Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows installer keeps flashing and attempting to load after removing

• Please log in to reply

Vorkus

Vorkus

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
I had the Walmart music downloader program installed. Walmart no longer uses it. I attempted to remove it through the remove progs function. After that, The windows installer keeps attempting to load and keeps flashing constantly on my screen. I looked for any entries in the registry manually and deleted them. I ran several registry cleaners. I cant stop the installer from flashing. I even turned off or disabled the installer completely in the registry and it still keeps flashing. Is there anything i can do or do I have to install windows again. I am running XP.

Advertisements

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
What you could do is to uninstall the program with a deep uninstaller software like Revo Uninstaller (free for 30 days so you're good), and then try to uninstall the program. Once it "fails", change the scan mode for "Full/Hard" (the last option) and then delete all the registry keys and files/folders it finds related to that program.

Vorkus

Vorkus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Thanks for your reply Aura. Since I already deleted the program and manually removed all registry keys that I found, would the deep uninstaller still pick anything up? Wouldnt it not list the program in the uninstall options because I already uninstalled it??

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts

Thanks for your reply Aura. Since I already deleted the program and manually removed all registry keys that I found, would the deep uninstaller still pick anything up? Wouldnt it not list the program in the uninstall options because I already uninstalled it??

Sorry I think I misunderstood your problem. You noticed that the Windows Installer have a problem WHEN uninstalling the WalMart application and now you're looking for a way to fix it, is that right ?

Vorkus

Vorkus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
The uninstaller already uninstalled the walmart program. I then afterward went into the registry and manually deleted an entry that related to it also. So now there is no indication of the walmart program on my computer.

Now even if I reboot my computer tha windows installer keeps looking for a file to reload and cant find it. So the INSTALLER keeps flashing on and off constantly.

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts

The uninstaller already uninstalled the walmart program. I then afterward went into the registry and manually deleted an entry that related to it also. So now there is no indication of the walmart program on my computer.

Now even if I reboot my computer tha windows installer keeps looking for a file to reload and cant find it. So the INSTALLER keeps flashing on and off constantly.

That would help me a lot if you were able to provide a screenshot of the problem.

Vorkus

Vorkus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
It flashes on the screen too fast and I cant capture it. When it first started, it had a window that said it was looking for the installation file and couldnt find it. It had a button to cancel. If you pressed the cancel button, it would go away and immediately come back with the same screen over and over saying it couldnt find the installation file. Now a small gray window flashes up that seems to have a cancel button but its maye a tenth of a second on the screen.

The window that opens says PREPARING TO INSTALL and there is a cancel button in the lower riight corner.

Edited by Vorkus, 06 February 2014 - 07:14 PM.

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts

It flashes on the screen too fast and I cant capture it. When it first started, it had a window that said it was looking for the installation file and couldnt find it. It had a button to cancel. If you pressed the cancel button, it would go away and immediately come back with the same screen over and over saying it couldnt find the installation file. Now a small gray window flashes up that seems to have a cancel button but its maye a tenth of a second on the screen.

The window that opens says PREPARING TO INSTALL and there is a cancel button in the lower riight corner.

What you could do is to install Windows Repair All-In-One, and when you get to the list of items to check/repair, just check the Windows MSI (Installer) checkbox.
Alternatively, you could install Windows Repair All-In-One, navigate to Tweaking.com folder in the Program Files, go in Windows Repair, Files, regfiles, xp and run the MSIServer.reg file. Then reboot and see if the issue is still present.

Vorkus

Vorkus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Ok I did it with the repair tool both ways as suggested above. The problem is still coming back.!!!

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts

Ok I did it with the repair tool both ways as suggested above. The problem is still coming back.!!!

Okay, open msconfig and go in the "Startup" tab. Check every programs/processes being launched. Is there one that is still being launched but that would happen to NOT be installed on your system anymore ? OR the program is "broken" ?

Advertisements

Vorkus

Vorkus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
No there is nothing in there that shouldnt be there. Especially the walmart downloader. I know for sure that it was that program that was the culprit because it used to say it couldnt find the walmart file to install before I went into the registry and deleted an entry. Then the specific window did not come back that indicated walmart but the TRYING TO INSTALL window does keep coming back.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Can you post a screen capture of the installer flashing on the screen?

If it is a window or error message window, try running Process Explorer when the window is open, then left click on the Scope site Icon next to the Binocular Icon and drag it to the installer window and release it. That will highlight the process behind the window in white on blue in the Process Explorer window. That may help ID the cause.

Vorkus

Vorkus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
The window keeps flashing too fast to capture it I tried. You dont have time to drag anything over. It is a gray window with the blue bar on top. The blue bar has white letters in it that says WINDOWS INSTALLER.
Then regular black test in window says PREPARING TO INSTALL. THere is a cancel button in the lower right side. Nothing else is there. But it goes on and off in about a tenth of a second.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
What about reinstalling then uninstaing the Walmart program again?

Vorkus

Vorkus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Thats what I would normally do but walmart doesnt have the site to download it anymore because they discontinued the service.