and the nv4_disp information suggests that there is a problem with the card that is in your computer, the card may only need to be reseated but as the most basic of Nvidea cards that was used in the Dell Vostro 400 only had 128mb of video memory there is a good chance that it has expired, let is know if you are ok with removing the computers add on video card and trying the computer using the MBs integrated video chip.

You say that you now get a single short beep just after turning the computer on, how does this beep differ from the normal POST beep that you previously heard before the issue started.

FWIW one long single beep suggests a memory problem with some brands of BIOS and low end add on video cards rely on system memory for support so I would also remove the Ram, blow out the slot/s and then reseat the Ram securely.

Let us know if you need the instructions for carrying out any of the above checks and we will provide the relevant information for you.

Herkimer33

Herkimer33

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Some success!

I pulled out vid card, blew out lots of dust from everywhere, took out two of the fans 1) attached to ?? heat sink?? (Lots of air flow thru those metal fins was blocked) and 2) fan in the vid card and cleaned them both well (mostly with air, a rubber tooth pic thing, and a mini vacuum).

Put it all back, fired up, and same thing happened with scrambled screen (tho comp is now much quieter;).

Lo, under a plastic cover was a second vid port (integrated in MB I presume), which i plugged the monitor into, and now it's seems good as new. I do get a warning about some misconfiguration, but I F1'd to continue, and it works just fine: intenet, videos, pictures, etc. Same as before, tho the vid settings were changed, and I can't change them or it goes blank saying "configuration cannot be displayed."

Now i assume I need a new vid card? OR...if it's working fine, I don't do any gaming, but I do watch lots of videos via my comp...do i need a new/replacement vid card??
Thanks in advance!
-M

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
It would appear that the add on video card has indeed expired :(

For your intended use the MBs integrated video port will be fine but you must make sure that all traces of the add on card drivers are removed so as to avoid driver conflicts, run driver sweeper to do this, details from here make sure that you only remove the add on video card software and nothing else.

I do get a warning about some misconfiguration

Tell us more about this warning message.