Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot install (some) third party software [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,977 posts
Hi Luke,

Why do you want to keep AVG and Kaspersky Internet Security installed? In my opinion KIS is a superior product and it doesn't like to mix with other security products!
It's highly recommended to remove AVG and after the normal uninstall process you will need to run AVG Remover(32bit) 2014 to completely remove all traces of the program.

If everything is working I don't see the need of other tests.

The tools we use aren't exactly installed but there is a correct way to remove them. I will confirm with my Teacher the final steps for you...

Advertisements

Tyskie

Tyskie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
Hi,

It's highly recommended to remove AVG and after the normal uninstall process you will need to run AVG Remover(32bit) 2014 to completely remove all traces of the program.

I have done this.

The tools we use aren't exactly installed but there is a correct way to remove them. I will confirm with my Teacher the final steps for you...

I shall wait for your reply.

Thanks so much.

Luke.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,977 posts
Hi Luke,

I have done this.

Good :thumbsup:

Before you go there are some housekeeping steps I would like you to do and also some final recommendations to keep your computer safe...

Step 1 - Empty The System Restore

Remove old Restore Points and create a New Clean Restore Point now that everything is working.
  • Right click on the icon Posted Image and choose Run as Administrator to execute the tool. Make sure all other windows are closed and to let it run uninterrupted.
    Do not change any other settings unless otherwise told to do so.
  • Under the Posted Image box at the bottom, paste in the following:
    :Files
    %windir%\system32\vssadmin delete shadows /for=c: /all /quiet /c

:Commands
    [CreateRestorePoint]

• click the Run Fix button at the top
    Notes:
  • when done OTL will show a windows with Fix Complete!, click OK to access the report.
  • Copy & Paste the result in your next reply and not as attachment.

Step 2 - Remove the Tools we use

» OTL
  • Double-click the OTL Icon Posted Image on the Desktop to start the program
    (Accept the UAC prompt to allow changes to the computer).
  • click the Posted Image button. Accept the prompt to Reboot.
» AdwCleaner
  • Double-click then AdwCleaner Icon on the Desktop to run the program.
    (Accept the UAC prompt to allow changes to the computer).
  • click the Uninstall button
» Others
  • Delete any other Program, .log, .txt, file created on the Desktop during the cleaning process.

Step 3 - How to prevent new infections

To protect your computer from being infected again its very important to keep Windows Updated and all the programs related with the internet, Web Browser, Flash Player, Adobe Reader and Java only to mention the most targeted by today security exploits. Follow the instructions below to keep these critical programs updated:
    • Windows and Internet Explorer
      To keep Windows and Internet Explorer updated make sure you have Windows Update enabled on the Control Panel applet, follow the instructions for Windows 7 on this MS article How to configure and use Automatic Updates in Windows or use the FixIt tool provided.
    • Antivirus and Antimalware programs
      Make sure you have a Antivirus program always updated and running.
      Sometimes Antivirus can miss some malware, when that happens its good to have Malwarebytes free installed, Update and run weekly to keep your system clean. Malwarebytes is also good to revert some system changes made by the malware.
    • Enable the Windows Firewall
      No system can be considered safe if not protected by a Firewall. If you are connected to the Internet by a Router you should check its configuration and make sure the firewall is active.
      If you connect by modem or to a open Local Network you should enable the Windows 7 built-in firewall.
    • Adobe Flash Player
      To update Adobe Flash Player accept any prompt to update or manually initiate the update by opening Start Menu > Settings > Control Panel open the applet called Flash Player, on the Advanced tab click the Check Now button. Accept any prompt to install an updated version.
    • Adobe Reader
      Adobe Reader, can be updated if you Open Adobe Reader from the Start Menu, when the program full load click on the Help menu next click the Check for updates now option. Follow the prompts to install any new update.
    • Java Runtime
      When java is installed its extremely important to update immediately when you get a notification pop-up from the Java Updater. Or update manually by opening the Start Menu > Settings > Control Panel, open the applet called Java on the Update tab click the Update Now button. The program will prompt you to install any new updated version available.
      Every time you update Java make sure you uncheck the box asking to Install the Ask Toolbar and make Ask my default search provider

For safety you can have Java installed but disabled in your browsers and only enable it when you need it. You can Enable/Disable Java by executing the following steps:
      Click the Start button Posted Image > Control Panel > Java/Java (32-bit) or Programs if in Classic View, click the Security tab and uncheck the box Enable Java content in the browser and click OK
      Posted Image
  • Keep Installed Programs Up to Date
    It's important to keep all other programs on your computer updated because they can also have security vulnerability explored by the malware to infect you. Therefore, it is also a good idea to check for the latest versions of commonly installed applications to fix vulnerabilities, this can be done manually by using the Update feature included in most programs or you can use one of the following programs to help you with this task:
  • Surf the Net with extra Security
    Every web browser is a target for malware, the bad guys are always trying to explorer security holes to infect the computers, and this is especially true for Internet Explorer because is one of the most used. Using alternatives like Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome can help protecting your computer from infections.
    You can add a extra layer of protection to your web browser by installing two add-ons AdBlockPlus and Web Of Trust (WOT).

:alarm: Security Alert :alarm:

Eventually you may not know but there is a new threat that's currently doing the rounds called Cryptolocker. This is a particularly nasty piece of work as it scans your files for certain file types (*.doc, *.pdf, *.xls, *.jpg, *.odt, and many more) and encrypts them, rendering the files worthless unless you have a decryption key that is generated by the malware specifically for your computer and sent to the Cryptolocker creators. This kind of malware is called RansomWare because they hold the key and ask for a ransom (about $300 USD) to unlock your files, also there is no warranty that you will actually recover your files!

There is no way to guarantee that you are 100% secure against the Cryptolocker threat because the malware is constantly evolving. Presently there is a tiny utility that you can install to minimize the risk called CryptoPrevent, it will set some windows policy restrictions to block the execution of the malware.

Posted Image

The tool can be downloaded here. More information about Cryptolocker can be found on the following topic @bleepingcomputer.com.

::: Some final recommendations :::
Best Regards and have a Safe surfing! :wave:

Tyskie

Tyskie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
SD,

Wow, thank you! Is that it?? It seems like only yesterday I ran into these problems and found this forum and it's actually been over 3 weeks!

I might have to download some malware on purpose so you can help me fix it :lol: (in case you start to sweat, that was a joke and I would never do that. :P)

I really do appreciate all your help - all the while I am aware of the fact that you and your counterparts/Teachers do all of this for free whereas Microsoft would have probably emptied my wallet and not got me to where I am because a) the problem is fixed and b) I'm wiser and more knowledgeable because you talked me through how to fix the issues myself and you taught me about the ever present threats on the internet. And I thought I knew a lot!

As you may remember, I mentioned that I have a problem with another computer experiencing frequent BSOD's. I will post a new thread in the relevant section of the forum and perhaps you will spot it but if not, thanks again for all your help and hard work and all the best for the future! I am sure to return to the forum and will try to help out if I can. Please also thank your Teacher on my behalf.

Luke.

Edit:

OTL Log:

========== FILES ==========
< %windir%\system32\vssadmin delete shadows /for=c: /all /quiet /c >
vssadmin 1.1 - Volume Shadow Copy Service administrative command-line tool
© Copyright 2001-2005 Microsoft Corp.
C:\Users\user1\Desktop\cmd.bat deleted successfully.
C:\Users\user1\Desktop\cmd.txt deleted successfully.
========== COMMANDS ==========
Restore point Set: OTL Restore Point

OTL by OldTimer - Version 3.2.69.0 log created on 02172014_125030

SD, I went to enable Windows Firewall and it is telling me that it is being managed by vendor application Kaspersky Internet Security. Hope that's OK? I could take a screenshot.

Edited by Tyskie, 17 February 2014 - 07:16 AM.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,977 posts

SD,

Wow, thank you! Is that it?? It seems like only yesterday I ran into these problems and found this forum and it's actually been over 3 weeks!

Yep, time flies :)

I might have to download some malware on purpose so you can help me fix it :lol: (in case you start to sweat, that was a joke and I would never do that. :P)

I like a good challenge... I have plenty of malware samples I can send your way if you like to fry your Operating System :lol:

I really do appreciate all your help - all the while I am aware of the fact that you and your counterparts/Teachers do all of this for free whereas Microsoft would have probably emptied my wallet and not got me to where I am because a) the problem is fixed and b) I'm wiser and more knowledgeable because you talked me through how to fix the issues myself and you taught me about the ever present threats on the internet. And I thought I knew a lot!

I'm glad you learned something also, for me every case is a learning experience.
It was a pleasure working with you.

As you may remember, I mentioned that I have a problem with another computer experiencing frequent BSOD's. I will post a new thread in the relevant section of the forum and perhaps you will spot it but if not, thanks again for all your help and hard work and all the best for the future!

Start a new thread describing the problem, I'm sure someone will try to help. Diagnosing BSOD problems can be hard...

I am sure to return to the forum and will try to help out if I can. Please also thank your Teacher on my behalf.

All the help is welcome except on the Malware section where only trained users can post. I will send your compliments to my Teacher, I'm sure he will read this :)

Edit:
SD, I went to enable Windows Firewall and it is telling me that it is being managed by vendor application Kaspersky Internet Security. Hope that's OK? I could take a screenshot.

It's OK. Because Kaspersky Internet Security includes a Firewall it disables the Windows Firewall to avoid conflicts.

Tyskie

Tyskie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
Just to confirm, I am happy for this thread to be closed when you are ready as my problem is now resolved. Hope to catch you again some time!

Best regards,

Luke.

PS. I have started a thread on the BSOD issue (affecting a different PC) in the Windows 7 section of the forum.

Edited by Tyskie, 20 February 2014 - 04:37 AM.

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.