Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Build compatibility

• Please log in to reply

midgetman303

midgetman303

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Building my first computer and I've picked the following parts based on my budget and recommendations from web articles and friends.. Just trying to get some feedback on how feasible these parts are and unsure they are compatible. Don't be too harsh if something seems like a terrible idea, like I said I'm really new to this

I would also be interested to hear how many fans/ anything else I would need to keep it cool and avoid overheating

CPU:AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor
Motherboard:Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P ATX AM3+ Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
GPU: PNY GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card
Case: NZXT Tempest 410 ATX Mid Tower Case
Power supply:Thermaltake TR2 430W ATX Power Supply
Optical drive: Sony 5280S-CB-PLUS DVD/CD Writer

Edited by midgetman303, 06 February 2014 - 10:17 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
:welcome: midgetman303

Trust me we are here to help and not criticize in any way :thumbsup:

With the exception of an underpowered PSU the list of parts is ok in theory, I say in theory as we do not know what the main use of the computer will be, the build would be ok for moderate gaming for example but not for some of the more demanding games on high or ultra settings.

If you would like an alternative lists of parts putting together for you to look over let us know the following please
What the main use of the computer will be.
Your maximum budget.
In which country you will be purchasing the parts.

Here is an example list that uses your core components but with a couple of tweaks, consider swapping your case for this, what do you think.

I mentioned an underpowered PSU, this was apparent because the PNY GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card on your list requires a PSU with a minimum output of 450W and 24A on the +12V rail, details here, the PSU that you have on your list is only 430W and not enough amps on the +12V rail, details here, you will note that the discontinued model had 18A on a single +12V rail and the existing model has 14A on one rail and 15A on a second rail, this does not = 29A as the output is split, the total amps would actually be more like 20A, for that card I would opt for a bronze rated 500W single rail PSU from a trusted brand such as Antec, EVGA, Corsair, OCZ or Seasonic, these are examples of the more commonly used quality PSUs and there are others.

You do not have an OS disk such as Windows 7 64-bit included in the list, what will you be using.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.
+1 for Philpower2's build,

For comparison, this is your build, > http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2OPd2 $659.80

If you can find that bit extra in the budget, consider upgrading the GPU to a GTX 760 > http://www.newegg.co...-_-na-_-na-_-na

Nicholas303

Nicholas303

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I will be using windows 8, I also purchased the system builder..

In regards to the PSU, this was recommended by a buddy, so I don't know too much about finding an alternative... other than getting one that is bronze rated for 500w on a single rail is there any other compatibility requirements?

This will be used as a home pc, with an additional focus on gaming, but gaming is not the only thing I will be doing with it

My original login didn't work so I had to create a new one

Edited by Nicholas303, 07 February 2014 - 09:01 AM.

Alan1998

Alan1998

• PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
In regards to what Iammykyl.

I strongly recommend the ASUS GTZ 760 DC II OC. It's effective and I am able to run BF 4 on Ultra settings w/o lag. (Capped at 60 FPS)

My build is this:

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/2OWJN

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Hello Nicholas303

I will be using windows 8, I also purchased the system builder..

By this do you mean the OEM version and that you have a 25 digit Microsoft product key that is not in use on another computer, this is a very important point!

In regards to the PSU, this was recommended by a buddy, so I don't know too much about finding an alternative... other than getting one that is bronze rated for 500w on a single rail is there any other compatibility requirements?

Stick around here and you will learn to think of me as the 80% (minimum) efficiency bronze rated nag ( when the ears of Michael/iammykyl stop ringing he will vouch for this :lol: )

Please do not consider a build that is so unbalanced that you have a hare versus the tortoise effect,

Nicholas303

Nicholas303

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Yes I have the key a disc on the way for the system builder..

When yiu say 80% efficiency guy do you mean that it you shouldn't be using more than 80% of the power supplys capability??

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Yes I have the key a disc on the way for the system builder..
:thumbsup:

When yiu say 80% efficiency guy do you mean that it you shouldn't be using more than 80% of the power supplys capability??
No!
What this rating means is that the PSU is capable of safely putting out 500W of clean and stable power and that it will do this as a bare minimum 80%+ out of 100% per usage.

As an asides Nicholas303;
Can I ask who guy is :unsure:

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday,
The ears didn't ring, but the rooster on my rooftop sang out loud and clear.

Can I ask who guy is :unsure:

Posted ImageIt's your new name, you just re-christened yourself, Posted Image?
I better not brag I am the Golden Guy.

PS. love the video.