Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Toshiba Sattelite P-70 A crashing (BSOD and stuff)... Help!

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hello Gabrielmgn

Thanks for the update on your topic/s :thumbsup:

godawgs kindly sent me a very comprehensive report on the work that was done within your malware topic, this includes the possible cause of the issue and specific upgrade instructions that were required to upgrade your Toshiba notebook from Windows 8 to 8.1, great work all round :thumbsup:

I can only suggest that you use the notebook as you normally would and see how it goes, hopefully the work that yourself and godawgs have both done has resolved the issue.

Good luck and please keep us posted.

Advertisements

Gabrielmgn

Gabrielmgn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Okay! I will come back if my computer presents any more issues then. Thank you for all your help! :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
You are most welcome Gabrielmgn :)

Gabrielmgn

Gabrielmgn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Well, it`s been quite a while since my last blue screen... In fact, it just happened and the error was something like "a driver has overrun a stack-based buffer". I'm no expert, but I guess one of my drivers isn't working properly (I'm still hoping my problem isn't hadrware :(). I've gone ahead and uploaded the dump file:

http://www.datafilehost.com/d/f3a832ed

Hope I can get things fixed this time!

Edit: An unrelated question... Which method should I follow to defrag my hard drive on a routine basis? And how long should I wait before doing it again? A week, a month? Thank you! :)

Edit2: Well... on the last hour around 4 BSODs have happened and... I'm quite worried how they started to happen just like that out of the blue (LoL). Anyway, Here are the other dump files generated...

http://www.datafilehost.com/d/a5142ee6

Edited by Gabrielmgn, 19 February 2014 - 10:01 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
To see if we can identify any driver conflicts please refer to the copy/paste details below provided courtesy of jcgriff2 :thumbsup:

1. Create a Windows System Restore Point -
Vista - START | type rstrui - create a restore point
Windows 7 - START | type create | select "Create a Restore Point"

2. Run the Driver Verifier -
Go to START | type verifier | make these selections -

1. Select 2nd option - "Create custom settings (for code developers)"
2. Select 2nd option - "Select individual settings from a full list"
3. Check these boxes -▪ Special Pool
▪ Pool Tracking
▪ Force IRQL checking
▪ Deadlock Detection
▪ Security Checks (new as of Windows 7)
▪ Concurrency Stress Test (new as of Windows 8)
▪ DDI compliance checking (new as of Windows 8)
▪ Miscellaneous Checks4. Select last option - "Select driver names from a list"
5. Click on the Provider heading - sorts list by Provider
6. Check ALL boxes where "Microsoft" IS NOT the Provider
7. Click on Finish
8. Re-boot*** IMPORTANT - PLEASE READ:

- If the Driver Verifier (DV) finds a violation, it will result in a BSOD

- After re-start, you may not be able to log on to normal Windows
... • Boot into SAFEMODE - tap the F8 key repeatedly during boot-up
... • Select "System Restore"
... • Choose the restore point that you created in step #1

- For Driver Verifier status
--- select last option, 1st screen -or-
--- type verifier /query (in a cmd/DOS screen)
- To turn Driver Verifier off - verifier /reset then re-boot

- The Driver Verifier needs to run as long as possible - even if the status screen appears clear.
- All future BSOD dumps must be VERIFIER_ENABLED_MINIDUMPs - otherwise the dump(s) are of no use

If your system does BSOD while the Driver Verifier is running, please retrieve the dump file from c:\windows\minidump and attach it to your next reply.

Edit: An unrelated question... Which method should I follow to defrag my hard drive on a routine basis? And how long should I wait before doing it again? A week, a month? Thank you! :)

Use Auslogic to defrag the HDD.
How often you should defrag the HDD depends on how often the computer is used and how much data is transferred backwards and forwards, for everyday use I suggest every couple of months and no more.

Gabrielmgn

Gabrielmgn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
All right, I finished the procedures and coul reboot the computer with no problems. But what now? Was I supposed to get a log after rebooting or the verifier will be running on the background and when I get a BSOD it will generate a different dumpfile? In that case, shouldn't I just leave it on for good?

Thanks for the tips on the defrag! Will do. :)

Edit: Oh, I almost forgot to say: on my verifications list, I couldn't find the "Concurrency Stress Test (new as of Windows 8)", even though all the others were there with the exact name you typed... Will I have problems for not activating it?

Edited by Gabrielmgn, 20 February 2014 - 05:30 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

All right, I finished the procedures and coul reboot the computer with no problems. But what now? Was I supposed to get a log after rebooting or the verifier will be running on the background and when I get a BSOD it will generate a different dumpfile? In that case, shouldn't I just leave it on for good?
Leave DV running for a minimum of 24 hrs (36 to 48hrs if possible), if a bad driver causes the system to crash it will be identified in a new crash dump.

Thanks for the tips on the defrag! Will do. :)
You are most welcome :)

People often have the misconception that you have to defrag a HDD on a regular basis, overdoing de-fragmentation of the HDD can not only cause the data on the HDD to become fragmented but also add unnecessary stress + undue wear and tear on the device, just a FYI for future reference, there is no need and you should not defrag an SSD.

Edit: Oh, I almost forgot to say: on my verifications list, I couldn't find the "Concurrency Stress Test (new as of Windows 8)", even though all the others were there with the exact name you typed... Will I have problems for not activating it?
Not sure why the option is not listed, it shouldn`t cause you any problems not being able to select it but it would help with the troubleshooting as it tests the drivers when the computer (and drivers) are idle and under load.

Gabrielmgn

Gabrielmgn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Hello there! Since I did the procedures to activate the verifier, Windows has generated three new dump files. You'll find them in the link:

http://www.datafilehost.com/d/a1cf2dfc

Hope you can figure it out... Oh and thanks for clarifying it to me! :)
Should I deactivate the verifier now?

Edit: and about the option not listed, I think it will not be a problem, since my computer hasn't had BSOD when idle...

Edited by Gabrielmgn, 22 February 2014 - 12:30 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hello Gabrielmgn

Please disable DV now;

- To turn Driver Verifier off - verifier /reset then re-boot

Download and save the appropriate drivers for your wi-fi/network card from here or here

Create a new restore point, go into Device Manager and uninstall the wi-fi card/drivers, restart the computer, allow the hardware wizard to detect the device and then manually install the drivers.

See how things go.

Gabrielmgn

Gabrielmgn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Ok, did it. What if I have another BSOD? Shouldn't I leave verifier on?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
No, leaving DV could actually create problems, it is a diagnostic tool that should only be enabled when troubleshooting.

Gabrielmgn

Gabrielmgn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Oh, all right. Sorry for all the questioning... They're out of curiosity rather than doubt haha! Thank you! I'll comeback with feedback in a while! :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
No problem - ask away :thumbsup:

Gabrielmgn

Gabrielmgn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
I'm back! This time I've come with good news, haha! No BSOD so far! :D

But then again, sometimes my computer stops doing everything, like it's processing one information forever and can't finish processing it. I can move the mouse, but can't open task manager to try to end any broken process and I can't open the settings by swiping the right edge of the screen to click on "Restart computer"... My only way out is holding the power button to shut down the computer and then turn it back on after a little while. When it reboots, everything seems fine. Do you think this may be still a problem with drivers?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Partially good news then at least :thumbsup:

Use Process Explorer to track down what if any processes are running (resource hogs), Process Explorer available from here and very helpful information as to how to use Process Explorer available from here