To see if we can identify any driver conflicts please refer to the copy/paste details below provided courtesy of jcgriff2
1. Create a Windows System Restore Point -
Vista - START | type rstrui - create a restore point
Windows 7 - START | type create | select "Create a Restore Point"
2. Run the Driver Verifier -
Go to START | type verifier
| make these selections -
1. Select 2nd option - "Create custom settings (for code developers)"
2. Select 2nd option - "Select individual settings from a full list"
3. Check these boxes -▪ Special Pool
▪ Pool Tracking
▪ Force IRQL checking
▪ Deadlock Detection
▪ Security Checks (new as of Windows 7)
▪ Concurrency Stress Test (new as of Windows 8)
▪ DDI compliance checking (new as of Windows 8)
▪ Miscellaneous Checks4. Select last option - "Select driver names from a list"
5. Click on the Provider heading - sorts list by Provider
6. Check ALL boxes where "Microsoft" IS NOT the Provider
7. Click on Finish
8. Re-boot*** IMPORTANT - PLEASE READ:
- If the Driver Verifier (DV) finds a violation, it will result in a BSOD
- After re-start, you may not be able to log on to normal Windows
... • Boot into SAFEMODE - tap the F8 key repeatedly during boot-up
... • Select "System Restore"
... • Choose the restore point that you created in step #1
- For Driver Verifier status
--- select last option, 1st screen -or-
--- type verifier /query
(in a cmd/DOS screen)
- To turn Driver Verifier off - verifier /reset
- The Driver Verifier needs to run as long as possible - even if the status screen appears clear.
- All future BSOD dumps must be VERIFIER_ENABLED_MINIDUMPs - otherwise the dump(s) are of no use
If your system does BSOD while the Driver Verifier is running, please retrieve the dump file from c:\windows\minidump
and attach it to your next reply.
Edit: An unrelated question... Which method should I follow to defrag my hard drive on a routine basis? And how long should I wait before doing it again? A week, a month? Thank you!
to defrag the HDD.
How often you should defrag the HDD depends on how often the computer is used and how much data is transferred backwards and forwards, for everyday use I suggest every couple of months and no more.