Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard Disk Detected only in Bios

• Please log in to reply

itcareonline

itcareonline

• Pip
  • 6 posts
i am having 500gb western digital green sata hdd. i always kept it de-attached from pc as i kept the old backed up data on it. i attached it as a secondary for taking some old data but unfortunately it was detected in Bios and was not detected in windows.
After that i attached it as a secondary on two to three different pc's but the case was same.
Another i did i tried to boot with mini windows xp through boot cd, there i noticed that before coming to mini windows i got a blue screed error.
so any can help me to go ahead for taking the data out of such hdd.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
:welcome: itcareonline

As the HDD is detected in the BIOS can I ask if it is also allocated a drive letter such as F: for example.

How much free storage space was/is available on the drive.

itcareonline

itcareonline

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
both of the things are not shown in bios i.e. drive letter and size of hdd

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

both of the things are not shown in bios i.e. drive letter and size of hdd

Can I ask what exactly is showing in the BIOS that suggests that the HDD is detected.

itcareonline

itcareonline

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

As the HDD is detected in the BIOS can I ask if it is also allocated a drive letter such as F: for example.

only hdd model is shown

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

only hdd model is shown

What are the exact model details that are shown please.

itcareonline

itcareonline

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
right now hdd is not with me but i m sure that no drive letter or storage space releated info is shown in bios.
one thing more came to know is that i found ants coming out of the drive's upperside.
and now it has been send for the recovery lab bcos there was not much time to do other r&d.
thanks for the assistance given till now. if u think u can close the issue here else if u need any further info i can give u as per.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Tech topics are not normally closed unless for a particular reason so please let us know how you get on with it.

If you take a look at the example attachment below you will see how you can be sure whether or not a particular HDD is detected in the BIOS or not.

itcareonline

itcareonline

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
as shown in attachment the size of hdd is shown following to model of hdd, but in my case only model name was shown but not the size.