Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help configuring my new ssd install

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
I have just reinstalled windows 7 on my ssd, and i would like some tips on how to get the most out of my ssd.

for example changing the varible path for my desktop and downloads, what do i need to disable or change values on stuff like this.

i have seen many different guides online but i want some professional advice. because i don't want to do anything that will kill my computer

here's my computers specs and what i have done.

AMD FX-6100 3.3ghz
8GB DDR3
HIS 5670 1GB GDDR5
120GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD (OS)
1.5TB Seagate HDD (DATA)
Couger 650W 80+ bronze

so far all i have done is installed:

Windows 7 Pro
Installed the missing drivers for my hardware
Installed My antivirus
Installed google chrome

Edited by 314, 08 February 2014 - 04:49 AM.

Advertisements

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
I know You said you've read guides, but there's one you should definitively look into, its a real reference.

http://www.overclock...e-for-ssds-hdds

It contains an handful of tips, tricks and procedures in order to set up your Windows installation on your SSD and prepare your HDD to receive all the files, folders, etc. That are useless on the SSD in order to keep it clean and fast. You don't have to do everything listed there but I'm sure you'll like to follow a few steps in this guide.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.
That is a good guide that Aura has recommended. As with all tweaking of the OS, you do stand the chance of making it unstable, but you will not break the computer, just mess it up and have to do a reinstall.
We are not paid IT professionals, just enthusiastic volunteers. Best advice, first step create a drive image and recovery media. go slowly, test after changing things, do the basics, create a manual System Restore Point before each alteration, then you can go back if needs be. Do not be tempted to use programs that promise to make your system run faster, Registry cleaners/optimizers, it's all snake oil and often does more damage than good.