Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

mass storage-This device cannot start. (Code10)

• Please log in to reply

melpin

melpin

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi there..
after i formated my pc (xp professional) , the pc cannot recognise the external hard disc.
I checked the device manager and the following message apears :

This device cannot start. (Code 10)

Click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter for this device.(troubleshoot is useless)

i must account that the disc fall once, but not hard and everything seems alright inside

i also suspect that the disc was responsible for a serious error "your computered just recovered from a serious error...." microsoft answered that the error had something to do with a driver??

Advertisements

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
Hi melpin-
since you said you just formatted the drive and reinstalled the OS, did you install the motherboard drivers?
these would activate the onboard peripherals, such as audio, USB, etc.

also, go into device manager, look for any red X's or yellow !'s. if things such as the USB controllers are displaying that, you need to get the latest drivers for your board and install them.

melpin

melpin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
In the device manager, thought usb ports arent recognised as usb 2 ports, there is no indication that they dont work. Actually other usb devices are working perfectly fine.

the motherboard drivers have not been installed manually

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
if your not showing any problems in device manager, and your integrated system stuff is working, you might not need to install the mobo drivers. this can happen with older systems, like if the component came out before XP did.
It wouldnt hurt to go to the mobo manufacturers website and look at their driver packages available for you board. they might have something newer than what MS loaded.

OK, what is the make/model of the external drive? and you said it fell once. can you connect it to another PC and it works there?