Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem with GPU - System thinks I have two in SLI

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
How many beeps and are they long or short beeps.

Advertisements

icikle

icikle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
Continuous, they didnt stop til i rebooted and they were shortish.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Continuous beep = Power supply, system board, or keyboard problem
Repeating short beeps = Power supply or system board problem

See here

icikle

icikle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
So basically, repeating short beeps then.

Most likely my motherboard then, which coincides with the same issues being reported on the Aurora R4 system by others.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
As per my reply #28

Once you have completed any/all steps that iammykyl suggests I would try the video card in the second PCI-E slot, swap in a known good PSU that is capable of supporting all of the present hardware

Establish what the warranty situation is first and then either swap in a known good PSU or have the present one tested by a local tech or tech store, some will do it for free and some charge a small fee so please check with them first.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.
I agree, we should get the PSU sorted, but this may be a problem as it is a Dell generic one> If you do not have a manual that shows exactly where each cable is plugged in?? you may have issues getting it connected up again.
The GTX 690 needs 2 x 6+2 PCI-E connectors. Please read this post then check how your GPU connections are done, > http://forums.evga.c....aspx?m=2032369 large image, > ihttp://forums.evga.c...0930_123117.jpg T

icikle

icikle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
I have returned from being away and will be checking with Dell re the RMA tomorrow...just an update on the proceedings.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Thanks for the update icikle :thumbsup:

icikle

icikle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
I have a dell engineer coming out on Monday to replace the card. Even though its out of warranty, as Im a european customer im covered by a 2 year statutory right warranty.

That being said I think it may be a fruitless effort due to it possibly being the mainboard or the PSU.

Im away in Preston again so all I can do is leave a note asking him to do diagnostics before repairing.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Good call on the two year warranty icikle :thumbsup:

A sensible approach to this by Dell would be to bring along a suitable PSU, MB and video card.
Dell charge £600 to add a GTX 690 to your configuration, use a MB that would cost £100 to £130 and power the system with a claimed 875W output PSU that would cost less than £100 to replace (I am being generous with the PSU cost, as Dell unfortunately do not provide any PSU specs we cannot do any research on it)

A quality brand 1000W gold rated PSU costs circa £131+ so would it not make more sense to swap that first, a replacement MB would most likely also cost around the same amount but is more difficult to replace so I would change that second - if the present PSU is indeed bad it will make a rather expensive paperweight of the replacement GTX 690 when the tech tries it :whistling:

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.
Ye, well done on the RMA, pretty good response from Dell.

If the Tech is competent, he should test the PSU before swapping any parts.

icikle

icikle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
Youre frightening me by quoting prices lol, i hope you dont mean theyre gonna charge me this?

also i dont think gtx 690's are in circa any more so i could end up with an upgrade.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Didn`t mean to alarm you, I was only emphasising how the cost of replacement parts should really dictate what should be checked and replaced first - especially as this will cost Dell and not you ;)

The GTX 690 BTW still retails for £700 to nearly £800 :o

Check the Dell prices here

Dont settle for anything but an exact replacement or an upgrade, both monetary and specification wise, you know about the two year statutory warranty period and so I am sure that you will be aware of your consumer rights regarding this.

icikle

icikle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
To be fair to dell, theyre the ones that told me about the european warranty.

I was trying to explain about the nvidia 3 year warranty and got passed to alienware support. They said it doesnt matter as Im still under the 2 year statutory period and will replace it. They also said they do this no quibbles because of the Alienware brand etc...expensive high end gaming computers. So very good of them in that regard.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
That is decent of them, most retailers will argue about the 2 year warranty simply because they are not aware of or understand it, your contract is with Dell and it is up to them to repair or replace any hardware and for them to then take it up with the manufacturer, not you.