Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows updates repeatedly failing to install

• Please log in to reply

TonyQ

TonyQ

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I'm completely stumped. I hope there's someone here who knows more about this and can help. The basic problem is that two updates to Windows 7 (Home Premium Edition) have been "stuck" for several months. Every time the computer is booted, it indicates there are updates waiting, but whether I install them manually or "install updates and shutdown" they both always fail. I have tried the Microsoft "fix Windows Update" tool and that didn't fix it.

The two updates are: Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 10 for Windows 7 Service Pack 1 for x64-based System (KB2898785) and Internet Explorer 11 for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems.

I run Norton Internet Security, it's up to date, and I've done a full scan since trying to fix the problem. I've run Malwarebytes Anti-Malware scanner and Anti-Rootkit scanner. I've run ESET Scanner yesterday - it found some instances of Toolbar.Conduit.H which have been quarantined.

If someone is willing and able to help, I'd be extremely grateful. Having worked in IT security for a large part of my working life, I certainly don't like being unable to apply a security update - sadly my knowledge has been growing rusty for a couple of years now!

Cheers,
Tony

Advertisements

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
One of the update is trying to install a patch forInternet Explorer 10 while the other one tries to install Internet Explorer 11. What you can do is to install Internet Explorer 11 directly and not have to worry about these updates anymore.

http://windows.micro...dwide-languages

TonyQ

TonyQ

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Ok, I'll try that. Thanks.

TonyQ

TonyQ

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
After a minute or so, it comes up with an unhelpful pop-up entitled "Internet Explorer did not finish installing" with the text "For more information, see the Internet Explorer Troubleshooter. This link is also on your desktop for later reference."

Looking at that page, there's nothing that jumps out as a system requirement that my computer doesn't meet - SP1 installed, plenty of memory and disk space, etc. I took a look at the link to ".NET Framework problems with Internet Explorer 11" at http://technet.micro...y/dn338133.aspx to see if that might help, by the registry key that it said change for x64 systems (HKLM/SOFTWARE/Wow6432Node/.NETFramework) doesn't exist on my computer.

What's the next step, please?

Thanks,
Tony

TonyQ

TonyQ

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Is it possible to have further assistance on this case, please?

Thanks,
Tony