Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem with GPU - System thinks I have two in SLI

• Please log in to reply

icikle

icikle

• PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
Hi,

recently Ive been having trouble with my GPU failing then recovering, causing my screen to go and come back on and display a critical error message saying it failed then recovered.

Also Ive been having troubles where my card will occasionally fail during running a game and it will either reboot, or I will have to end the application using task manager.

I have tried updating the drivers to combat this issue but it still occurs. I have noticed in device manager my system thinks I have two GTX 690's but I do not. Also when I ran 3d mark test the performance results said I was running them in SLI which is a complete lie, I have only one GTX 690.

This is an alienware auruora R4 and just over a year old.

Any assistance would be welcomed and appreciated.

Thanks,

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday icikle.
First I should point out I am not a gamer, so suggestions are what others have tried and not first hand experience.

I have noticed in device manager my system thinks I have two GTX 690's but I do not. Also when I ran 3d mark test the performance results said I was running them in SLI which is a complete lie, I have only one GTX 690.

"GeForce GTX 690 is a dual-GK104 part. Its GPUs aren't neutered in any way, so you end up with 3072 cumulative CUDA cores (1536 * 2), 256 combined texture units (128 * 2), and 64 full-color ROPs (32 * 2).Gone is the NF200 bridge that previously linked GF110 GPUs on Nvidia's GeForce GTX 590. That component was limited to PCI Express 2.0, and these new graphics processors beg for a third-gen-capable connection" sOURCE, http://www.tomshardw...hmark,3193.html
So i will show as running SLI.

I would remove all traces of Nvidia drivers and software, (also ATI if installed) then do a clean install of Nvidia.

Download the Latest certified software package from the GPU manufacturers web site, (not Beta) and save to the desktop.
Please read this page, > http://www.guru3d.co...r_download.html
From the same page use this link to download, > Download version 10.2.0 [ 11520 downloads, which will start emediatley, > save to the desktop. > restart the computer in safe mode, > use the uninstaller, > install the Nvidia package using method (Classic way, Advanced and tick the Clean Install) detailed on this page, > http://www.overclock...rs_nvidia/2.htm
If instructions are not clear, please post.
Let us know if the system is now stable.

icikle

icikle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
I have done all of the above and will monitor my system over the next few days and let you know the outcome.

thanks,

icikle

icikle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
I can confirm my system is far from stable.

An attempt to run DOTA 2 resulted in a massive slow down of my machine and a delayed glitching audio noise through my speakers.

I think my hardware is probably failing at this point.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts
Hello icicle

While iammykyl is offline I have a suggestion for you to try if that is ok.

In order to try and prolong the battery charge time in notebooks Nvidea have a tool called Powermizer and this can sometimes affect the performance of the GPU, see if it is active on your notebook by running the Powermizer switch tool which can be downloaded from here this will allow you to manually control it.

As an asides can I ask if the base of the notebook feels hot to the touch when the issue occurs.

icikle

icikle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
Hi,

it isnt a notebook.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts
My apologies icicle I had the wrong Alenware model in my head :blush:

Can you recall if you had made any changes to the system just previous to the problem initially starting.

What you describe regarding the drop in performance is typical of an overheating problem, I will provide some checks for you to do after your next update.

icikle

icikle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
No, no changes, other than upgrading the drivers as and when they become available through the alienware respawn service but Ive been following that process since owning the system.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts
You will know better than me about the respawn driver updates so can I ask are they all necessary to install or are they like other software company drivers in that you should only update them if you are having issues.

Lets check your temps and voltages;

Download Speedfan and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows. The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.
If you are running on a vista machine, please go to where you installed the program and run the program as administrator.

Posted Image
(this is a screenshot from a vista machine)

To capture and post a screenshot;
Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Depending on the results we may need to run further software for comparison http://www.cpuid.com.../hwmonitor.html

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

Do some gaming or watch a video first before taking the Speedfan screenshot.

icikle

icikle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
image attahed

Attached Thumbnails

• speedfan.jpg

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts
The Speedfan readings may be anomalous so can you run HWMonitor and post a screenshot of those results so that we have a comparison, HWMonitor

Did you note that a HDD problem has also been detected by Speedfan.

icikle

icikle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
I did notice that error but thought it might have happened because as I launched the program, I got another GPU driver fail error.

Could it be my HDD causing this to fail?

Also the screen is attached.

Attached Thumbnails

• screen.jpg

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.
Thanks Phillpower2 for your help and suggestion.

icikle
Temps are still showing as pretty high and I doubt the volt readings are correct. Let see if the Dell Tool picks up a HDD problem, or others.
Go to > http://www.dell.com/...stics/us/en/19/ and run the quick Diagnost first.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts
You are most welcome iammykyl :thumbsup:

icikle

icikle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
Crashed during the dell test to a blank fixed grey screen.

Now I can't keep my machine on long enough before it keeps reoccurring.

Replying via phone :(