Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

deleted files recovery software

• Please log in to reply

pavati

pavati

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Any good software that recovers deleted files from the hard disk? Any free ones?
thank you.

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Recuva

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts

Recuva

:thumbsup:

The more you use the Computer once you have deleted the Files, the less chance of recovering them with any program, because the deleted Files are quickly overwritten.

What I always suggest is as follows:

Using a second computer to download and install Recuva Portable to a flash drive, then running it from the flash drive on the computer that has the lost files seems to be the safest way to get the best success.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

:confused: Why in the world would you want someone to go through all of that trouble if they won't even be able to save the found files?

Recuva is well-known, easy to use, and totally free.

Couspit

Couspit

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

I used recuva before. The chances of it working will greatly depend on how quick you performed the recovery after the deletion.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Yep, and that's true for any recovery solution. If the space the deleted file was in is used to store a new file, the old file is now overwritten and gone for good.

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts

If the space the deleted file was in is used to store a new file, the old file is now overwritten and gone for good.

That's a BIG yep, from me too! That is why I always stop immediately from using that hard drive. I then slave it to another computer and install Recuva portable to access my precious files. Or of course, what I said above. So many ways to retrieve your data safely and for free....

Its demo version helps you to recover unlimited files and it doesn’t able to save them. To save them you have to buy an Full-Version of the software.

Hmmmm? Why does that sound familiar??  :confused:  Oh yeah! I remember now! That's the definition of a rogue program. They scan your computer, tell you how many files were found then you have to pay to remove them. :upset:

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

:confused:

4Card Recovery is $49.99! And Recuva can do the same job for free. (Recuva is made by the same people that make CCleaner).

Edited by SpywareDr, 04 April 2014 - 07:47 AM.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

4Card Recovery is NOT free.

It is free to download BUT, if finds any deleted files they will only be undeleted after you pay $49.99.

AllexZ

AllexZ

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Hey, according to your description I think what you need is just a recovery tool like 4Card Recovery. This ia a peofessional recovery software and able to recover all kinds of files like pictures, music, films, e-mails and etc. ..As long as your orogonal data has not been erased, it will help you get all your data back.

You can download it for free and the operation steps are not complex.

Step one, download 4Card Recovery online and install it on your computer.

Step two, run it and choose the files that you want to recover, of course, you can choose recover all files in case of the omission of anything.

Step three, scan it by clicking the ‘next’ button and wait for about ten minutes.

Step four, save the recovered files on other part to avoid losing it again.

Have a try.

http://www.4cardrecovery.com/howto/sd-card-format-recovery.html

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

AllexZ, on 12 Apr 2014 - 9:44 PM, said:

Step one, download 4Card Recovery online and install it on your computer.
Step two, run it and choose the files that you want to recover, of course, you can choose recover all files in case of the omission of anything.
Step three, scan it by clicking the ‘next’ button and wait for about ten minutes.
Step four, save the recovered files on other part to avoid losing it again.

However, before your Step 4 will work, the program not let you continue until you have paid $49.99.

b0bl335wa663r

b0bl335wa663r

• PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Recuva is the best one free followed by Orion by NCH. Beware of the ask toolbar installation offer, just uncheck the option while installing. The less you use the drive from which you are going to recover, the more chances of recovery. I personally recovered some 500-600 MB of media without ANY problem, some of them stopped showing thumbnails IDK why but don't write any data to the drive.

ADW665

ADW665

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Try 4Card Recovery.

Step 1. Download it on your computer and install it.

Step 2. Start it and select the files that you want to recover.

Step 3. Scan it and wait for a few moment.

Step 4. Save your recovered data on other place. 

http://freeware-fix.blogspot.com/2013/07/micro-sd-card-recovery-free-software.html

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Try 4Card Recovery.

Step 1. Download it on your computer and install it.

Step 2. Start it and select the files that you want to recover.

Step 3. Scan it and wait for a few moment.

Step 4. Save your recovered data on other place. 

http://freeware-fix blogspot.com/2013/07/micro-sd-card-recovery-free-software html

Warning: Step 4 will not work until you have paid $49.99.

Recuva recovers files deleted from your Windows computer, Recycle Bin, digital camera card, or MP3 player. And it's totally free!

Edited by SpywareDr, 21 April 2014 - 06:15 AM.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

Its demo version helps you to recover unlimited files and it doesn’t able to save them. To save them you have to buy an Full-Version of the software.

Hmmmm? Why does that sound familiar??  :confused:  Oh yeah! I remember now! That's the definition of a rogue program. They scan your computer, tell you how many files were found then you have to pay to remove them. :upset:

I see your point Donna but in fact there are legit companies that work like that because when you have a serious problem on a Hard Drive with Bad sectors, partitions, etc. recovering the data it's complicated and the use of specialized software like GetDataback, R-Studio, etc. is needed.

Even using specialized software the recovery isn't always possible and the results will vary for each tool so it's good to have the option to test the programs and see a preview of the files that can be recovered before spending the money.

What I don't agree at all is to suggest the software without explaining the full conditions of use and implying that it's free when its not.