Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is my XP3Pro on the brink of complete breakdown?

• Please log in to reply

flat-erica

flat-erica

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
Well I tried sfc again - no joy.
So I typed 'help' and got a list of commands: chkdsk, fixboot and fixmbr were listed but no sfc. I typed fixboot and got this: The target partition is C:. Are you sure you want to write a new bootsector to the partition C: ?
Now I don't know what to do!
Will leave the screen as is for a wee while in case you get back to me (but I know it will prob be tomorrow). Hope I can type 'exit' without causing a problem..eek :unsure:

(sorry for poor quality pics).

Found this info: :blink:
fixmbr puts a small piece of code into the MBR (Master Boot
Record) that allows a PC to boot into any MS operating
system.
fixboot puts some code into the boot sector of the active
drive. The code is operating-system specific; in the case
of Windows 2000 it will ensure that the boot process
executes ntldr and ntdetect.com.

UPDATE

Eventually managed to exit, removed cd and switched off.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_4264_crop.jpg
  • IMG_4265_crop.jpg

Edited by flat-erica, 02 March 2014 - 08:09 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

fixmbr puts a small piece of code into the MBR (Master Boot
Record) that allows a PC to boot into any MS operating
system.

The above option is the one to select.

flat-erica

flat-erica

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
Hellooo. Back again.
Results so far..
pic 1) fixmbr
pic 2) result after fixmbr!! Nothing new there.
Cont'd in next post.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_4269_crop.jpg
  • IMG_4271_crop.jpg

Edited by flat-erica, 05 March 2014 - 08:51 AM.

flat-erica

flat-erica

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
Seem to be getting nowhere with the repair options so I bit the bullet and did as you said and used Puppy Linux.
OH JOY - it worked!!
Left the options windows as is (See photos) Personalize, Internet etc.

My documents and folders are all there. YAY!!
Think I've saved everything I need but will double-check. Then am gonna do some reading - find out what this Puppy can do. Like, can it fix xp! :whistling:
I am a lot happier today, thanks to you and PL.
What do I do next? :happy:

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_4277_crop.jpg
  • IMG_4278a_crop.jpg
  • IMG_4280a_crop.jpg
  • IMG_4281_crop.jpg
  • IMG_4282a_crop.jpg

Edited by flat-erica, 05 March 2014 - 09:07 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
Glad to see that you have made progress and well done for that :thumbsup:

As you have been able to access the drive and secure your data it may suggest that the present XP is corrupt beyond repair, three options, 1: Run the diagnosistic tool appropriate to your brand of HDD**, details here, 2: Format, partition and do a fresh installation of XP and 3: Start a topic on the malware forums if you suspect the issue may be malware related.

** Testing the HDD is designed to also operate it under stress and this can cause a flaky HDD to fail, if you are unsure of your brand of HDD let us know but for reference Western Digital HDDs are identified by the letters WD in the BIOS and Seagate as ST (Seagate also own Maxtor now).

flat-erica

flat-erica

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
Is that all I needed Puppy Linux for - to get my files? Can't I use PL to run an av scan or something?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
Using Puppy was a way of backing up your files, it was a way of seeing if the HDD was accessible or not + it allows you to use your computer.

Running virus scans is something that only the trained malware staff are permitted to help you with over on those forums.

I would definitely run the HDD diagnostic tool so that you know whether or not the drive can be trusted.

flat-erica

flat-erica

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
Ok. I will do that. Let you know how I get on. :thumbsup:

UPDATE 1
ps: Just curious, but when you say 'it allows me to use the computer'..

I can see all my files n folders - and even xp's program files.
a) Can I open/run PicPick (for example), or Speccy (for that report you wanted way, way back!)?
b) Or would I use Puppy's 'Paint' or 'Draw' (for example) instead?

ALSO, do I leave the PL cd in or remove it before switching xp off?
I do apologise if these seem silly questions but I'm trying to get my head round this!
Cheers!
x

UPDATE 2
After much searching, I believe Seagate is my HDD brand/manufacturer (see below).
Disk & DVD/CD-ROM Drives
------------------------
Drive: C:
Free Space: 84.4 GB
Total Space: 152.6 GB
File System: NTFS
Model: ST3160815A

If I am right about this, there are several diagnostic options (see link) http://www.tacktech....tid=287#seagate
Now I'm not sure which one I need, but will hazard a guess @ option 1 simply because it is the most up-to-date = SeaTools for DOS v2.23 (Graphical) (02.09.2011) - iso of course. Not sure about the 'graphical' bit tho AND it installs on the system. Can I do that on my xp considering the state it's in?
Ps: I think you are crediting me with more intelligence than I actually have! lol

Edited by flat-erica, 05 March 2014 - 07:27 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
I will be here and good luck :thumbsup:

flat-erica

flat-erica

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
Does that mean I am right to choose SeaTools for DOS v2.23 (Graphical) (02.09.2011)??

Edited by flat-erica, 07 March 2014 - 05:10 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
SeaTools for DOS v1.10 (Text) (11.07.2007)

flat-erica

flat-erica

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
Thanks phillpower2.
Thing is, it needs to be installed on a working pc!
Obviously I can't do that.
Can I install to a cd then run the cd?
Or do I install through Puppy Linux??
Have read SeaTools for Windows User Guide, but will read again to see if I am missing something!

ps: You obviously know your stuff and I have learned sooo much from your points and links - for that I am most grateful to you, I really am. I know you are doing the right thing in helping me to help myself.
But I have to be honest with you because I am struggling. As I said before, I think you must believe me to be more than I actually am - an artist trying very hard to be a (trainee) pc technician!
I could really do with more A, B, C steps if you know what I mean! :blush: Like, give me a list of instructions - large or small - and I will follow them to a 'T'. I would not have to bother you with questions like the ones above. As you know, I don't mind research and reading up on stuff, even tho there is much to take in. But a wee bit more info would be good..
Hope you don't mind me saying this. Just tryin to be constructive! (Just think - you would be rid of me sooner! :lol: )

Edited by flat-erica, 07 March 2014 - 07:15 PM.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
You don't want the windows version because (as you noticed) it works on a working computer.
Use the one for dos. You will download it as an iso image, burn it to CD like you did on the other cd, then boot to the cd.
Instructions are in the following link

Seagate drive diagnostics.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
Thank you 123Runner :thumbsup:

Something odd is going on with the HDD, in your reply #5 screenshot the .jpeg shows the following, Capacity = 149.04GB and free Space = 66.58Gb but in your reply #83 the details that you have post are Drive: C: Free Space: 84.4 GB Total Space: 152.6 GB File System: NTFS Model: ST3160815A, a HDD that is marketed as having a 150GB storage capacity will not in fact hold that amount of data it will store less, the storage capacity will not suddenly increase in size that`s for sure.

The capacity of a HDD reported to an end user by the operating system is less than the amount stated by a drive or system manufacturer due to amongst other things, different units of measuring capacity, capacity consumed by the file system and/or redundancy

flat-erica

flat-erica

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
Dear phillpower2 (and 123runner).
Sorry for my absence. Have been a bit 'under the weather' recently but aim to catch up in the next few days. Thanks for your patience. Be back soon with a progress report!
x