Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is my XP3Pro on the brink of complete breakdown?

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
X16 is too fast for my liking, I`m used to X4 and imgburn

1: Make sure that there are no disks or USB devices in the computer.
2: Shut down the computer.
3: Restart the computer and access the BIOS, check that the CD/DVD drive is still identified as the first boot device, if it is, exit the BIOS, place the AVG ISO in the CD/DVD drive and then restart the computer, see if the computer boots to the ISO, if it doesn`t it suggests a bad burn.

Have you done the above yet and if so was the CD/DVD drive still the first boot device.

Feel free to record the steps :thumbsup:

Advertisements

flat-erica

flat-erica

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
Here we go again :headhurt: Did as exactly as suggested.

Photo 1) Shows IDE CD-ROM DEVICE is selected as no.1
Photo 2) Shows Strike F1 to retry boot, F2 for setup utility
I then placed AVG Rescue disk (latest burn) in drive and pressed key F1.

Photo 3) Shows result: on first line, Strike F1 to retry boot, F2 for setup utility. On second line, ..SOLINUX 5.01 2013-01-28 ETCD_. (note the start of the word ..SOLINUX is off-screen, hence the '..' ).
Dunno what you call it but the line '_' after ETCD_ is blinking like a cursor, like I have to input something.
This message remained on screen. Absolutely nothing changed or happened.

Next. Leaving the cd in drive, I switched off xp manually using power on/off button (the only way possible). About 30 seconds later, I restarted xp again.
Photo 4) Result: ..SOLINUX 5.01 2013-01-28 ETCD_. The line after ETCD is blinking.
End.

The following may or may not be helpful.
A) For several seconds nothing shows on the monitor on initial start-up, just a black screen with maybe some flickering grey. I have to press the monitor power button at least twice before I see anything. I usually see the Dell bit, but it flickers.
B) See keyboard in the photos. I have an Advent illuminated keyboard, but you can clearly see the blue light on right showing numbers lock on.
C) I hear two 'beeps' when I start xp. (Sure I didn't hear them before, but I may be wrong).
D) I also prefer to burn at a slower speed, but 16x is slowest using Active Iso Burner which was part of http://www.geekstogo...ystem-tutorial/ instructions!
Think that's all for now. Phew!
(I really, really do appreciate your input and patience guys! Thanks) xx

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_4178_crop.jpg
  • IMG_4180_a_crop.jpg
  • IMG_4180_b.jpg
  • IMG_4181_crop.jpg

Edited by flat-erica, 16 February 2014 - 06:23 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Please try accessing the AVG ISO on your working computer to see what files are on it, do this after it has booted into Windows btw.

If the files have been burnt to the ISO disk correctly try enabling the HDD as the second boot device on the sick computer and see if it changes the behaviour.

flat-erica

flat-erica

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
Hiya phillpower2.
Rescue cd showed up fine in Win 7. See photos below showing contents.

Regards HDD selection, you mean have both 1.CD-ROM and 2.HD Drive selected/ticked? (see photo)
Hope you understand that I'm just making sure I do this thing correctly!!
X

UPDATE:
Ignore above question.
Just did as you said - result was exactly same as last post (so no point in new photos).
I await your response. :(
x

Attached Thumbnails

• cd_contents_1.jpg
  • cd_contents_2.jpg
  • cd_contents_3.jpg
  • IMG_4169_crop.jpg

Edited by flat-erica, 19 February 2014 - 03:51 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Leaving the cd in drive, I switched off xp manually using power on/off button (the only way possible). About 30 seconds later, I restarted xp again.
Photo 4) Result: ..SOLINUX 5.01 2013-01-28 ETCD_. The line after ETCD is blinking.

Have you tried highlighting this option and then pressing Enter.

C) I hear two 'beeps' when I start xp. (Sure I didn't hear them before, but I may be wrong).

Two beeps = a problem with the memory, this includes video memory.

flat-erica

flat-erica

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
Hello again!

Have you tried highlighting this option and then pressing Enter.

Not sure what you mean by 'highlighting' but I did select an option and pressed enter. (I'm sure I posted photos).

Two beeps = a problem with the memory, this includes video memory

Thinking back, I'm now sure I only heard 1 beep before. Has something happened during my 'procedures' to cause the 2 beeps?
Although I don't really know what video/memory problems are or involve, I'm guessing by your reaction that this is not good.
This situation is really going from bad to worse, isn't it?! :upset:
x

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Although I don't really know what video/memory problems are or involve, I'm guessing by your reaction that this is not good.

My answer was just a FYI.

I am at a loss as to why the disk will not boot, was the optical drive previously working ok.

Is the XP disk that you have specifically for your computer, this will be apparent as it will have Dell written on it somewhere (on the disk or the case), I would like you to see if the computer attempts to boot from the XP disk if you restart the computer with the XP disk in the optical drive.

flat-erica

flat-erica

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
Phew! I thought that was it! So there may still be some hope - I hope!

1st try:
XP cd in. Message said 'Press any key to boot..' but disappeared before I could read or take pic. Then the blue error screen. Switched off with cd still in.

2nd try:
Press any key to boot..,(I hit enter)
Setup is inspecting..,
Setup is loading files..,
Welcome to setup - 3 options: Set up xp, Repair or Quit

EEK! What do I do now?
If you can't reply soon (which I understand) I will just have to Quit.
(Have pics but no time to post them at the mo)
A good sign I think? Fingers crossed..
-------------------------------------------

UPDATE!!
I realised you were offline & prob not back til tomorrow, so I QUIT the above, removed the cd and switched off.
At least we know the drive is working! YAY :happy:

Edited by flat-erica, 19 February 2014 - 07:30 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Phew! I thought that was it! So there may still be some hope - I hope!

There is always hope :thumbsup:

Can you try the Repair option please.

NB: If you are able to repair the OS it will be interesting to see if you are able to access the AVG disk once XP has successfully booted up.

flat-erica

flat-erica

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
Forgot to mention this earlier: - - the cd drive was working fine - - my XP cd is 'authentic, the real mc coy!

I will try the Repair option.

Thanks. x

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Good luck :thumbsup:

flat-erica

flat-erica

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
Tried Repair from XP cd with a wee bit success! My apologies for crappy pics: camera needs set properly but that'll have to wait. Bloomin' technology, sigh.

photo 1) Which windows installation would you like to log onto?  Did not know what to input here coz as you can see, words on the left are off-screen. Hit ENTER to exit. I then googled for info. Found out to type in '1'
photo 2) Armed with the answer I started again, got to the option, this time typed 1 then hit ENTER.   C:\WINDOWS> appeared, not a password option. I have a password btw.
Meanwhile, I had a brainwave and adjusted the screen settings in order to see ALL text!  (Doh - what a fool. Why did I not think of this before?)

photo 3) Somehow managed HELP, which actually offered no help (cheers MS: nothin' new there then), just a list. (The pic shows part of it). I had to laugh: yet again I know not a jot about what I should do next !  Luckily, I figured out one option from the list = EXIT!! :lol:

It's like a game of chess on groundhog day (I don't play, btw). Each time I make a move forward, it gets blocked! Well phillpower2 - it's your move, hehe! ;)

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_4203_crop.jpg
  • IMG_4204_crop.jpg
  • IMG_4205_crop.jpg

Edited by flat-erica, 20 February 2014 - 06:13 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Apologies for the delay (had a long day and nodded off after work :rolleyes: )

Please refer back to the admin tutorial

Just a reminder;

When completed loading files, you will be presented with the following "Windows Setup" screen, and your first option. Select "To set up Windows XP now, press ENTER". DO NOT select Recovery Console.

flat-erica

flat-erica

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
OOps.. I did it wrong. My sincere apologies. :blush: My brain must have been frazzled that night!

Anyhoo. Tried the RIGHT way this time. I have listed the photos in order - they speak for themselves.
Note: I was NOT prompted for password or key. And (again) I reset the monitor to show full text on the left BUT photo 9 shows text off-screen AGAIN.
Back to the drawing board... :wacko:

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_4206_crop.jpg
  • IMG_4207_crop.jpg
  • IMG_4208_crop.jpg
  • IMG_4209_crop.jpg
  • IMG_4210_crop.jpg
  • IMG_4211_crop.jpg
  • IMG_4213_crop.jpg
  • IMG_4214_crop.jpg
  • IMG_4215_crop.jpg

Edited by flat-erica, 22 February 2014 - 09:12 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Can you try starting the computer in Safe Mode with Networking please, if no joy try Safe Mode only.

One of the possible causes of the stop code shown is insufficient space on the HDD, your previous screenshot showed that there was plenty (44%) so there is a chance that there is bad sectors on the HDD.