Can't download anything [Solved]
Posted 05 February 2014 - 01:17 AM
Posted 05 February 2014 - 06:49 AM
Please note: I am currently in training and all my fixes must be approved by my teacher before being posted. This gives you the advantage of having two people working to solve your problems.
Before we get started, I have a few things I need to go over with you
- Please do not install any new software during the cleaning process other than the tools I provide for you. This can hinder the cleaning process.
- Please subscribe to this topic. By subscribing, the board will notify you when a new reply is added to your topic. You can find instructions on how to do that by clicking here.
- If any of your security programs give you a warning about any tool I ask you to use, please do not worry. All the links and tools I provide to you will be safe.
- Please read through my instructions carefully and completely before executing them.
- Please make sure that all the programs I ask you to download are downloaded to and run from your Desktop.
- Please make sure you print out these instructions so that you will be able to refer to them while working on your machine. Part of the solution(s) to your problem may involve us working in Safe Mode and you will need them to go by.
- Please do not run any tools other than the ones I ask you to, when I ask you to. Some of these tools can be very dangerous if used improperly. Also, if you use a tool that I have not requested you use, it can cause false positives, thereby delaying the complete cleaning of your machine.
- Please read through my instructions carefully and make sure you complete them from start to finish. I will make sure that I lay the instructions out in a step by step order to make them easy to follow
- This is a complicated process. It requires several steps, patience, and careful following of my instructions in the order they are given to diagnose your problems to get your machine back in working order.
- Please stay with me until the end of all steps and procedures and I declare your system clean. Just because there is a lack of symptoms does not indicate a clean machine. I promise to do the same for you.
- Please make sure you reply within 3 days to my responses, if there is no reply within 3 days, the topic will be closed and you will need to request the topic be reopened.
- Before we get started, please remember we will do our best to get your machine repaired. However, there are some cases where the only solution is a reformat and reinstall of the operating system. This is a worst case scenario though.
- It is impossible for me to know what interactions may happen between your computer's software and the tools we will use to clean your machine. Therefore, I highly recommend you backup any critical personal files on your machine before we start.
- If possible, please have your original Windows installation disks handy, just in case.
- If you have any questions at all, please don't hesitate to ask. There's no such thing as a stupid question when dealing with malware.
- If you are unsure of an instruction I give you, or if something unexepected occurs, Do NOT proceed! Stop and ask for clarification of the instruction or tell me what occurred.
- Please copy and paste the contents of any requested logs in your replies. Do not attach the log files in your replies unless requested to do so.
- Please remember, the fixes are for your machine and your machine ONLY!
Once we have cleaned your machine, we'll have some cleanup and prevention steps to go through. We will also provide you with some information about how to reduce your chances of infection and get some protections in place to help defend you against this in the future
Please be patient while I am analyzing your logs. I know you are probably scared and very frustrated with this problem, but I am a volunteer and sometimes life does get in the way.
Now, let's get started, shall we?
Step 1: Scan with FRST
You will need to download this program to a flash drive and then transfer it to the desktop of the infected computer.
Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool
Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system. If you are not sure which version applies to your system download both of them and try to run them. Only one of them will run on your system, that will be the right version.
- Right click to run as administrator (XP users click run after receipt of Windows Security Warning - Open File). When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
- Press Scan button.
- It will produce a log called FRST.txt in the same directory the tool is run from.
- Please copy and paste log back here.
- The first time the tool is run it generates another log (Addition.txt - also located in the same directory as FRST.exe/FRST64.exe). Please also paste that along with the FRST.txt into your reply.
Step 2: McShield Download
This program I would like you to download and install to protect the machine you used to download to the USB. This will protect the clean computer in case the infection spreads to your USB.
Download MCShield to your desktop and install
- It will initially run a scan and show the result as a toaster by the system clock.
- Then in the control center select Scanner and tick unhide items on flash drives.
- Plug in the drive and McShield will start a scan
- Then get the log which will be here :
- Start > all programs > MCShield > logs > all scans
And post that in your next reply.
Things I need to see in your next post:
Posted 07 February 2014 - 12:21 AM
Posted 07 February 2014 - 06:36 AM
My working computer says the downloads aren't safe. It's my parents computer, and I don't want to mess there stuff up, so I am just going to take this to the computer guy. Thanks for the help.
Ok, thank you for letting me know. I'll have the topic close.
Posted 07 February 2014 - 08:40 AM
If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.
Everyone else please begin a New Topic.
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users