Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System Tools Compromised-Control Panel Missing Icons

• Please log in to reply

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
I had an event this evening at 5:22 Atlantic time. I had just used Nero Wave Editor and was trying to adjust my speakers, but when I went to Control Panel I noticed that some icons were missing as there was an empty space where they had been. I can't get System Tools to work either. When I go to Component Services Under Administrative Services and Look at Events(local) I get the following: Error-COM1-Category 98-Event 4691-Computer WAYNE-5BB

Advertisements

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
Further to thread, when I go to Component Services>System I notice there was a warning indicating source as Tcpip.

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
have corrected Control Panel however, the only System Tool that I can use is Defragmenter which had a shortcut on my desktop. I rebooted in Safe Mode but still the same. In Safe Mode I get a message that to use System Tools I must have Administrator rights. It seems to me that my status as Administrator has been changed. It also indicates that I should log in as Administrator, but I don't know how to do that operation, please explain.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Try booting to Safe Mode with Networking.

Reboot your computer.
Start pressing the F8 key every second or so as soon as you see the manufacturers logo.
Select Safe Mode with Networking from the Advanced Boot Options menu.
Pick Administrator to login with. There should be no password.

Open Control Panel then User Accounts.
Click on your user account icon and check if it's an Administrator level account.
If not, make it one.
If yes, then it's possible you have picked up some kind of malware. Go to the Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal forum, read the info there and follow the posted directions. Once you receive a clean bill of health, come back here if you have any additional questions or concerns or it turns out not to be a malware problem.

Please be patient as that is a very busy area. If you do not receive a response in 3 days, post a message here: What To Do If You Have No Response In 3 Days?

Do not reply to your post there as the malware folks look for posts with no replies first.

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
Much thanks

I am not too concerned with the Windows Media Player as my player of choice is VLC Media Player.